NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Correctly Responding to Insignia Questions at Basic (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5251)

PercMastaFTW 02-27-2014 01:12 AM

Correctly Responding to Insignia Questions at Basic

So, I've been told the RDC's ask you specific questions such as what a certain rank wears as a collar device, or what a rank wears on their dress blue sleeves.

I would answer "Petty Officer, an O-8 wears on their dress blue sleeves: 1 two-inch gold stripe and 1 half-inch gold stripe, Petty Officer."

But I've been reading this officer manual that has the "rank structure."

It reads this for O-8:
"Sir/ma'am, an O-8 in the United States Navy it's a Rear Admiral (Upper Half). His insignia is a two silver five-pointed star collar device, or two silver five-pointed stars outboard of one silver fouled anchor on Gold shoulder boards, or one two-inch hold stripe below one 1/2 inch gold stripe below one Gold five-pointed star on service dress blue uniform sleeves."

Is that only for Officers, though?

Another somewhat insignia related question is, how do they ask about the shoulder board? Do they just ask what an O-8 wears on their white dress blues?

bronxCTM 02-27-2014 01:56 AM

That is just about correct. The officer question doesn't seem as specific as the one asked by the petty officer so that may be why there is more to answer.

PercMastaFTW 02-27-2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronxCTM (Post 41789)
That is just about correct. The officer question doesn't seem as specific as the one asked by the petty officer so that may be why there is more to answer.

All right, thanks bronx. What would make the answer "more" correct, then? haha

bronxCTM 02-27-2014 02:30 AM

Lol well I guess it is correct--it is usually said "on the sleeves of his or her dress blue uniform." Lol its the same thing don't worry :p

LT Guppy 02-27-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronxCTM (Post 41789)

For officers, that's the phrasing for the whole description, but they only ask for a part of it.

jzhaun 02-27-2014 07:55 AM

From what I observed, they generally ask those kinds of questions in context of your chain of command - for instance "What does the Military Training Director/Commanding Officer of RTC/Chief of Naval Operations wear on the sleeve of his or her dress blue uniform?" They won't just say the rank unless it's something that isn't covered like a warrant officer.

PercMastaFTW 02-27-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronxCTM (Post 41794)
Lol well I guess it is correct--it is usually said "on the sleeves of his or her dress blue uniform." Lol its the same thing don't worry :p

Haha so both will be considered correct? I just want to learn the "correct" version that won't get me in trouble, and learn it before I go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 41797)
For officers, that's the phrasing for the whole description, but they only ask for a part of it.

Yeah, they seem to acknowledge the part we're speaking about at the end of each section, but I've been taught to answer it stating the question first, then the answer.

Also, they seem to explain a lot of things differently. Like, 5-pointed silver star instead of just "and one silver star." The also seem to explain the background color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 41802)
From what I observed, they generally ask those kinds of questions in context of your chain of command - for instance "What does the Military Training Director/Commanding Officer of RTC/Chief of Naval Operations wear on the sleeve of his or her dress blue uniform?" They won't just say the rank unless it's something that isn't covered like a warrant officer.

Ah man, thanks for the tips. That's pretty tricky!!! Very good to know...

fellawip 02-27-2014 05:58 PM

Where can I look for that exact info

LT Guppy 02-27-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fellawip (Post 41829)
Where can I look for that exact info

What info are you looking for?

Auridan 02-27-2014 07:28 PM

Learn the information now, and get the framework when you arrive. Every RDC is liable to have some variation in how they want to hear it. You'll get plenty of practice, anyway.

fellawip 02-27-2014 07:57 PM

The exact explanation of every rank. Collar and sleeve

LT Guppy 02-27-2014 08:31 PM

Like Auridan said, the phrasing can differ based on what the RDC wants, but here are the complete descriptions:

This is the OCS gouge book, but it's the same insignia information you'll need to know.
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pdfs/Updated....Pack.OCS2.pdf

fellawip 02-27-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 41841)
Like Auridan said, the phrasing can differ based on what the RDC wants, but here are the complete descriptions:

This is the OCS gouge book, but it's the same insignia information you'll need to know.

Thanks!

AramilX 02-28-2014 12:23 AM

Interesting read. I like the more accurate descriptions.

PercMastaFTW 02-28-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 41841)

Are the OCS the way we need to respond though? They seem to acknowledge the collar device/sleeve at the end, instead of the beginning.

Are the basic answers for enlisted boot camp then? Or is OCS standard supposed to be the correct way no matter what?

LT Guppy 02-28-2014 05:37 AM

Likes been mentioned, the phrasing can change slightly depending on your RDC.
You should be focusing on learning the content instead of the verbatim.

I posted the OCS version because it tends to have more information, that way you know he entire description. For example, at OCS, we say "a 5 pointed star" whereas at RDC you would typically just say "a star"

BubbaGumps64 02-28-2014 09:32 AM

My advice: study rank and recognition and know how to properly identify everything. Know what is on the sleeve, shoulder boards, and collar device for all ranks. Know the titles too. Don't worry about how to phrase your answers. From what I've been told, your RDC's will tell you how they want you to phrase your answers. I guess all RDC's are different.