NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500 (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Hospital Corpsmen shore duty and sea duty periods? (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7406)

jbpr77 01-31-2017 07:11 AM

Hospital Corpsmen shore duty and sea duty periods?

Hello. I am new Here. I have been doing some research about HM rating, as X-ray Tech. I have an important question. Is it rating and other HM relating ratings similar to other Navy jobs that has shore and sea duty periods?. For example: 4 sea duty and 3 shore duties, and so forth. I want to know the chances to be X-ray Tech and do those shore duties of this rating. Thank you for your answers and help!

walla125 01-31-2017 08:32 AM

Yes HM's also have a sea/ shore rotation and it is dependent upon NEC (Navy Enlisted Classification code). for advanced X-ray technician the code is HM-8452 ( there is no longer a basic X-ray technician), If I remember correctly the school is about a year long. Now back to the sea/shore rotation. It is 3 years at sea and 4 years on shore or 36 and 48 months respectively. the term "sea duty" does not necessarily mean you would be on one of those big gray things, the term should really be "operational duty" because this is GENERALLY the time you would deploy and or be away from your home port.

jbpr77 01-31-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walla125 (Post 59464)
Yes HM's also have a sea/ shore rotation and it is dependent upon NEC (Navy Enlisted Classification code). for advanced X-ray technician the code is HM-8452 ( there is no longer a basic X-ray technician), If I remember correctly the school is about a year long. Now back to the sea/shore rotation. It is 3 years at sea and 4 years on shore or 36 and 48 months respectively. the term "sea duty" does not necessarily mean you would be on one of those big gray things, the term should really be "operational duty" because this is GENERALLY the time you would deploy and or be away from your home port.

Thanks a lot for your reply and aclaration. My recruiter tell me about this rating that when I finish A school is when I will know wich rating I'll be, in this case X-ray Technichian if I decide do that. I would not choose this job, said recruiter, they choose to my any rating relating to HM, according to their needs. Is it really true?.

walla125 01-31-2017 03:06 PM

HM is the abbreviation for Hospital Corpsman and you will officially become one once you successfully complete Hospital Corpsman "A" School, which will occur after recruit training. Once your an official Corpsman you can subspecialize in any of the 31 sub-specialties (NEC's) the Corpsman rating offers like X-Ray technician

PropertyofBuMed 05-21-2017 12:22 AM

Operational duty hits the nail on the head... Our 'sea duty' 9/10 times means green side duty with the marines.

Youll rotate just like every other rate, possibly to a ship, but most likely to the field.