Thread: NUKE questions.
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdteegardin1 View Post
okay, i jsut signed my nuke contract and i have a few questions.
1: how long does it take to get a security clearance?
2: what is the process for getting a security clearance?
3: will i know when my clearance came in?
4: my ship date is 20141029. will it be cold when i go?
5: can i get an earlier ship date?
6: when i went to my first DEP meeting, some of the people there had this id card. what is that for and am i required one?
I'll save the Nuke-specific questions for the folks in your program... but for clearance questions:

1. A Secret clearance will take about 1-2 months from the date it's started, to when it's granted... it's all basically irrelevant to you though, because everything for a Secret is done without your participation and you'll just get it while in DEP. It's possible you may need to have in in-person interview if your recruiter sucks at filling out the paperwork... but most don't.

2. First, you'll fill out an SF-86... that's the standard government form for all levels of clearance from Secret to SCI. Once MEPS submits your paperwork, someone from the Office of Personnel Management will get assigned your case and will conduct a National Agency check... this is an inquiry of FBI, state, county, and local law enforcement databases for all places you've lived or worked. OPM will also check your credit history and Social Security records to verify all employment data was disclosed. As long as you don't lie on your paperwork, you'll be granted a clearance.

3. Nope... the only way to check your access level is through sites that require a Common Access Card (Military ID). If you don't hear anything by the time you leave for RTC, you have a clearance. At some point during basic, you should have a chance to log into various .mil websites and can check your clearance level then.

4. I was in Great Lakes as a recruit from 18 September to 16 November... we got our first snowfall my last week there. It'll be cold, but not freezing.

5. It's possible, but rare... talk to your recruiter about submitting a DEP Action Request, or DAR.

6. That's a DEP ID, which is kinda sorta technically a military ID... I was able to get access to the local Coast Guard base with it, and you can see if places will offer you a military discount. Other than that, it serves no real purpose.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote