NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Female Question (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6672)

taylormadethis 05-15-2015 07:09 PM

Female Question

Hey, so im currently on birth control, the pill. Ive been talking about switching to the one that they insert into your arm. I forgot what its called, but it lasts for 3 years from what i understand. I leave mid July so i would be switching soon. Is this something that i need to ask my recruiter if i can do or is it something i could just tell her im doing it beforehand and just do it?

ejrwelch 05-15-2015 07:26 PM

dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its the devil stick!!!! ha ok well to each her own but I had THE WORST experience on it as have 75% of the people I know who have gotten it. Make sure you will be ok with the possible side effects before hand. You can PM me if you want to know what those are as I dont want to get too TMI in here. If you decide to do it and can wait until boot camp to get it placed its free (obviously lol) and its a free day away from the compartment and LLD for 2 days. I had mine for about a year and half before they would finally let me remove it so ask whatever you'd like to about it. Its the Nexplonon/implanon btw!
-CTI3 Welch

ejrwelch 05-15-2015 07:29 PM

Also if you get it before hand you won't have to tell you recruiter unless it causes an issue that makes you unable to ship and even then its non of their business that its birth control.
-CTI3 Welch

taylormadethis 05-15-2015 08:03 PM

I wasn't sure if i needed to tell her since my previous paperwork had said i took the pill.

ejrwelch 05-15-2015 08:12 PM

If you feel comfortable telling them then go for it! BC is BC so it shouldnt be an issue. I just know when Ive brought it up with my leadership here at my commands its like forbidden to talk about even though I am ok with it -_-.

taylormadethis 05-15-2015 08:43 PM

Oh ok, then maybe i shouldn't bother. Im alright talking about it. Its just birth control LOL.

Dianakit12 05-16-2015 01:25 AM

I have it currently. So far it's worked out really well for me :) But yeah, it's called the Nexplanon. The Navy can put it in for you at bootcamp if you're willing to wait. A lot of females I know got it at that point.

If you want to get it beforehand, just let your recruiter know because it does take about 2 or 3 weeks to totally heal up. The bruising and all mostly, but your arm is going to be stupid sore for about 2 or 3 days. After that you're free to do whatever. I got mine put in back in February of this year.

LT Guppy 05-16-2015 03:41 AM

I have nexplanon. It's pretty good.
But unless you have insurance hat will cover it, I'd wait until boot camp; it costs about $700.

taylormadethis 05-17-2015 08:52 AM

Yea my insurance covers it.

taylormadethis 05-17-2015 09:28 AM

So if I get it done early June, it should be completely healed by mid July when I ship out.