NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Prone Float (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6639)

futresailrfets 04-25-2015 08:50 PM

Prone Float

Hey all. I have been practicing my swimming lately. The only thing that still freaks me out is the prone float. I seem to do okay when I hold my nose. My question is, are we allowed to plug our nose in boot camp while doing the one minute prone float? Or do we have to just breathe out through our nose?

jzhaun 04-25-2015 09:56 PM

If it was only 1 minute, maybe plugging your nose would work, but it's 5 minutes. Generally you come up to breathe for a sec and then put your face back in the water.

futresailrfets 04-26-2015 09:04 AM

Oh really? I thought it was a minute. Are we still allowed to plug our nose in between breaths?

YN2(AW)Williams 04-26-2015 10:04 AM

If I were you, I would try my best to overcome the apprehension and do it without plugging your nose. A common technique to help with that is to breath out through your nose ever so slightly so that the air bubbles form a sort of plug.

The point of that float is to remain calm and consume as little energy as possible, as a survival technique. If you are using one hand to plug your nose, then you are going to have to expend that much more energy to stay afloat. Unless you just naturally float really well, most people have to move their arms and legs just a little to keep oriented. Doing it short one hand will not be easier, and judging by what others have said if you move too much you will get yelled at.

I have to ask, are you ok swimming underwater without plugging your nose? Because if so, how is this functionally different?

LT Guppy 04-26-2015 12:24 PM

I promise it's all mental. You can do it without plugging your nose.

futresailrfets 04-26-2015 01:25 PM

PringleMan thanks for that reply. Yes I can swim under water without plugging my nose. I know it's all mental. Maybe its just the fear of being still and feeling as though I will sink. I feel like when I just lay there, I have no control. Its weird how just plugging my nose makes me feel like I have some sort of control. Not sure why! I will keep practing though..

futresailrfets 04-26-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 53423)
I promise it's all mental. You can do it without plugging your nose.

Thanks. I know.. I am so scared of failing! I will keep practicing and keep trying to stay calm.

Charmed 06-28-2015 06:32 PM

floating

I heard you also have to float on your back. Is that true?

Haasino 06-28-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 54547)

No, you float face-down... hence, prone vs. supine float, lol.

Spook 06-28-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 54547)

The swim test consists of this:
1. jumping off of a 10 ft. platform
2. swimming the length of the pool
3. 5 minute prone float
4. a bunch of waiting in line
5. coverall flotation

There is no straight up floating on your back during the test.