NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Things to know before bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7262)

kalenbobalen 08-03-2016 12:23 PM

Things to know before bootcamp

I've been getting little bits of advice from recent bootcamp grads on stuff to learn or brush up on before shipping out. I'd love to see if anyone has anything else to add!
  • Be able to pass the PRT
  • Ranks and ratings
  • 11 general orders
  • Sailor's creed
  • Chain of command
  • Military phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie...)
  • Recent US history (especially if, like me, your public school education kind of stopped at WWII)

I'd like to know some basic knots I can be working on, types of ships/aircraft I should definitely know, whatever can be learned now on the outside so I don't have to spend as much time on it at RTC.

Barbazu 08-06-2016 03:58 PM

Know how to properly address a petty officer. In boot camp this is ridiculously important, but outside of boot camp you'll be looked at like an idiot. It's always, "Yes (or no) petty officer." And know the difference between a Po and a chief. Calling a chief "petty officer" is a great way to get on the chief's bad side. Also... Learn to freaking march and do facing movements. We had a girl that couldn't do an about face until the last week of boot. And I counted how many time the person behind me in formation stepped on my heels while marching one day... 27 times... She could NOT march. Don't be that person.

DGladhill 08-06-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalenbobalen (Post 58614)
I've been getting little bits of advice from recent bootcamp grads on stuff to learn or brush up on before shipping out. I'd love to see if anyone has anything else to add!
  • Be able to pass the PRT
  • Ranks
  • 11 general orders
  • Sailor's creed
  • Chain of command

I'd like to know some basic knots I can be working on, types of ships/aircraft I should definitely know, whatever can be learned now on the outside so I don't have to spend as much time on it at RTC.

You don't need the phonetic alphabet or recent US history for bootcamp. The CoC is going to change when you get to RTC ( it will include from your RDCs up to the President ). Ratings are irrelevant in boot. You'll need to be familiar with all our current ship/boat types, aircraft and you'll only really learn two knots.

tl;dr - the stuff left in the quote is what will help you/you should know.

FlyNavy 08-07-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGladhill (Post 58627)
You don't need the phonetic alphabet or recent US history for bootcamp. The CoC is going to change when you get to RTC ( it will include from your RDCs up to the President ). Ratings are irrelevant in boot. You'll need to be familiar with all our current ship/boat types, aircraft and you'll only really learn two knots.

tl;dr - the stuff left in the quote is what will help you/you should know.

Call it a "boat type" again and I will throw things at you haha

:) ;)

/r
CTT1