View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
SDtech

SDtech is on a distinguished road

Of my dep crew I would say 3 or 4 are HM, so I know they are giving out the rating. I know you are in college but just be aware of how the asvab works. I took the practice asvab and got an 83 or 85, cant remember. Studied a bit and got a 95 on the real thing. I was stoked because I thought I could do whatever I wanted, turns out it just basically tells the navy what you are qualified to do. So someone who say got a 90 has no worse or better shot of getting HM than you would if you scored higher. How it works is, okay you did well you are qualified for x y and z and y/z are available.

My advice having been through the process (although not with the rating you want) is to take your asvab. Do as well as you can (the scores can be used for all branches). Tell the recruiter what they want to hear, that you are open to anything in medical. Get cleared and talk to the classifier, if they cant offer you HM walk and take your chances with army or another branch. Meps will have your paperwork from your physical and your issues should be worked out in advance so the next time will be quicker. If the rating is as impacted as you say a DAR might not work (changing rating while in dep). I would not go in unless you know its HM.
SDtech is offline   Reply With Quote