NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Religious Medallion (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5842)

navybound7 07-28-2014 11:16 AM

Religious Medallion

I've read that you are allowed to have a religious medallion at Great Lakes. In the START guide it just says you are allowed a small religious medallion, but I read somewhere else it has to be silver in color. Can anyone confirm this? I have worn my gold crucifix everyday for the past 18 years, do I need to purchase a silver one or will I be able to keep my gold one?

Thank you in advance.

mike 07-28-2014 11:27 AM

When they say religious medallion they mean you can keep it in your little box in your bed, not walk around with a gold chain on your neck. Would be cool though, I would buy one if it was okay to walk around with a gold chain on your neck.

navybound7 07-28-2014 11:42 AM

even if I am not allowed to wear it, I would still like to keep it with me, but am I allowed a gold one? or does it have to be silver?

mike 07-28-2014 11:54 AM

I'm not sure I haven't been to RTC, but I would bet that they won't care what color your religious medallion is. Worst case you mail it home.

Haasino 07-28-2014 12:20 PM

To wear it with your dog tags, it has to be no larger that the tag itself, and all silver in color... those were the regulations as I recall them. I'm not religious, so there may be more flexibility in the fleet that I'm not aware of.

LT Guppy 07-28-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 46936)
To wear it with your dog tags, it has to be no larger that the tag itself, and all silver in color... those were the regulations as I recall them. I'm not religious, so there may be more flexibility in the fleet that I'm not aware of.

In the fleet as long as it's tucked in your shirt, out of sight no one will care what it looks like (it doesn't even have to be religious) except around certain machinery where it is a safety issue.

FutureND 07-28-2014 02:02 PM

Like Hassino said, it must be sliver and smaller than a dog tag to wear with your dogs tags in RTC. However, after bootcamp nobody really cares. I wear my dog tags once a week, during quarters, and they come off right after that. We also have to wear one laced in our left boot.

mike 07-28-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureND (Post 46943)
Like Hassino said, it must be sliver and smaller than a dog tag to wear with your dogs tags in RTC. However, after bootcamp nobody really cares. I wear my dog tags once a week, during quarters, and they come off right after that. We also have to wear one laced in our left boot.

Sweet I'm going to get a nice silver chain now, lets you get some style and feel good, feel good do good is my motto.

Haasino 07-28-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I didn't wear my tags for about a year after RTC... now they're just looped through a zipper and into the pocket of my flight suit since it's required flight gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46944)
Sweet I'm going to get a nice silver chain now, lets you get some style and feel good, feel good do good is my motto.

That would be authorized under 2201.6d...

FlyNavy 07-28-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe that's a Diver thing? I haven't needed my dog tags since boot. Deployments and all. I still keep 'em just in case though.

/r
CTT1