NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunner's Mate B320 (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Past drug usage -- Gunners Mate (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6426)

Mavyboy 01-22-2015 04:38 PM

Past drug usage -- Gunners Mate

Hello again all! I have another similar question to all of the other threads I posted..

Okay so I can't enlist as a GM because I had a possession of drug paraphernalia ticket wavered, and I admitted to using spice on one occasion. My recruiter was looking up what jobs I qualify for to show me what else I could have besides PACT SN, I told him the only rate I would sign for other then PACT was GM and he proceeded to show me the list of all the jobs within the navy and he showed me GM, and in a small box next to the requirements it stated "no history of drug abuse"

Now once I am in the navy and do my time as a PACT SN will I be able to cross rate into GM? Given that I have a ticket (waived) for possession of paraphernalia and I admitted to using it once?
Unfortunately I had originally thought that yeah you can, which is why I didn't ask my recruiter.

Sorry for beating this horse so much I just want to know what I'm getting myself into haha! Thank you everybody

FlyNavy 01-23-2015 12:25 PM

Do you want to work with guns or do you want to be a Sailor?

From what I gather, you're more interested in doing GM work really, which you can do in any branch. When you're going from PACT to GM, they're still going to look at your criminal history since they have to for everyone going into that rate. So the possibility is legitimate that it could be a speed bump down the road.

/r
CTT1

Mavyboy 01-23-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 51523)
Do you want to work with guns or do you want to be a Sailor?

From what I gather, you're more interested in doing GM work really, which you can do in any branch. When you're going from PACT to GM, they're still going to look at your criminal history since they have to for everyone going into that rate. So the possibility is legitimate that it could be a speed bump down the road.

/r
CTT1

In all honesty CTT1, I do want to work with guns, small arms in particular. Above all else I do wish to serve, I wouldn't back out at any point if I was told that I couldn't be a GM. Due to the ticket I was turned away from every branch including the Navy at one point, but I found a recruiter willing to push me in finally. To put it simply GM is my dream job, and if that is what it will always be (a dream), so be it.

I owe you a pizza and a beer CTT1, as much as you reply to me on here. Hah!

LT Guppy 01-24-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavyboy (Post 51543)
In all honesty CTT1, I do want to work with guns, small arms in particular. Above all else I do wish to serve, I wouldn't back out at any point if I was told that I couldn't be a GM. Due to the ticket I was turned away from every branch including the Navy at one point, but I found a recruiter willing to push me in finally. To put it simply GM is my dream job, and if that is what it will always be (a dream), so be it.

GM may be a dream. But there is also the possibility you could volunteer for the SRF-A or VBSS teams on your ship.

Mavyboy 01-24-2015 09:54 AM

Thank you, Guppy. I had never heard of either of those, and they seem like something I might be interested in!
I will start to look into them more in depth.

FlyNavy 01-25-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavyboy (Post 51543)

Pay me back by being a Sailor I'd like to serve with ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 51544)
GM may be a dream. But there is also the possibility you could volunteer for the SRF-A or VBSS teams on your ship.

I was VBSS and can tell you its fcking awesome. Also SRF-A is just a school, not an actual position onboard. Each Duty Section will have a security team and to be a prominent part of that, you'll need to have gone through SRF-A. The schools is fun as hell and your FPO (Force Protection Officer) or TRAINO (Training Officer) should be able to get you a seat for the school once you're settled in.

/r
CTT1