NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   MT = MISSILE TECHNICIAN (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Clearance required for MT (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4842)

lacrosseplayer1 12-10-2013 11:43 AM

Clearance required for MT

Hello everyone,
I'm currently in DEP with a MT contract which from what I have seen requires a top secret clearance which I would not be able to get because of my parent's situation. However my recruiter tells me that even though the rate requires an SSBI it doesn't need a top secret clearance. Could someone please confirm or deny this?
Thanks!

Diesirae27 12-10-2013 12:58 PM

Have you DEPed in as MT? If so, you're pretty much in the clear and have nothing to worry about. If you haven't DEPed in, your classifier would be best to answer your question if you don't trust your recruiter.

Haasino 12-10-2013 01:29 PM

An SSBI is a Top Secret... your recruiter is either BSing you, or just doesn't know. Did you disclose your family situation on your SF-86? It might not be grounds for denial of a clearance.

kforbs126 12-10-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesirae27 (Post 38860)
Have you DEPed in as MT? If so, you're pretty much in the clear and have nothing to worry about. If you haven't DEPed in, your classifier would be best to answer your question if you don't trust your recruiter.

This is bad advice. Many TS clearances take a long time to approve, same with Secret. Are your parents not citizens? Plenty of people pick rates and get disapproved for clearances in boot and even in A school. I had 2 people complete A school still pending clearances. 1 received his and the other one didn't.

lacrosseplayer1 12-10-2013 02:30 PM

I have DEPped in with MT, however from what I can tell my family's situation would preclude me from getting a TS clearance. I have revealed their status on the SF-86. Kforbs, they aren't citizens or green card holders, they are asylum applicants. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

lacrosseplayer1 12-10-2013 02:33 PM

Also it says right there on the rate card that an SSBI is required, so I guess my recruiter isn't being too truthful. I'd be more than happy to change my rate to HM(which was what I had originally wanted) but while he has submitted a DAR he says that there's almost no chance that it'll go through.

kforbs126 12-10-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrosseplayer1 (Post 38864)
I have DEPped in with MT, however from what I can tell my family's situation would preclude me from getting a TS clearance. I have revealed their status on the SF-86. Kforbs, they aren't citizens or green card holders, they are asylum applicants. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Sounds like you may want to switch rates. I'd put in a DAR no matter what your recruiter says. Because it sounds like they would catch this in bootcamp and re-rate you then.

rac 12-10-2013 05:39 PM

I know you can get waivers for that, not sure how hard it would be now though. There was a kid at my station who got a waiver...but he was also 25 and hadn't seen them in a while. I know my mother is not an American citizen but I was eligible for top secret. She is here legally though and has been here for over 20 years.

griz3232 12-14-2013 09:05 PM

It is all done on an individual basis. Everyone's situation is different. Everyone that says they have an answer is just speculating. Just be honest about EVERYTHING and let the chips fall where they fall. Good Luck

military bratt 12-15-2013 12:22 AM

I agree with griz let it pan out if it ends up not working out well you will get another job and later down the road cross train into something else besides the navy is all about knowing as much as you can about all different things

lacrosseplayer1 01-01-2014 08:28 PM

Thanks again to everyone and I apologize for the late response, what with the holidays I couldn't get online too often. Since my DAR for HM doesn't seem to be going anywhere I will stay with MT and hope for the best!
Thanks again
-Tim

lacrosseplayer1 01-01-2014 08:32 PM

Also another quick question, further down the line if I stay with MT, do you think there would be a fair chance of cross-rating into SO? Or would the Navy make you stay on subs?
Thanks again

kforbs126 01-01-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrosseplayer1 (Post 39374)
Also another quick question, further down the line if I stay with MT, do you think there would be a fair chance of cross-rating into SO? Or would the Navy make you stay on subs?
Thanks again

If you get a shot at buds and if you make it you'll be converted to SO. If you don't it is possible to lose your rate even if you are a petty officer. I believe for you to get picked up for buds from the fleet your CO would have to release you from your duties.

Shane2390 02-05-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrosseplayer1 (Post 39374)
Thanks again

You can put in an application to cross rate after a certain time in once your done schooling. However you cant change your rate unless in boot you tell them you are clostrophobic, and you will get switched to a pac seaman or fireman or whatever is available. Also, yes it is definately a top secret rate and also you have to be put on the PRP navy personnel reliablity program for guarding and handling nuclear weapons. I would certainly ask someone about your parents incase it will disqaulify you and you would be forced into another rate. You could opt out before if you knew it was going to be an issue and reassign a rate at meps. If you need any other help feel free to email me @ smb2390@mail.com Im currently in the MT pipeline

lacrosseplayer1 02-05-2014 10:50 PM

Thanks for replying! My DAR went through thankfully and i'm now going to be an HM, which was what I had originally wanted.
Thanks everyone for your help though,
-Tim