NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ADVICE on when to go.. (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4833)

YNS_KP 12-05-2013 06:32 PM

ADVICE on when to go..

Hello all,

My original shipdate was 20140401. However, my recruiter just called me and told me that I could go next month if I wanted (however, he doesn't know the exact day until I saw a definite yes).

First of all, is it generally better to go to RTC in the dead of winter or the early spring?

Second, rushing up RTC by at least two months is kind of scary as I was mentally prepared to make a slower transition.

Logistically it would be a challenge to get ready to go by January but it makes more logical sense. Any advice is appreciated; I told him I would tell him tomorrow so speed is of the essence.

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle

BonzerAsp 12-05-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YNS_KP (Post 38683)
Hello all,

My original shipdate was 20140401. However, my recruiter just called me and told me that I could go next month if I wanted (however, he doesn't know the exact day until I saw a definite yes).

First of all, is it generally better to go to RTC in the dead of winter or the early spring?

Second, rushing up RTC by at least two months is kind of scary as I was mentally prepared to make a slower transition.

Logistically it would be a challenge to get ready to go by January but it makes more logical sense. Any advice is appreciated; I told him I would tell him tomorrow so speed is of the essence.

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle

From what I've been seeing on my weather app for Great Lakes, it's ridiculously cold there during the winter :P Especially if you're coming from a warmer climate.

If it was me though, I would wait. I would like the extra time to become more prepared. But that's me lol I always like being as prepared as I can

Haasino 12-05-2013 06:49 PM

Unless you're jumping up-and-down to go earlier, you might as well take the extra 2 months to lock in your Start Guide and run a mock PFA several times a week.

HMRivera 12-05-2013 06:59 PM

Yeah I agree with them. I'm leaving in a couple days and I'm not looking forward to the 20° weather. Trust me you're going to need the extra time to study and work out even though it will be annoying having to wait for the ship date. I think you should wait and make sure you're physically and mentally ready.

YNS_KP 12-05-2013 07:18 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am no stranger of cold weather though. I grew up in Minnesota (colder than Great Lakes) and currently live in NYC (which can also get pretty damn cold).

I have my sailor's creed and the first half of the general orders memorized. I am already going in as an E-3 from college credits so I am not trying to ace the PFA to get a promotion. I think I could get decently prepared in the next month.

I've read that the recruits shovel snow in the winter but as a trade off they don't do the confidence chamber; does anyone know if this is true?

I am definitely not itching to go early at all. But financially it is a tempting proposition. Hence my indecision haha.

BubbaGumps64 12-05-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YNS_KP (Post 38683)
Hello all,

Thank you, shipmates!
Kyle

It's really up to you. If you feel confident enough to leave in January then go for it. If not, then take advantage of the time until April and master everything that you need to study. Good luck in making the best decision for yourself.

Silipino 12-05-2013 07:48 PM

If you are confident in the knowledge you obtained from the start guide and your athletic ability, then I'd say go for it. I myself would wait cause I have the cold.

sweetmtn 12-06-2013 11:13 AM

Here is my adivse, and some info from my son that was there in the winter....if you feel ready then go now. As far as shoveling snow and not having to do the confidence chamber...LOL you will still have to do that! My son was there during a big snow storm..he got "snow watch" which I thought was really funny as even here at home he always HATED to shovel snow unless it was to clear his baseketball court, and yet still had to do it there! Yes he wrote home about having to shovel snow...all I could do was laugh!

YNS_KP 12-06-2013 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info! I was reading a thread on here awhile back and someone said they didn't do the confidence chamber and others weighed in and thought it was because it was winter. I guess that was not reliable :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmtn (Post 38717)
Here is my adivse, and some info from my son that was there in the winter....if you feel ready then go now. As far as shoveling snow and not having to do the confidence chamber...LOL you will still have to do that! My son was there during a big snow storm..he got "snow watch" which I thought was really funny as even here at home he always HATED to shovel snow unless it was to clear his baseketball court, and yet still had to do it there! Yes he wrote home about having to shovel snow...all I could do was laugh!

jzhaun 12-06-2013 07:21 PM

As someone who was there from Nov to March last year - go in the spring. The winter gear they make you wear is really annoying, you will probably be shoveling snow, and you will still do the confidence chamber.

FutureHM 12-06-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YNS_KP (Post 38688)
I've read that the recruits shovel snow in the winter but as a trade off they don't do the confidence chamber; does anyone know if this is true?

Only thing you get out of for shoveling snow is not getting yelled at by RDC's. I would take the offer though if you know you'll be ready by then.

fsmccree 12-10-2013 04:45 AM

I say go for it judging by the name we got the same rate