NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   CTM = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN MAINTENANCE (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Getting Assigned a Command (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5408)

ryry2595 03-28-2014 08:55 PM

Getting Assigned a Command

I have heard before graduating A school, one fills out a dream sheet in which he or she wishes to be assigned. Some rates choose by Coast or Overseas. Some choose specific locations. Would anyone know if CT's, specifically CTM's, choose fill out their sheet by specific location or coast/overseas? What is the likelihood of receiving your first choice?

Devin 03-30-2014 12:23 AM

I think you can also choose a Platform swell. Like for instance I don't care where i get stationed I am a Ship Nerd SO I am choosing by Ship type (Platform).

Choices:

1) Destroyer
2) Cruiser
3) LPD
4) Littoral Combat Ship
5) Carrier

etc....

I have heard mixed opinions on getting your choice of orders... My friend said her class mostly got what they wanted. Others say they didn't really look at the Dream Sheets.. But I have heard more often that the "A" School will try to get you the Command you choose as a preference.

Craig 03-30-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryry2595 (Post 43116)
I have heard before graduating A school, one fills out a dream sheet in which he or she wishes to be assigned. Some rates choose by Coast or Overseas. Some choose specific locations. Would anyone know if CT's, specifically CTM's, choose fill out their sheet by specific location or coast/overseas? What is the likelihood of receiving your first choice?

A "Dream Sheet" is just that, it's a dream if you ever got what you want.

Depending if you're married or not will depend on where you go. If you are single, you really need to request "Direct Support" (DIRSUP). It's awesome duty because you go out on a variety of ships.

CTM's have some really cool places to go. Some suck. Sadly, we lost CTM3 Mathew O'Bryant.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/va...bryant/3741174

Devin 03-30-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 43169)
CTM's have some really cool places to go. Some suck. Sadly, we lost CTM3 Mathew O'Bryant.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/va...bryant/3741174

I remember that, It was depicted in the movie Zero Dark Thirty.

Auridan 03-30-2014 06:46 PM

A handful of my OS class got something they wanted off the sheet. I, on the other hand, got a carrier in Washington when I asked for a small boy overseas. So it's really a total crapshoot.

Mrs_Breen 03-30-2014 06:49 PM

If you are married what are possible overseas billets? I have heard you usually have to be at least E-4 in order to be considered.

LT Guppy 03-30-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_Breen (Post 43181)
If you are married what are possible overseas billets? I have heard you usually have to be at least E-4 in order to be considered.

If you married, overseas is highly unlikely for your first command.

Mrs_Breen 03-30-2014 07:07 PM

:jawdrop:
That stinks. But when they do become available, is it pretty open for all the navy bases or only certain ones for accompanied orders? Are there a lot of sailors stationed on other branches bases? Hubby is is CTT, so are there any NIOC locales overseas?

LT Guppy 03-30-2014 07:17 PM

It depends. Some places (like Bahrain) have shorter term unaccompanied orders or longer accompanied orders.

Mrs_Breen 03-30-2014 07:19 PM

Seems like that happens a lot: "it depends." Ha. Gotta love it. Thanks though!

ryry2595 04-04-2014 11:17 AM

Direct support? What do they get to do? I heard top of your class in A school usually gets their pick in what they want. Also, does rank play a key factor? Ill be a seaman in A school. I have advanced promotion.

jzhaun 04-04-2014 12:55 PM

From what I've been told (although I haven't actually got there yet), direct support means you're on call to go on ships but you're not necessarily attached to a certain one. You might be put in a certain region and be on call for the ships in that area or be on board and move from ship to ship as they move in and out of your region.

Rank won't make a difference.

bronxCTM 04-04-2014 04:41 PM

You'll be amazed at where CTMs can go...direct support sounds awesome from what I've been hearing in person. CTMs can go just about anywhere (sub, surface, squadron, shore, overseas)...and it is a sea-intensive rating at this point but there are some "A" School class orders that have like 50%/50% shore/sea duty orders but it can change.

Arvy 04-05-2014 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_Breen (Post 43186)
Seems like that happens a lot: "it depends." Ha. Gotta love it. Thanks though!

:rofl: Haha yep. When I try to explain things to my loved ones about what my future might look like, I just use a lot of "it depends" or "It's hard to tell". My mom has just given up and flat out said "I guess we'll know when you're done with A-school where you're gonna end up". Welcome to the Navy family!

Mrs_Breen 04-05-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arvy (Post 43336)
:rofl: Haha yep. When I try to explain things to my loved ones about what my future might look like, I just use a lot of "it depends" or "It's hard to tell". My mom has just given up and flat out said "I guess we'll know when you're done with A-school where you're gonna end up". Welcome to the Navy family!

Same here we are learning!

navylife2014 04-06-2014 08:34 PM

Hey im a hm Corpsman dental ass. Where is the most likely place my wife and I will be stationed after a school

LT Guppy 04-07-2014 03:37 AM

Any of the CONUS bases. You most likely won't go overseas for your first assignment since you are married.
You should be stationed at a shore medical facility, on an amphib, or on a carrier.

Angst 04-11-2014 06:56 PM

Including right back to boot camp.

dreboy32 12-28-2014 11:43 AM

Where would Yeoman's most likely be stationed at? Do you know if we get the choice to pick a specific base?

LT Guppy 12-28-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreboy32 (Post 50948)
Where would Yeoman's most likely be stationed at? Do you know if we get the choice to pick a specific base?

Yeomen are at every Navy base.
You'll get to put in a dream sheet of where you want to go, but that may or may not influence your orders.