NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Mail Buoy (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   letters at bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2012)

DenVader 10-19-2011 09:01 AM

letters at bootcamp

Random question. My wife is on navyformoms and she read that you can only send letters on white paper in white envelopes. The letters can't be more than 3 pages long, and recruits have to read the letters out loud. This doesn't seem right, is it? I remember Craig posting about sending letters in a different colored envelope so when they hand out letters you can see yours in the pile. Can someone please help settle my wife's nerves. Thanks
Future Sailor Denvader HM

DenVader 10-19-2011 09:16 AM

Follow up....she just said she saw that you can't send cards, pictures or newspaper clippings. Have they changed the rules?

Nukette 10-19-2011 09:29 AM

Totally, 100% not true! My bunkmate got letters in rainbow colored envelopes with pictures drawn all over them and they never said a word to her. Some RDCs might give them a hard time, but most probably won't care. You can get cards and pictures, but they'll make you open those in front of the RDC to make sure the card isn't musical and the pictures aren't inappropriate.

The best bet would be an envelope that's not white, but not neon colored either. You WILL NOT get in trouble for a colored envelope, bit it ist always wise to call too much attention to yourself. After the first few days another recruit will be assigned to handle the mail so your RDC will only see packages and extra thick envelopes.

One thing she might want to do is send an extra blank envelope with every letter she sends you. You don't get a whole lot of stationary, and you will run out quickly.

LT Guppy 10-19-2011 09:35 AM

Newspaper clippings are ok, you just can't send the whole thing.

DenVader 10-19-2011 10:25 AM

Thank you so much for the answers. I knew if I wanted answers this was the place to ask.

sweetmtn 10-19-2011 11:49 AM

LOL...I would send musical cards to recruits all the time...even to my boys, one navy and one army...yes they would get a bit more PT for them..but most of the kids asked for more!

Nukette 10-19-2011 01:16 PM

My RDCs were very kid when it came to mail. We had several people get cards with recorded messages from their families. They had to take the speakerbox out, but they got to keep the card itself and they were allowed to leave the speakerbox in the RDC's office and listen to it at night during evening routine.

Victoriarj 04-18-2016 11:19 AM

Can we still send voice mails to recruits? What's the easiest way to do this?

LT Guppy 04-18-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victoriarj (Post 58112)
Can we still send voice mails to recruits? What's the easiest way to do this?

I can't think of a time in the last 6 years that this has happened.