NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   "A" School start dates (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6801)

doodelookout 07-13-2015 02:19 PM

"A" School start dates

Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has information on when the various language schools start.

Specifically, when does the Chinese language school start? Arabic?

FlyNavy 07-13-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodelookout (Post 54900)
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anybody has information on when the various language schools start.

Specifically, when does the Chinese language school start? Arabic?

They go year round. Once you get to DLI you'll wait for a spot in a class and you'll start whenever they get you a spot.

It's not like college where they have specific start dates or semesters or something. Dates can change all the time.
Even if you did know the dates, you wouldn't know which class you would be going into anyway.

/r
CTT1

jzhaun 07-13-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 54905)
They go year round. Once you get to DLI you'll wait for a spot in a class and you'll start whenever they get you a spot.

It's not like college where they have specific start dates or semesters or something. Dates can change all the time.
Even if you did know the dates, you wouldn't know which class you would be going into anyway.

/r
CTT1

CTT1, I know every other A school in the navy works like this, but this is actually not exactly how DLI works.

It is a rotating system where new classes start every couple weeks, but I branchers are assigned to a specific class beginning on a specific date while still in bootcamp, so we know exactly when we will class up as soon as we get orders. Occasionally things will change while students are in hold if a class is over or under booked, but that isn't super common.

The dates are determined by availability of rooms/teaching teams - when the most senior Chinese class graduates, the next class will start. Knowing the date doesn't necessarily help though, because the students assigned to this class will cover a range of bootcamp divisions. It doesn't matter if the class doesn't start for another month if the division before you claimed the last seat.

P.S. Hi, I'm the resident CTI2. And yes, I'm a Chiling.

classified9 07-13-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 54912)
CTT1, I know every other A school in the navy works like this, but this is actually not exactly how DLI works.

It is a rotating system where new classes start every couple weeks, but I branchers are assigned to a specific class beginning on a specific date while still in bootcamp, so we know exactly when we will class up as soon as we get orders. Occasionally things will change while students are in hold if a class is over or under booked, but that isn't super common.

The dates are determined by availability of rooms/teaching teams - when the most senior Chinese class graduates, the next class will start. Knowing the date doesn't necessarily help though, because the students assigned to this class will cover a range of bootcamp divisions. It doesn't matter if the class doesn't start for another month if the division before you claimed the last seat.

P.S. Hi, I'm the resident CTI2. And yes, I'm a Chiling.

CTI2!? The last time we talked I think you were still at DLI, has it been that long already!?!?!?!?!

BTW I'm about to finish up out here :D

jzhaun 07-13-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classified9 (Post 54919)
CTI2!? The last time we talked I think you were still at DLI, has it been that long already!?!?!?!?!

BTW I'm about to finish up out here :D

Well, I graduated in September, picked up 2nd off the March exam. Most of us had Ps, so it came down to test scores and whether or not your degree was on record.

You might have a slightly harder time of it as a Spanling, since your quotas are lower, but picking up off the first test is definitely possible.

Good luck on your DLPT!

FlyNavy 07-14-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 54912)

Leave it to you guys to rock the boat... Damn CTI's haha

Thanks for the updated information!!

/r
CTT1

ejrwelch 07-14-2015 07:43 AM

So what I am getting from this thread is that as soon as classified graduates we will have almost all the NIOCs covered on this forum CTI wise! Woohoo!

classified9 07-14-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejrwelch (Post 54936)
So what I am getting from this thread is that as soon as classified graduates we will have almost all the NIOCs covered on this forum CTI wise! Woohoo!

HOOYAH you all have any good DLPT strategies? Just murdered opi yesterday.

ejrwelch 07-14-2015 12:33 PM

if you feel like you did so bad that you just want to cry and eat all the (insert favorite food ) in the world... you probably did decently! and sleep before the test... common sense I know... and I hate to be the person to say this but it worked for me and my people lol but just relax.... dont cram... watch some movies in the lounge... and pray the systems crash like the do at a good point so you'll get a feel for the test before you have to take it again the next day lol

jzhaun 07-14-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classified9 (Post 54939)
HOOYAH you all have any good DLPT strategies? Just murdered opi yesterday.

Don't do any language (or as little as possible) right before the test. You want to let everything you've learned settle in your brain a little, so you're not psyching yourself out going "I just looked at this, why can't I remember what it means???". Our Chief gave us that one, and it worked pretty well for me. We had a 4 day leading up to the exam and I studied no Chinese over that period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejrwelch (Post 54941)
if you feel like you did so bad that you just want to cry and eat all the (insert favorite food ) in the world... you probably did decently! and sleep before the test... common sense I know... and I hate to be the person to say this but it worked for me and my people lol but just relax.... dont cram... watch some movies in the lounge... and pray the systems crash like the do at a good point so you'll get a feel for the test before you have to take it again the next day lol

The systems are crashing a lot right now. I've been seeing updates from the younger classes in my division on facebook. It happened at this time of year last year too . . .

classified9 07-14-2015 11:41 PM

Solid advice. I've been doing audios and just watching my target language shows on netflix. I'm more than confident i'll do great, but fear of complacency drives me harder than anything on this planet. I could dig through some threads here and find a long epic of how long it took me to get in the navy and i'm finally here. Gonna make you guys proud, gonna be our Texas lliason for this site hahaha.