NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Swim Test (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6870)

Jeff 08-21-2015 11:46 AM

Swim Test

From what I found online (so i have no idea how true it is) in order to pass the first class swim test, you'll first need a red cross lifesaving certificate. is this correct? or will certification be available on site? It also states there is a required 1 min back float after the 5 min prone float. how accurate is this information?

JayMaple 08-21-2015 12:03 PM

i do not think that u need that for your rate just saying but idk more info is always good to have/know.

Jeff 08-21-2015 12:45 PM

you are correct, it is not needed for my rate. but why not get it done? I can do everything required by the test, just want to be sure I have all needed certs in place. the same thing goes for the 900 division. It is not needed to graduate bootcamp, but I can do the required performance and I look forward to a few more experiences from the training. I am not one to perform any less than 100%. =)

FlyNavy 08-21-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 55637)
you are correct, it is not needed for my rate. but why not get it done? I can do everything required by the test, just want to be sure I have all needed certs in place. the same thing goes for the 900 division. It is not needed to graduate bootcamp, but I can do the required performance and I look forward to a few more experiences from the training. I am not one to perform any less than 100%. =)

If you don't need it for your job then your command probably isn't going to set aside the time and money it'll take for you to go get it. So just keep that in mind.

They want you to be good on the command line...not a great swimmer haha

/r
CTT1

ejrwelch 08-21-2015 05:56 PM

They will let you do the second class swim test if they have enough time when you are at the pool so just speak up... the made me do it for my rate and told me I'd lose my rate if I failed (even though its not required)... needless to say I failed lmao.... so much stress and my forms already shot... but still here as a CTI. Anywho point is speak up! and if you get stationed some where that has people qual'd to do the second and first class swim test you may still be able to schedule (typically with the CFL office) or at least thats the option here and back home in VA.

FlyNavy 08-21-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejrwelch (Post 55643)
They will let you do the second class swim test if they have enough time when you are at the pool so just speak up... the made me do it for my rate and told me I'd lose my rate if I failed (even though its not required)... needless to say I failed lmao.... so much stress and my forms already shot... but still here as a CTI. Anywho point is speak up! and if you get stationed some where that has people qual'd to do the second and first class swim test you may still be able to schedule (typically with the CFL office) or at least thats the option here and back home in VA.

Pretty much anywhere you go is going to have someone at least 2nd class qualed. That's not a hard one to get.

/r
CTT1

blueice6102 12-24-2015 12:46 PM

What happens if you cant swim at all?

BonzerAsp 12-24-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice6102 (Post 56998)
What happens if you cant swim at all?

They have swim classes. I absolutely recommend you try to learn before basic though. It'll make your life SOOO much easier while you're there.

blueice6102 12-25-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzerAsp (Post 56999)
They have swim classes. I absolutely recommend you try to learn before basic though. It'll make your life SOOO much easier while you're there.

thanks. i will try & get some swim lessons asap.