View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 AM   #7
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyofBuMed View Post
Hell yeah bring (or rather, procure) a stethoscope, corps school ones suck... provided that you actually give a crap about being able to hear things.. if you just wanna get paid and you're not really passionate about medicine, use navy issued things.

If you get your own, go big and get the Littmann cardiology III (as cheap as $150), Your command will likely provide littmann classics when you arrive, and you wouldn't want your purchased stethoscope to become obsolete to the tools given to assess actual patients when you finish school.
Everyone says corps school stethescopes suck. I can hear accurate breath sounds with a $5 disposable stethescope. There is no reason to buy a Littmann Cardiology III...unless you're out there looking for heart murmurs...which you won't be. As a new corpsman you'll be doing blood pressures and listening to lung sounds at the most. I was a civilian RT before I became and AD one. I've had a Littmann Classic (much better price for someone making approximately $1500 a month) for the 5 years I've been practicing. My husband carried a Littmann classic in combat as well as did one of the RT's I work with now. The instructor that told me to buy a Littmann Classic has been using that same stethescope for God knows how long...but by all means waste money on an expensive stethescope that will probably get lost or stolen.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote