NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Back From Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246)
-   -   Just graduated (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5586)

BubbaGumps64 05-16-2014 02:44 PM

Just graduated

Hey everyone I'm back and I just graduated bootcamp a few hours ago. I am open to answering all questions about boot camp!

13Point1Heiress 05-16-2014 04:39 PM

Congrats!! How was your overall experience?

sailaway2011 05-16-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 (Post 44466)
Hey everyone I'm back and I just graduated bootcamp a few hours ago. I am open to answering all questions about boot camp!

A friend of mine, who graduated in February said that NRC was thinking about letting the recruits not ship their phone home, but instead collecting everyone's phone until the end of Graduation. Did this happen to you?

BubbaGumps64 05-16-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress (Post 44467)

Overall boot camp was a great experience. It had it's good and it's bad parts.

BubbaGumps64 05-16-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailaway2011 (Post 44469)
A friend of mine, who graduated in February said that NRC was thinking about letting the recruits not ship their phone home, but instead collecting everyone's phone until the end of Graduation. Did this happen to you?

I don't recall hearing anything about this. I had to send my phone home the night that I arrived to RTC. But who knows maybe this will happen.

Haasino 05-16-2014 06:44 PM

Welcome back and congrats! Keep your priorities on training during A School and don't be the guy who f**ks away their Navy career doing something stupid before they even get to the fleet.

As far as phones, there are no plans to change the policies at RTC regarding cell phones, female haircuts, or duration of training... anything you hear to the contrary is rumor.

Atom_breaker 05-16-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 44475)

As far as phones, there are no plans to change the policies at RTC regarding cell phones, female haircuts, or duration of training... anything you hear to the contrary is rumor.

It seems these always appear. Checking forums many years old and that "new rules" rumor shows up. Even my district recruiter was telling females the other day that they are testing new haircut standards and I was like yea right show us the writing. Of corse I didn't say that out loud...:rofl: I just thought it to myself. :whisper: and secretly rolled my eyes. :eyes:

AramilX 05-17-2014 09:01 AM

How much sleep did you get around Battle Stations? I hear it's a long few days.

BubbaGumps64 05-17-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AramilX (Post 44488)
How much sleep did you get around Battle Stations? I hear it's a long few days.

So my division did Battle Stations on a Thursday/Friday. We woke up at 0500 Thursday morning and did Battle Stations that night. On Friday morning we completed it at around 0700 Friday morning. And taps wasn't early Friday night so it was at 2200 also.

We were told that we would have time to take a nap but that didn't happen. So it will be a long 2 days.

Auridan 05-17-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 (Post 44504)
So my division did Battle Stations on a Thursday/Friday. We woke up at 0500 Thursday morning and did Battle Stations that night. On Friday morning we completed it at around 0700 Friday morning. And taps wasn't early Friday night so it was at 2200 also.

We were told that we would have time to take a nap but that didn't happen. So it will be a long 2 days.

The promise of a nap kept us going as well, and we likewise never got it. Not officially, at least. Practically everyone fell asleep marching the next day, including one person who zoned out during a column right and kept on moving forward for several paces.

Corpsman Hopkin 05-18-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailaway2011 (Post 44469)

I don't know if there's a difference, but my friend completed RTC for the Air Force in November and his phone wasn't sent home.

Snowman 05-18-2014 12:21 PM

Congrats Bubbagump!

Haasino 05-18-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corpsman Hopkin (Post 44510)
I don't know if there's a difference, but my friend completed RTC for the Air Force in November and his phone wasn't sent home.

There's a big difference... Navy is the only branch to ship all civilian items home, as well as the only branch to cut females' hair. When my buddy went through Army BCT at Fort Sill, he was able to use his phone on Sundays for limited amounts of time... it's not like that at RTC.

BubbaGumps64 05-18-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corpsman Hopkin (Post 44510)

The Air Force is different. You don't have a lot of personal storage space in bootcamp. The A/B drawers are pretty small and you have to keep most of your stuff in there.

I had my parents bring my phone to gradution for me

BubbaGumps64 05-18-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 44511)
Congrats Bubbagump!

Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions about bootcamp.

Snowman 05-18-2014 07:44 PM

I will, it just seemed like a few weeks ago you were just here, and now you've graduated. I have friends that have gone through the Navy's Boot camp, and they always say that it is a life changing experience. Did it change you in any way? Do you miss anything about RTC or wish you could've done something differently? Was the swimming test easy? Those are the questions I have. It's good to hear from you again

NavyCalifornia 05-20-2014 10:07 AM

Congratulations! One question that I have is about civilian items at boot camp. I have heard from some people that you can bring the basics (shampoo, deodorant etc.) and that they only make you ship back stuff that's not on their "basic items" list, but other people have said that you have to ship literally everything back, even like the civilian clothes you were wearing. What happens to the backpack/bag you bring? Do you have to ship that back/donate it?

Thanks

LT Guppy 05-20-2014 10:58 AM

Yes. Everything will be sent home. You do not need to bring any personal hygiene items.

Exceptions - you can bring a bible, religious item, and small address book. You also need to bring the required paperwork (orders, birth certificate, social security card)

NavyCalifornia 05-20-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 44558)
Yes. Everything will be sent home. You do not need to bring any personal hygiene items.

Exceptions - you can bring a bible, religious item, and small address book. You also need to bring the required paperwork (orders, birth certificate, social security card)

Thank you!

BubbaGumps64 05-20-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 44517)
I will, it just seemed like a few weeks ago you were just here, and now you've graduated. I have friends that have gone through the Navy's Boot camp, and they always say that it is a life changing experience. Did it change you in any way? Do you miss anything about RTC or wish you could've done something differently? Was the swimming test easy? Those are the questions I have. It's good to hear from you again

I haven't noticed any changes in myself. But my parents tell me that I sound more mature and confident then I did before I left. As for doing anything different, I wouldn't change how I did anything. I mean, I really flew under the radar while I was there. But at the same time I feel that I learned a lot while I was there. I really don't miss anything about boot camp, hah.

The swim test was pretty easy. If you can back stroke, tread water, and prone float you will do just fine. If you try any of the other swim styles and cannot do it correctly you will be told to do the back stroke. Don't stress about it, just be confident in yourself. Also, be sure to pass the first time. If you don't you will have to go to swim classes twice a day, everyday until you can pass. And you don't want that to happen.

BubbaGumps64 05-20-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyCalifornia (Post 44556)
Congratulations! One question that I have is about civilian items at boot camp. I have heard from some people that you can bring the basics (shampoo, deodorant etc.) and that they only make you ship back stuff that's not on their "basic items" list, but other people have said that you have to ship literally everything back, even like the civilian clothes you were wearing. What happens to the backpack/bag you bring? Do you have to ship that back/donate it?

Thanks

Thank you! The only basic items that I was told I could keep were feminine hygiene products. Other than that you really do send everything home. All that I kept was my civilian glasses, wallet, and address book. You can either ship your things back home or donate it. It's really up to you. So don't bring a lot with you when you go.

BubbaGumps64 05-28-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress (Post 44467)

Though I must say that one of the less enjoyable parts of bootcamp for me was standing watch. I had no idea what that was until I got there and had to stand watch during P-Days.

coopdeville 05-28-2014 12:31 PM

What exactly do you while standing watch?

BubbaGumps64 05-28-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coopdeville (Post 44804)
What exactly do you while standing watch?

For compartment watch you will either be roving security watch or night security watch. Roving security will rove the compartment every half hour and check on things. Such as the head, racks, and laundry room being on spot, checking on the SIQ's, etc. Night watch will move from their post to cover the entrance to the compartment while the rover roves. When the rover isn't roving night security will stand in another spot.

When your standing by the entrance to the compartment you will have to greet all petty officers, chiefs, and officers that enter (be sure to sound off).They will most likely ask you questions such as general orders, chain of command, and rank and recognition. Be sure to get the answers right, or they will most likely embarrass you in front of everyone.

Watch will be stood 24 hours a day. There are only certain times when it is secured, which is during mandatory events.

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to clarify.