View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

900 divisions pick up every week, but which TYPE of 900 changes. One week is staff, one week is Triple Threat (Band, Choir, Color Guard - the spinning/trick rifle kind, not the kind that marches with the flag), and the next week is State Flags, then its Staffs week all over again!

The needs for each division is different and so if you meet the requirements for one, doesn't mean that is picking up that week.

Staff - All Male Division - Qualities they look for: Military Bearing (times like 50), Intelligence (high ASVAB score), Military Appearance (Clean, professional, and fit looking), and Physical Fitness. Confidence is also key here.

State Flags - Integrated Division - Qualities they look for: Height (times like 50, all State Flags are within 2" tall of each other, I forget the exact height they look for, but I think its around 5'6 or 5'8), and Military Bearing.

Triple Threat - Integrated Division - Qualities they look for: Talent (times like 50. If you did color guard, were experienced playing an instrument, or were a good singer that's the key), Intelligence also (high ASVAB), and Military bearing.

I was a 900 Staff division and the petty officer selecting who was going into division would interview you, asking about your swimming and PT abilities, rate, ASVAB, etc. He would also push your military bearing, if you left off petty officer (definitely if you forgot twice) you were out, he'd tell you to sit. After interviewing me (You stand at attention surrounded by other recruits answering their questions), he had me stand at attention for 20 minutes to see if I would break military bearing (look around, fidget, etc) before putting me into the 900. When you're going down the P-way at arrival, go through urinalysis, and initial issue they are watching you to decide if they're even going to put you aside for interview.

900 is cool and is a heck of a way to do boot camp and I liked it, but I wasn't trying to get it. However you do work A LOT harder. You PT more, have less time in class to study and learn the same information as regular ("rifle land") divisions, and have the added responsibilities of being at the Drill Hall practicing on Saturdays for performances, instead of practicing and training like every other division in your grad group. Just to make it harder, some 900's are push divisions giving you even less time to complete it all.

If you go for it, make the decision carefully, they don't ask you, they pick you and you get told, you can't turn down 900. Its really like a pick your poison.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote