NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Ask a Naval Aircrewman (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4163)

squid.life 11-18-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 56558)
Nice, man... congrats! Eller was in my current squadron before taking A School orders; he taught me some great stuff as an upgrader. Any word on when they're sending you to VP-30 or SERE?

Glad that you know him and that he did good things for you. We were his first real class i guess. And he nailed it. No drops and we took on two rolls.

not sure when they are goiing to send me.I have to get gained by the NOSC first then on my first drill weekend start putting in for AWO billets. THEN, whoever picks me up has to fund my going back to Jax. Fun stuff huh? I miss my flight suit.....

Haasino 11-19-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Morales (Post 56727)
Hey guys, hoping an aircrooman can help. I just got Selected for some AWO2 orders. No clue as to what they do. Here's what I found on Google:

COMSUBLANT's job as Commander Task Force 84 is to effectively employ and improve the combat capability of Atlantic Fleet submarines and ASW forces afloat while simultaneously increasing the efficiency of operations ashore. T-AGOS ships are operated by the Military Sealift Command and are under the administrative command of Commander, Undersea Surveillance. They are deployed under the Operational Control (OPCON) of the Theater ASW Commanders, CTF 84 and CTF 12. Civilian technicians who operate and maintain the mission equipment man the SURTASS Operations Center (SOC), the nerve center of the ship. When operating with tactical forces, military detachments are embarked for onboard analysis and direct reporting to fleet units.

So yeah, what am I gonna be doing there? (Attached is the screenshot of the email I received from CMSID)

Do you know where you're going? If it's in Virginia, then I might know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid.life (Post 56737)
Glad that you know him and that he did good things for you. We were his first real class i guess. And he nailed it. No drops and we took on two rolls.

not sure when they are goiing to send me.I have to get gained by the NOSC first then on my first drill weekend start putting in for AWO billets. THEN, whoever picks me up has to fund my going back to Jax. Fun stuff huh? I miss my flight suit.....

Nice, man... keep us posted!

Diverdee90 11-20-2015 12:27 PM

PT hold

Ok Haasino quick question, is there a limit to how long they are on hold for PT? Or how many chances they get? My son has passed everything except the stinking push-ups needs to start Candidate school... Any tips for passing them? This momma is feeling sad, he is working his butt off and wants this so bad, would hate to see him have to rerate

Haasino 11-20-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 56756)
Ok Haasino quick question, is there a limit to how long they are on hold for PT? Or how many chances they get? My son has passed everything except the stinking push-ups needs to start Candidate school... Any tips for passing them? This momma is feeling sad, he is working his butt off and wants this so bad, would hate to see him have to rerate

It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

BloodyPheonix 11-22-2015 08:35 AM

Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?

J.Morales 11-22-2015 04:40 PM

CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach

Haasino 11-23-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix (Post 56781)
Hey Hass, this might be outside your area of expertise but I figured I'd try since you said you have a few friends that do the mine hunting thing (AWR?).

I was talking to a mineman a few weeks ago and I asked him where females typically get sent because they aren't allowed on Mine Countermeasure ships. He said that it's pretty common for them to end up with squadrons working with the mine hunting helos. I was wondering if you knew what that duty would entail? If it was riding along on the helo during flight or simply helping disarm/destroy the mines that were picked up when they landed?

I'm not sure exactly what their duties would be, but the only ones flying in HM squadrons will be the pilots and AWS'... she'll most likely be servicing the mine countermeasure equipment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Morales (Post 56786)
CTF-84 @ Virginia Beach

Hmm... I've got a few guesses, but nothing I want to discuss on open forum. Most likely your role is going to be "analyst"...

NavyGirl2015 11-23-2015 10:21 AM

Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.

Haasino 11-23-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 (Post 56800)
Just got my orders for my FRS! I got p-3s so I'm going to Jacksonville.

Right on! We'll probably cross paths at some point in Whidbey.

BloodyPheonix 11-24-2015 02:25 PM

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks.

Diverdee90 12-14-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 56762)
It kind of varies based on how many candidates are there and how badly they need people... generally it's a week or two, and then you'd have a Progress Review Board where they decide whether to give you another week, or drop you. Factors like motivation and progress (Like if he can do ten more now than he could a week ago) play a big part in their decision.

Forgot to update you, my son passed the push ups the week after Thanksgiving so now waiting for Holiday shut down then should start Candidate school.... Yay cant wait :)

Diverdee90 01-26-2016 07:09 PM

AWV

So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks

FlyNavy 01-26-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 57363)
So my son graduated from Candidate school last week and he thinks he is getting AWV, can you explain a little more of this rate to me. He was hoping for AWS I think. AWV was his second choice. Thanks

Per Naval Personnel Command:

Aircrewman Avionics (AWV): In-Flight technician/trouble shooter on board P-3C, EP-3 and E-6B aircraft. Maintains and trouble shoots all avionics equipment while in flight. Operates communication systems and electronic warfare equipment onboard E-6B and EP-3 aircraft. Operates UAS and UAS payloads. Operates and maintains tactical support center systems at shore installations and tactical mobile systems in expeditionary MTOC units.

That being said, it really comes down to where he ends up getting stationed. AWV's working on E-6B's, for example, will do a totally different job than the guys I fly with. But that little blurb covers the basics of what's possible for them and what platforms you're gonna find them on.

I'm sure AWO2 will also have some input.

/r
CTT1

Haasino 01-27-2016 07:38 AM

The NPC blurb CTT1 posted pretty much sums it up... though the UAS (drone) and TSC/MTOC part is incorrect; those are both AWO shore duty billets now. The E-6B is the only platform intended to be around past 2020, and there's currently a push to get AWF's and AWV's into the TACAMO squadrons out in Oklahoma, so his best chance it to get orders there. Otherwise, he might get orders to VQ-1 as an IFT or Electronic Warfare Operator... or he may be in one of the last classes of P-3 IFT to come out of Fleet Replacement training. Hopefully he doesn't get the latter, because that would mean he'll be lucky to make 2 years in his squadron before going back to learn a new job.

Diverdee90 02-23-2016 07:46 PM

Getting used to this Navy thing where things are always changing... My son did not get AWV he is AWF, started INDOC yesterday and then just waiting to class up... I'm assuming from Hassino's reply he will probably end up in Oklahoma? Just curious.... He is excited for AWF, it was his first choice he said, sorry for my post before that he would be AWV....

Haasino 02-24-2016 06:46 AM

Most likely a TACAMO flight engineer in Oklahoma, or a Greyhound loadmaster out of Norfolk or San Diego... possibly a P-3/EP-3 flight engineer, but hopefully not as the sunset of the P-3 Orion is visible on the horizon at this point.

E_Storey 02-24-2016 03:55 PM

Do I have to qualify while I'm in the DEP program in order to go to AWRSS?

FlyNavy 02-24-2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_Storey (Post 57687)

Qualify medically you mean? Oooorrrrr?
(I'm also Aircrew, just as a CT)

/r
CTT1

FlyNavy 02-24-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_Storey (Post 57687)

If you're talking about getting an AIRR contract (Rescue Swimmer) then yes you should be required to past a PST (spec war PT test) before being awarded that contract.

AWR is considered part of the Spec War/Challenge programs. Talk with your recruiter about it and they can give you the in's and out's. Usually there is a Spec War motivator in your area that can help with the PT and administer the test.

/r
CTT1

Haasino 02-25-2016 12:46 AM

http://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg

austin_andres 03-12-2016 02:37 PM

Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.

Haasino 03-13-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 57850)
Hello, I'm currently in the process of joining the navy and I would like to be an AWO Aircrewman. Due to some circumstances I would have a choice of shipping soon and going in as FTS or waiting a long time and going AD. Would i be able to go FTS AWO? Which is a better lifestyle, AD or FTS? I go to meps on Monday so any additional information would be much appreciated.

The only FTS Aircrew orders are AWF Loadmasters and Flight Attendants on C-130's, C-40's, and C-12's... AWO is only initially available for AD, however you can transition to SelRes after your first enlistment if there's available orders in either of the two reserve maritime patrol squadrons.

My advice if you want AWO is to stick it out for the AD slot and use the time to physically prepare yourself for Aircrew Candidate School.

FlyNavy 03-13-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 57857)
The only FTS Aircrew orders are AWF Loadmasters and Flight Attendants on C-130's, C-40's, and C-12's... AWO is only initially available for AD, however you can transition to SelRes after your first enlistment if there's available orders in either of the two reserve maritime patrol squadrons.

My advice if you want AWO is to stick it out for the AD slot and use the time to physically prepare yourself for Aircrew Candidate School.

https://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg

austin_andres 04-05-2016 08:43 AM

Hello. Update: I swore into the navy yesterday with an Aircrew contract, I leave May 18th. Any tips for me to prepare aswell as tips once i get in? I have been training for this job in the physical aspect. I've been swimming 5 miles a week for quite some time. Along with running 30-40 miles a week. Also lifting weights and doing as many bodyweight exercises i could think of. Any tips would be much appreciated.

FlyNavy 04-05-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 58036)
Hello. Update: I swore into the navy yesterday with an Aircrew contract, I leave May 18th. Any tips for me to prepare aswell as tips once i get in? I have been training for this job in the physical aspect. I've been swimming 5 miles a week for quite some time. Along with running 30-40 miles a week. Also lifting weights and doing as many bodyweight exercises i could think of. Any tips would be much appreciated.

If you're doing all that then you should be fine. Body weight exercises are the way to go! Being able to bench a lot is great if you're in a weight lifting competition, but at NACCS it's about how long you can do it for and how many reps you can do.

For the running, I would say you don't need to do that much distance. The longest run we did was around 5 miles (grad runs). So instead of just pure distance, switch up days between distance and then sprint intervals. The sprint intervals will help with your run times while the distance keeps your cardio up. The biggest thing a lot of people failed on was that last PST test. Having a crappy run time is what sank the vast majority of the guys who failed.

As far as swimming goes, just make sure you're comfortable in the water. You'll be doing plenty of endurance swims and each day you'll be doing treads with more and more gear on (ie flight suit, boots, vest, helmet, etc).

/r
CTT1

austin_andres 04-05-2016 07:42 PM

Thank you! For my rating inside of Aircrew, I would like to be a AWO or AWF (flight engineer side). So my other question would be what would I have to do to accomplish this and when does this selection take place?

FlyNavy 04-05-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 58051)
Thank you! For my rating inside of Aircrew, I would like to be a AWO or AWF (flight engineer side). So my other question would be what would I have to do to accomplish this and when does this selection take place?

Selection happens as you're about to graduate.

Nothing you do really will have much impact, as the LPO of the school is just given a number quota for each job to fill and 9 times out of 10 he just fills it up and lets you know where he put you.

Occasionally he'll let the top few people in the class get a pick, but I've personally seen it go both ways. So don't let people tell you that you're 100% going to get a pick because there is a very legitimate chance they just hand you a rate as well. (again, seen both happen while I was there)

AWF's on the FE side of the house are also losing a lot of positions as the Navy decommissions the P-3 and moves to the P-8. They're moving those guys into C-2 or E-6 platforms, but the opportunity is going to be a lot less than it used to be seeing as they have to do something with all the guys they already have now.

AWO is pretty common though (90% of my class ended up there) and they will still be in use with the new P-8 platform.

/r
CTT1

austin_andres 04-18-2016 02:20 PM

For the rate of AWO, how difficult is the A-School? Like do you study things like math or is it more about your aircraft and how it operates? Also how long is the typical pipeline, taking into affect being on holds?

BonzerAsp 04-18-2016 08:02 PM

We're being flooded with AWFs now. We need more AWF2's and higher though. As an AWF FE on the E-6b platform, you're technically an FE trainee until you make E-5. Prepare to do lots of FE bitch work until you make it there :rofl: AWF1 and higher is where it's at

Diverdee90 04-19-2016 04:28 PM

My son is graduating this week - he is an AWF and headed to Oklahoma next week... Excited for his next step in this crazy journey

BonzerAsp 04-19-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 58120)
My son is graduating this week - he is an AWF and headed to Oklahoma next week... Excited for his next step in this crazy journey

Congrats to him! Oklahoma isn't that bad honestly. I've been stationed here for over a year now and I'm enjoying it so far.

ByrgeB 04-21-2016 01:11 PM

Whoa whoa, I went to meps the 8th of march, swore in the 9th, got accepted into the Aircrewman program and was offered FTS (They informed it was one of the best programs too get into..fts that is...stupid fast advancement/etc)

I dont ship till sept 28th, howd u get in after me and get shipped out in may @Austin_andres

and one more question, Haasino, what do you mean FTS doesnt get too pick AWO.. I was informed ill get too choose from AWO. AWF. AWV even while FTS...

Is this not true? Theyve lied too me multiple times, saying family will go to move with me too schooling in pensacola ( im 26, married, and 2 kids) come too find out they wont.. and multuple more reasons.

HELP.

Haasino 04-21-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 58114)
For the rate of AWO, how difficult is the A-School? Like do you study things like math or is it more about your aircraft and how it operates? Also how long is the typical pipeline, taking into affect being on holds?

AW(A1) "A" School covers Advances sound transmission theories, tactical oceanography, basic diesel and nuclear submarine mechanical characteristics, and basic radar theory... the hard part is memorization of Secret level information which can't be studied outside of class hours. To graduate, we had to memorize about 12 diesel/nuclear submarine parameters, which consisted of about an entire whiteboard worth of components and frequencies... and about 50 types of radars, including basic parameters, ships/subs/aircraft/vehicles associated with them, and weapons and applicable ranges if any.

You don't learn anything about your aircraft until you get your follow-on orders and go to the applicable Fleet Replacement Squadron for ~1 year.

Total training pipeline from RTC to operational squadron is about 2 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 58120)

Awesome, congrats to him!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByrgeB (Post 58140)
Whoa whoa, I went to meps the 8th of march, swore in the 9th, got accepted into the Aircrewman program and was offered FTS (They informed it was one of the best programs too get into..ftw that is...stupid fast advancement/etc)

I dont ship till sept 28th, howd u get in after me and get shipped out in may @Austin_andres

and one more question, Haasino, what do you mean FTS doesnt get too pick AWO.. I was informed ill get too choose from AWO. AWF. AWV even while FTS...

Is this not true? Theyve lied too me multiple times, saying family will go to move with me too schooling in pensacola ( im 26, married, and 2 kids) come too find out they wont.. and multuple more reasons.

HELP.

Nothing is impossible... but, like a US ground-invasion of Canada, just highly unlikely. Currently, FTS Aircrew is only AWF's acting as flight attendants and loadmasters on C-40 and C-130 aircraft.

You'll most likely be assigned AWF out of NACCS and attend AWF "A" School across the base in Pensacola... since NACCS is "officially" a 3 week school, and "A" School is about a month or so, you are correct that the Navy will not pay to relocate your family because they don't factor in the hold times waiting to class-up... so you may be in Pensacola for over 6 months... but the Navy still considers it TAD follow-on orders from RTC.

After "A" School, you'll get assignment to a VR squadron flying the C-40 or C-130, and from there they'll determine whether you'll go to the squadron or do more follow-on training. FTS AWF doesn't go through SERE, but they do go through C-40 Transportation Safety Specialist training with either Delta or American Airlines (Whichever has a flight attendant class open first), or loadmaster training for C-130s.

ByrgeB 04-21-2016 02:40 PM

1 and 1/2 year of AirC School and Training too become a AWF a be a flight attendant. How awesome..

Just crazy that my recruiter has informed me totally wrong this whole time. Everytime I ask a question, he just informs me he doesnt know much about AIRC programs.

Just contacted a large recruiting office in Tennessee that is good in the AIRC program, They pulled quotas up and informed me the last 296 people that tried for AWO, 0% was filled. Everyone currently coming out of Schooling is placed into AWF. while 9% is getting AWV.

Sad..

austin_andres 04-21-2016 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByrgeB (Post 58140)
Whoa whoa, I went to meps the 8th of march, swore in the 9th, got accepted into the Aircrewman program and was offered FTS (They informed it was one of the best programs too get into..fts that is...stupid fast advancement/etc)

HELP.

I am currently 18, and when I went to MEPS (April 3rd, in buffalo) I qualified for almost everything, when I went to select my job the guy there threw down a rating for something in intel, I agreed that it sounded like an awesome job but I asked him if AIRC was open and he looked it up. He said there were two job slots open (May 6th May 18th) I am currently in college and my last final is on May 6th, so he gave me May 18th. I don't know much about the proccess, my recruiter had told me previously that i would be luckly to ship by october so i was surprised when he informed me I ship in May! This is complete speculation, but I was informed by my uncle (retired colonel in the Air Force) that because my asvab was high, I was a "CAT 1" recruit, meaning that they would ship me faster. Like i said, speculation. I'm sorry that it worked out that you don't ship until september.. But good luck to you man! I was also looking at FTS, it is a good gig, from what i was told you get stationed somewhere and you don't leave except deployments, which would be awesome since you have a family. I just think that AWO looks super bad ass and exactly what I want, I also have a family member in that field and he loves it, so I wanted to have the oppurtunity to try to get AWO, but honestly man, from what I have read, and if we make passed all the tough schools, anything in AIRC seems awesome, I feel pretty lucky that I have a chance to join this community.

austin_andres 04-21-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 58141)
AW(A1) "A" School covers Advances sound transmission theories, tactical oceanography, basic diesel and nuclear submarine mechanical characteristics, and basic radar theory... the hard part is memorization of Secret level information which can't be studied outside of class hours. To graduate, we had to memorize about 12 diesel/nuclear submarine parameters, which consisted of about an entire whiteboard worth of components and frequencies... and about 50 types of radars, including basic parameters, ships/subs/aircraft/vehicles associated with them, and weapons and applicable ranges if any.

You don't learn anything about your aircraft until you get your follow-on orders and go to the applicable Fleet Replacement Squadron for ~1 year.

Total training pipeline from RTC to operational squadron is about 2 years.

Awesome, congrats to him!

Nothing is impossible... but, like a US ground-invasion of Canada, just highly unlikely. Currently, FTS Aircrew is only AWF's acting as flight attendants and loadmasters on C-40 and C-130 aircraft.

You'll most likely be assigned AWF out of NACCS and attend AWF "A" School across the base in Pensacola... since NACCS is "officially" a 3 week school, and "A" School is about a month or so, you are correct that the Navy will not pay to relocate your family because they don't factor in the hold times waiting to class-up... so you may be in Pensacola for over 6 months... but the Navy still considers it TAD follow-on orders from RTC.

After "A" School, you'll get assignment to a VR squadron flying the C-40 or C-130, and from there they'll determine whether you'll go to the squadron or do more follow-on training. FTS AWF doesn't go through SERE, but they do go through C-40 Transportation Safety Specialist training with either Delta or American Airlines (Whichever has a flight attendant class open first), or loadmaster training for C-130s.

Thank you Haasino! Its kinda difficult to find information about AIRC, and although I realize I can't plan and know everything, I just have to go through it, it is nice to have a general idea to plan ahead in life, so I appreciate the replies to my questions.

ByrgeB 04-21-2016 06:14 PM

What's a good break down of a normal day for a AWF.

austin_andres 04-21-2016 10:27 PM

What does the flight physical consist of? What are some reasons someone would be disqualified?

Haasino 04-23-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ByrgeB (Post 58146)
What's a good break down of a normal day for a AWF.

I can only comment on IBNFE Local 8251... aka, P-3 FE's. E-6, C-2, and VR AWF's are a completely different and foreign entity to me.

As a P-3 FE, you'll be assigned to work in one of the mech shops such as powerplants, airframes, maintenance control, etc. Your basic daily workload will be based on maintenance needs, or if you're on Duty FE, where you'll standby in case maintenance needs to spin up an engine for testing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 58147)
What does the flight physical consist of? What are some reasons someone would be disqualified?

It's basically just a hand-on physical with about 6 tubes of blood tested for anything and everything, an exam of your sinuses and chest cavity, and an EKG to make sure your heart is normal. The huge disqualifiers that are ulikely to be waived are sinus issues, heart issues, and color blindness.

FlyNavy 04-24-2016 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_andres (Post 58143)
This is complete speculation, but I was informed by my uncle (retired colonel in the Air Force) that because my asvab was high, I was a "CAT 1" recruit, meaning that they would ship me faster.

Just so you're on the right page, your ASVAB score has exactly zero things to do with when they'll ship you.

I can't speak for the Air Force, but in the Navy that has nothing to do with anything outside of what jobs you might qualify for.

/r
CTT1