View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My son said that nuke school is all on how you approach it...if you are really good in math, physics and such..A school is a breeze. Power school he found much harder as the formulas they had them use were WAY different than what he was taught. Prototype was hard, but my son was one of those that is a perfectionist...so he graduated 2nd in the class from Prototype. Remember, the wash out rate is VERY HIGH! You are basically being taught 3 years of college level math, physics, calculus and other stuff in 18 months of actual schooling time..3 months less if you get MM rating.
I know many people play it down and recruiters will not tell you this..YES..there ARE suicide attempts and actual suicides at nuke school. My sons best friends room mate committed suicide over one weekend while he was gone. It is very stressful as you really need to study a lot and often..BUT do at least take one day off each weekend to decompress! Get into a really good study group while there and make friends. If you can keep that up with all the other crap that goes on, deal with the stress, study, lack of sleep, standing watch duty, inspections and pass your tests the first time around...you should be ok.
The stress does not stop once you get to your ship...FIVE sailors from my sons ship in his nuke department attempted suicide all in one week when they returned from deployment....it truly is one of the hardest and most stressful jobs in the navy...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote