NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Constructionmen (Seabees) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Ask A Seabee (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6275)

FutureND 12-05-2014 01:20 AM

Ask A Seabee

With less than 10,000 in the entire Navy I know this is a small community, but anyone with questions ask away!

HM DEEZLE 12-05-2014 04:31 PM

Seabees are awesome. I originally wanted to be one.

Do corpsman attached to the Seabees have to go though the FMF training? Also my rating is HMDA, will I even get a chance at something like this seeing that I already have a C-school guaranteed in my contract?

FutureND 12-07-2014 01:40 AM

We go through combat training but it's not the same as FMF. I'd say we have 8-10 corpsman attached to U.S. ranging from HMC to HN. We have one who works with Dent so it's always a possibility.

Usnavy2013 12-07-2014 08:01 PM

i am joining the navy and hope to go in as a seabee. here is my email i have a lot to ask and would like to know all that i can. my email is sbhcollision@yahoo.com thanks!

Ramsay 12-07-2014 08:12 PM

Hi there, I am considering enlisting and joining the Seabees. I haven't talked to a recruiter yet and have done some of my own research. I've read that the military is really downsizing and making cuts, especially with the Seabees recently. Decommissioning of battalions, sailors being urged to cross rate, advancement in E4-E6 is a standstill, extremely overmanned etc. has this affected you at all? Will I have a difficult time picking up a Seabee rate? Thanks for your response.

FutureND 12-07-2014 10:54 PM

The military as a whole is downsizing, and the Seabee's have been hit pretty hard. There have been a few battalions decommissioned over the past few years and advancement has not been the best. Advancement over the past few cycles has picked up a bit, most Seabee rates are just below average for E4 and get worse the higher you go. It seems to vary which rate had the best chances cycle by cycle but all in all Seabee advancement is worse than in the fleet. A few years ago a few rates were locked at zero advancement but that has picked up since then. I do know of a few people who have cross-rated, and a couple of those were told that was their only way of staying active. I've been in for just under two years so it hasn't really affected me too bad, I picked up third easily and most people I was in A school with have picked up third also. The bright side is that if you are on your game and are a good Seabee then you will do well and go far, there will always be someone who advances, it's just up to you. I personally love what I do and where I am and wouldn't change it at all.

Feel free to ask anything else.

BloodyPheonix 09-12-2015 08:53 PM

Hey man I know it's been a bit since this thread was active but I just had a thought. Bees go through Expeditionary Combat Skills right?

FutureND 09-12-2015 11:45 PM

ECS, yes we do. It's a pretty fun month, lots of range time.

BloodyPheonix 09-13-2015 01:55 PM

Can you give a break down of what that was like?

FutureND 09-13-2015 04:31 PM

First week is CLS, combat life saver, training. You learn immediate battlefield actions for gu shots and/or explosions. Second week is m9 training, you spend the whole week at the range. Third week is at the range with the m4, and fourth week is at the range with m9 and m4. This is where you will get your rifle qual as well as a chance to better your pistol score.

BloodyPheonix 09-13-2015 09:17 PM

Thanks man you go through with any riverines?

FutureND 09-13-2015 09:48 PM

Not that I know of. Had some divers, eod, ma's, and Seabees.

Veazey76 02-20-2016 11:40 AM

I am DEPPED into the Navy right now as an EN. I just put in a DEP Action Request with my recruiter yesterday to change my rate from EN to any Seabee rating. My ship date is July 13th so I have alot of time on my hands for my rating to hopefully change so lets hope for the best! I've always wanted to be a Seabee! Also any other comments you guys have reply to me and let me know! Also wondering if all seabee ratings are over manned or if there are some that are undermanned!? Thanks everyone!

FlyNavy 02-20-2016 04:35 PM

It's been rough for Seabees lately manning wise. The last few years they've been pretty heavily over manned and I'm fairly certain a couple whole battalions closed up shop.

Nothing is impossible though. I'm sure SW2 will have more accurate gouge on the current overview though.

/r
CTT1

FutureND 02-20-2016 09:56 PM

Yes, the Seabees have been overmanned for quite a while now, but they are starting to love in the right direction as far as manning levels. As of now it looks like the best rates to try and get into would be Alfa types, CM and EO. This last cycle showed advancement opportunity was way better than usual as we were petty comparable to Navy wide averages. One thing to remember is that no matter how overmanned a rating is, they still bring in new people. There will always be a need for new recruits, though it is harder to get into with higher manning levels. The Seabee community is a great one, I wouldn't change what I do for anything. Good luck man and if you have anything else let me know.

Veazey76 02-20-2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureND (Post 57624)
Yes, the Seabees have been overmanned for quite a while now, but they are starting to love in the right direction as far as manning levels. As of now it looks like the best rates to try and get into would be Alfa types, CM and EO. This last cycle showed advancement opportunity was way better than usual as we were petty comparable to Navy wide averages. One thing to remember is that no matter how overmanned a rating is, they still bring in new people. There will always be a need for new recruits, though it is harder to get into with higher manning levels. The Seabee community is a great one, I wouldn't change what I do for anything. Good luck man and if you have anything else let me know.

Thank you man so much! It would be so unreal and honorable to become a Seabee! Hopefully a seabee rate opens up for my DEP Action Request. One of our recruiters in the office is a Seabee and he is going to be retiring at the end of the year. He told me stuff about Seabees including stories and stuff because he knew I wanted to be a Seabee since the first day I came in. He got assigned to South Africa for a tour and also was sent to Afghanistan and was assigned to a SEAL Team as he told me. Not sure how true that is but I believe and even if its not true I still wanna be a Seabee. Most badass rate in the Navy besides SEALS.

robynabs 07-04-2016 03:08 PM

Length of A School for EO

I go to boot camp 20160803 so I should graduate around 20160930, meaning I should begin A school the beginning of October. With the holidays, how long exactly is A school? I know things get held up or delayed but the sheet says 10 weeks. Is that relatively accurate? If so, I am estimating I should be home before Christmas but if not, I won't be home until after the beginning of the year. Does any one have an insight? Also, what is A School like for an EO? I am a reservist so will I do my A School and then go home to my unit? Thanks for the info.

Robyn

calpals 09-12-2016 02:56 PM

CM

I'm shipping in July 2017 as a CM. What is the combat training like? Also, how often and where would I get deployed to? I hope I see some action. :-)

Avionicsguy 01-09-2018 11:13 AM

if i wanna spend time with my family is this the rate for me? or no?

i understand they deploy but how is the shore duty?