NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   11 General Orders ~ The easy way (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205)

Craig 02-10-2012 02:59 AM

11 General Orders ~ The easy way

Hey all,
Since everyone has a hard time remembering the 11 General Orders, which you are required to know, I went ahead and compiled a list that a depper made and put them on a easy to read sheet.
Enjoy...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ep7dwh.jpg

Laworlo 02-10-2012 03:34 AM

I find it humorous that there is a list like this. It is very helpful. What is funny to me though is, when I was a kid I learned how to memorize by word/number associations. Almost everything is exactly how I "thought" of it in my mind to remember. The only difference is #9, I think of calling 911 if something is wrong. Thank you for posting. It helps considerably. The toughest one for me still is #11. Can't master that one yet.

cornfed32 02-10-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laworlo (Post 14545)
I find it humorous that there is a list like this. It is very helpful. What is funny to me though is, when I was a kid I learned how to memorize by word/number associations. Almost everything is exactly how I "thought" of it in my mind to remember. The only difference is #9, I think of calling 911 if something is wrong. Thank you for posting. It helps considerably. The toughest one for me still is #11. Can't master that one yet.

The only reason I remember 11 is because my recruiter made one Depper say it maybe 30 times before he memorized it. Right in front of us all. It was kind of amusing, but I remember it now.

prop827 02-10-2012 09:57 AM

This sounds oddly familiar..... I still have this almost exact memorized from when I was in boot camp using these tricks. It really works.

Craig 02-10-2012 09:48 PM

prop - That is the stuff you posted. I just compiled it into a document to help others. I loved that when you 1st posted it. It has sooooo much great information in it.

prop827 02-12-2012 02:04 PM

hahaha well I'm glad its out there to help everyone, no sense keeping it to yourself when others really need the information. I just found some humor in it haha.
:happyfeet:

ctraggie 02-14-2012 10:16 AM

At my DEP meetings my recruiter is pushing memorizing the GOs by memorizing the first few words of each one:
To take
To walk
To report
To repeat
To quit
To receive
To talk
To give
To call
To salute
To be especially

navycooke 02-14-2012 02:40 PM

The best way I found to memorize them is to do it in two parts. The first part being to just study and memorize the correct wording of each, without worrying about the order they come in. Secondly, memorize the order by just the first two words of each of them. It's easier to remember the order of two words than entire orders, and if you've already memorized the wording of each, when you recall the first two words the rest will come naturally.

It also helps to make "mental checkpoints" when you memorize the order. 3 and 4 are the double R's, report and repeat, and repeating comes after reporting naturally. 6 is the first long one. 9 is to call, by remembering 911 etc. 11's the last long one, then everything else just falls in between them. That's just what worked for me, just come up with however works for you like the ways in the image.

Laworlo 02-14-2012 02:51 PM

When learning mine (I do this at work or driving mainly), I will start with the first general order and respond like in BC. (For example, Petty Officer, my first general order is to take charge of this post and all government property in view, Petty Officer) I then will continue down the list. If I make even one mistake, I start over from the first general order and redo. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten far down the list and messed up one word and had to start all over again. lol

jkkremer 02-23-2012 05:02 PM

One of the ways to practice the GOs (that I got from one of the recruiters at my NRS) is to take two dice and roll them. Recite the GO from both dice and the GO when you add the two together. If you roll a 12, recite any GO you want. I used it and I never fail when we fall in and recite our GOs.

Laworlo 02-23-2012 08:14 PM

I like that one, I'll have to try it!

culp7 10-03-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkkremer (Post 14786)
One of the ways to practice the GOs (that I got from one of the recruiters at my NRS) is to take two dice and roll them. Recite the GO from both dice and the GO when you add the two together. If you roll a 12, recite any GO you want. I used it and I never fail when we fall in and recite our GOs.

Great idea! But yeah the 11 General Orders suck learning... To me its the hardest thing to memorize in the start guide..

Jjw1125 10-05-2012 03:18 AM

I have been writing them and rewriting them to learn them. Has mostly worked, however, It seems as I stumble over them when reciting them out of order. This is a very good idea to help with the memorizing. Thanks for posting! =)

NavyPrincess 10-05-2012 05:22 AM

I used a reward system while playing my favorite computer game (Zoo tycoon). I'd start with the first two and have to say them ascending and descending. Then i'd go to three and so on and so on. I had to say them perfectly or i wasnt allowed to put in a new animal. I must say it worked because I learned them in two days

LT Guppy 10-13-2012 08:50 PM

11 General Orders ~ The easy way

One thing that can help with memorization is just to see something over and over.
So I put together these computer wallpapers with the general orders.
Feel free to use them.

http://s1272.beta.photobucket.com/us...neral%20Orders

I also did a set for the Code of Conduct. Memorization of the Code of Conduct is not required for RTC.

Code of Conduct: http://s1272.beta.photobucket.com/us...20of%20Conduct

Blasterion 01-21-2013 07:31 PM

I find it extremely helpful if you remember to first 2 words of the order,
To take
To walk
To report
To repeat
To quit
To Receive (Obey and pass on)
To talk
To give
To call
To salute
To be

The rest kind of just flows.

Jsmith 01-22-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasterion (Post 26156)
I find it extremely helpful if you remember to first 2 words of the order,
To take
To walk
To report
To repeat
To quit
To Receive (Obey and pass on)
To talk
To give
To call
To salute
To be

The rest kind of just flows.

This is how I have learned them.

NAVY17 02-07-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks everyone for all the hints they are really helping!!!
20130716 HM

SENavyDude 02-08-2013 08:11 AM

I just said each one a few times in my head. And then I got it.

Blasterion 02-08-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SENavyDude (Post 27080)
I just said each one a few times in my head. And then I got it.

Sailor's Creed at Reveille, General Orders at Taps. That's how I do it

SENavyDude 02-08-2013 10:04 AM

Yeah pretty much like that. I mean. It's essential to learn it beforehand. I wish most of my DEP members knew that lol. Some of them are shipping out like this month, and don't even know the third order.

Blasterion 02-08-2013 01:11 PM

The third general order is like one of easiest ones!
To report all violation of orders I am instructed to enforce.

I'd understand if they miss 2,6, or 11 but 3?

PacificSunrise 03-06-2013 02:23 PM

This has been really helpful, only problem I have is with the longer ones, 2, 6 and 11.
Also helps writing them down, repitition.

griz3232 03-10-2013 06:14 PM

i used the top references for doing them out of order but what really hit it home for me was getting a notebook and start writing them down at least 5 times a piece

em4rtz 03-10-2013 08:44 PM

I can do the ranks, chain of command and like everything else.. its these 11 orders I'm still having trouble memorizing.. hopefully this helps.

PhlyPinoy 05-27-2013 03:33 AM

Use of word associations.. That is quite ingenious really. Wish I had this a few days ago. Would have saved me a bit more time and effort. I've (un?)fortunately already memorized them pretty easily. Did it the old fashioned way. I just repeated and recited them. Learning these cues should help with recall speed, which proves it will still remain invaluable.

What irked me the most was the slight details and the unorthodox grammatical flow as a whole (at least from my own manner of speech). For example, the 2nd General Order, "..keeping always on alert.." I've always had to correct myself from saying "..always keeping on alert..".

I'd advise everyone to get into the habit of reciting it verbally without hesitance and with the formalities included. "Petty Officer, this future sailor's/Recruit (in RTC Boot Camp) 3rd General Order of a Sentry, is to report all violations, I am instructed to enforce."

depsailorgroff 05-27-2013 07:07 AM

Great list. Definitely will help

Navygirl_1995 09-05-2013 09:16 AM

My neighbor is retired from the military. We were talking about the general orders and he could only name number two off the top of his head. Personally, this is extremely helpful for me. I had no clue where to begin memorizing, but this is really easy! I use dice to choose them, the number on each one and then the total, three in all. It really does help!

Kelley 09-29-2013 10:53 AM

The only real big problem I have is with 6 because 4 years of MCJROTC trying to convert into NAVY :l not exactly working too well. Thanks for this though hopefully I can get my DEP pool to see this and it'll help them.

bronxCTM 09-29-2013 11:18 AM

Yeah this was extremely helpful. I've read them before but didn't start memorizing until today...thanks for reminding me Kelley to remember them--its probably a good idea since I'm leaving in 57 days.

But with the help of this easy list, I was able to recite all 11 general orders after about 10 minutes of studying of this list. Very helpful!

Mrs_Breen 02-27-2014 09:09 AM

The website Quizlet.com is awesome because it has a lot of flashcards in the database you have access to. They have a website and an app you can register for and study all the stuff required to learn at RTC. 11 General Orders, Chain of Command, Insignias and Ranks etc. You can learn them, match them up, and other study "games". I am a teacher and use them for certain things in my English class. They really help a lot. I am making my husband study them before he leaves.

Seth_Breen_CTT 02-27-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_Breen (Post 41804)
The website Quizlet.com is awesome because it has a lot of flashcards in the database you have access to. They have a website and an app you can register for and study all the stuff required to learn at RTC. 11 General Orders, Chain of Command, Insignias and Ranks etc. You can learn them, match them up, and other study "games". I am a teacher and use them for certain things in my English class. They really help a lot. I am making my husband study them before he leaves.

"Making me" huh? :rofl: jk

Mrs_Breen 02-27-2014 12:23 PM

"Strongly encouraging".:cheerleader2:

Drewfaulkner68 04-25-2014 10:44 AM

my chief gave us a twelfth General Order and that would be
" My twelfth general order is that Chief is Always Right"

ESTheo 06-24-2014 11:38 AM

Thanks for the two step plan, really helpful!

mazardeus 09-07-2014 04:09 PM

This proves very helpful! Thank you! I have extremely random ways to memorize stuff.

ALJW2015 03-27-2015 08:56 AM

NJROTC...had to know this stuff for 4 years. So glad I did it!

usn_kmaisonet 04-22-2015 06:34 AM

I don't have access to see this. Can you email it ?

Christopher 10-02-2015 06:07 PM

I'm trying to learn the GO's. I did AFJROTC in High School for 3 1/2 years. It's definitely mind boggling but I'm doing it! The guide is a definite help, and should help me memorize them quicker. I have a DEP meeting this Wednesday so hopefully I have all 11 and the creed down before then.

Thanks for the guide!

BokuWaYoru 06-05-2016 01:55 PM

I was doing this myself, but this helped me come up with associations for the ones I was struggling with :) (the 7th, 8th and 11th especially)
I basically have the Orders themselves memorized but have been having trouble recalling them by number.