View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

I really enjoy being an AE. At least on F-18s we literally touch every part of the jet. I know the hydraulic system, the engine system, even a bit about the oxygen system. Obviously, I mostly deal with the wiring and lighting, but our wires go to everything so I have to be able to understand the whole aircraft. And even though ATs mostly deal with the computers (for communication, radar, weapons, etc), AEs are responsible for the computers running the flight controls. Also, as an AE its highly looked upon if we get Turn Qualed, meaning you are qualified to turn on the jet's engines and ensure everything is running smoothly so that the pilot can safely fly it. I really think it's the best rate if you want to know the whole aircraft and enjoy troubleshooting.
As far as advancement goes. Both rates are doing decent, though the advancement rate has been declining. Of course it is hard to predict the future and I believe ATs actually have a better advancement rate at the moment.
USMAPs is great for any rating really. You just have to log your work hours and once you meet the requirements, you are given a certificate that you can use for civilian employment. I believe it's run by the department of labor.

Don't feel bad for asking a lot of questions, that's what I (and everyone else) is here for. To help you out and give you more knowledge than we had coming in.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote