View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

A pocket Bible (or another specifically religious text) is the perfect smuggling tool. It is specifically allowed for you to bring one small copy of such a thing. And the fact that it's a touchy subject means you don't have to be the least bit genuinely religious, because the RDC can't very well make you justify having one by interrogating you on your knowledge of scripture. Do be aware that if you run into anyone seriously devout, they might be offended by your "defacing" their holy text. So don't pick a Quran. Really.

Unfortunately, no other literature would work for this. Philosophy is near to my heart as well, but a copy of Plato's Republic doesn't make the Navy's protected list. Maybe you could try with Sun Tzu's Art of War, though...

At my MEPS, in the ceremonial swearing-in room, there was a stack of desert camo pocket Bibles about the size of a large index card, in a box labeled "Free Bibles, please take one!". (I have to say I was quite annoyed by this obvious favoritism.) The Bible being the single most printed book in history, you should not have the slightest difficulty finding this size before you ship.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote