NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Master-at-Arms B640 (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   PRP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6734)

futuresailor31 06-14-2015 08:41 AM

PRP

I've considered doing PRP and I'm hearing so many mixed things about it. Could someone who knows weigh the pros and cons for me? I want an outside opinion on the matter rather than the instructors talking it up so much!

BonzerAsp 06-14-2015 09:45 AM

What do you mean exactly? The only PRP I've seen here are all aircrew here (Because of our mission) and people we send over to a detachment site that houses the stuff.

What are you referring to exactly?

futuresailor31 06-14-2015 12:38 PM

You can sign up for PRP here at MA school. As soon as you're approved for PRP you can either be sent to Washington, Georgia and a few other places I can't exactly remember. All we've really been told is you're guarding the nuclear weapons but I've heard that PRP honestly sucks with hours and what the job entails. The instructors here talk it up to be super awesome but I've heard different from a few other people. So I'm just wanting an opinion from some other people on PRP so I can make an educated desicion for myself.

BonzerAsp 06-14-2015 03:23 PM

I imagine it could probably suck with hours and how strict it is. My squadron is involved in the nuclear shenanigans and I know our MAs HATE it. 14 watch shifts doing nothing. They're supposed to be 12 hours but they have to show up early to arm up and what not. They just check IDs and rove around. Mostly just IDs and sitting in a small truck

Squid350 06-19-2015 12:06 PM

Last I heard was that it's miserable work. Nature of the beast - we don't screw around with nukes.

Bright side is that you get great gear, great training, and it's a career enhancer. They've even got a shiny pin for you to work on as well.

BonzerAsp 06-19-2015 04:17 PM

Go PRP and join me in Oklahoma :rofl:

futuresailor31 06-19-2015 04:42 PM

I signed up for PRP. Hopefully I'll get it and I'll find out where I'm going Monday after OC. :)

BonzerAsp 06-19-2015 06:22 PM

Good luck and have fun! I'm probably going to have to get my OC spray qual soon. I'm not looking forward to that whatsoever :(

futuresailor31 06-20-2015 01:43 PM

I'm just looking forward to getting it over and that's about it! Haha

DPearson 10-27-2015 12:10 PM

the instructors here do talk it up quite a bit, but i have heard mixed things about it. Im going PRP to King's Bay, Georgia anyways though. One of the advantages to PRP however is automatic E3 upon graduating A school, which is great since im an E1, and pretty fast advancement from there.