View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
The competition will depend on how many are actually qualified to do that job..like have they done it before, how long and how good they are. They will pick the absolute best...as they perform in front of a lot of important dignitaries during the PIR.
Eh… while experience and knowledge is a factor on picking a drum major for the recruit band (you just have to know the basic time patterns), it's more a matter of instrumentation. The Sr. Chief at the time I went through bootcamp wasn't about to let me drum major even though I was the most qualified for the job because he needed my instrument for the graduation. But if there is an overabundance of one section, someone from that instrument will probably get picked. If you really want to drum major, let the chief in charge of the band know. He's a pretty nice guy and will probably work with you.

That being said, the drum major doesn't really do anything other than blow a whistle and walk in front of the recruit band. They don't play any honors or the anthem, or really any musical support while 'dignitaries' are entering or leaving the ceremony, that's the job of NBGL.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote