NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Uniform Costs from RTC (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6464)

JSlattery 02-03-2015 10:28 AM

Uniform Costs from RTC

So I have a question that I've heard two different things about, and I'm curious so my wife knows what to expect.

I know that I will have to pay for the uniforms and stuff issued at RTC, and I know it will come out of my check.

I've heard two things.
1) It'll all come out of one check.

or

2) In recent, they've been splitting it up to more than check.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.

FutureND 02-03-2015 11:14 AM

You do not pay for uniforms, you pay for your dirty bag items. That being said, 2 years ago when I went through it all came out of my first check.

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie 02-03-2015 11:32 AM

As said before, you pay for your ditty bag and not your uniform. My September pay was around $150 and I was there for half the month.

rosch 02-03-2015 01:51 PM

I'm sure it's been posted, but I"m not sure where. How much does someone get before boot camp? I 'm curious about this to make sure I can my girlfriend will still have my help to pay bills. I just want to be able to figure everything up.

LT Guppy 02-03-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosch (Post 51796)
I'm sure it's been posted, but I"m not sure where. How much does someone get before boot camp? I 'm curious about this to make sure I can my girlfriend will still have my help to pay bills. I just want to be able to figure everything up.

What do you mean? You dont get anything before bootcamp

ryanmathew 02-03-2015 04:05 PM

I know what a ditty bag is, but can someone please explain further what the "items" mentioned are?

jzhaun 02-03-2015 04:14 PM

Body wash, razors, shaving cream, toothbrush/paste, boot polish, stamping kit (to put your name on your uniforms), shower shoes etc. It adds up.

CoolHandL 02-03-2015 06:15 PM

What can be confusing is the cost of the sea bag (uniforms and such) comes out of your pay, but it is balanced by a clothing allowance they put in. You won't be in the hole, but it may take a couple pay cycles to balance out. Either (1) or (2) might be correct.

ryanmathew 02-03-2015 06:16 PM

Ah, okay. This makes more sense! Thank you.

sweetmtn 02-03-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosch (Post 51796)

As Guppy said you don't get anything before bootcamp...that being said, you will get the pay at what ever scale your rate is, E1 or E2 pay, minus the ditty bag cost...being you are not married you will not get anything extra like BAH...you will be taxed at the rate of the state you are from as that is your home of record as a single person.

here is the most current pay scale I can find:
https://www.navycs.com/charts/2015-m...pay-chart.html

So for an approximate pay after state and federal taxes as an E2 you might see about $1000 plus or minus..(between state and federal taxes they take on average 1/3 and sometimes it can be more) .however with all that is done with the cost of the ditty bag you will see less. It can take up to a few pay periods to get all straightened out to a regular pay you can count on the amount to be.

rosch 02-03-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 51802)
What do you mean? You dont get anything before bootcamp

I worded that WAY wrong, but I did find the answer I needed. Sorry.

ALJW2015 03-26-2015 08:50 AM

Speaking of uniforms, what uniforms do you get at Boot Camp?

cthornton1126 07-26-2015 04:43 PM

This is good to know, I was fully expecting there would be deductions for everything like, food housing, uniforms...

FCbeans 08-03-2015 08:24 PM

The Navy gave me a 252 dollar clothing credit, and then deducted 666 dollars and some change(clothing, recruit card, etc). Just checked the facts with my files. Should be around there, although i imagine going in the winter/being female would be different amounts.