View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be a lifer I would not go Nuke. Nukes are beaten like dogs through training and pumped with a lot of elitist stuff about the program to attempt to rationalize the suck. The reactor doesn't have an off switch so someone has to keep an eye on it, even in port. Nukes often don't get to go on a port call if they do it's rather short. Most people deal with it to get out of the Navy and get a civie job with great pay. I'd consider putting in a DAR to switch rates if you are already having doubts. So that's my usual soapbox speech.

Answering your questions.

1. Command wise nukes don't get treated differently. However I've seen stuff on the forums around the web about other sailors disliking Nukes because they're nukes. This is largely dependent on individual experience so I don't put much stock in it but it is out there. Traveling you will do, but seeing the places you travel to is luck.

2. There is a high number of unhappy nukes on the web but not so many unhappy MAs or HMs so I think there is a lot to dislike within the program. I have speculations on why that is but I won't get into it.

3. It's hard to find long timers in the NF so I can't share information there. My research shows that once a Nuke always a nuke if you make it through training the only way out is a body bag or discharge.

I tried to be brief I can expand on some stuff if asked specifically. I'm not a nuke just had a lot of time to data mine.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote