NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Quick question (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6939)

Measiab4543 10-06-2015 07:24 AM

Quick question

Do they provide stamps at RTC or should I buy my own before I leave today?

jabONE 10-06-2015 07:28 AM

I would not buy any as they may make you send them back with all your belongings. I cannot remember if they provide them with all your assigned gear, but I do not believe they do. They will however, give you the opportunity to get them in the first week or two as your whole division will take a trip to the exchange to purchase needed items not supplied already.

Measiab4543 10-06-2015 07:35 AM

Do I need to take cash to purchase them or will they take it out of my check or something?

jeannesarah 10-06-2015 08:38 AM

My son is at RTC now & he took stamps and did not have to send them home with his stuff. On the mom's site it said he could keep a thin black wallet with some stamps, a little cash (he took $20 to use on the trip up & in case his flight was delayed - which it was for about 6 hours). He also took his ID & a debit card. Also we slid in a couple of band aids & 2 small pieces of moleskin for blisters. Also 2 small pictures. He was allowed to keep all of that plus a very small address book. The key is to keep the wallet thin & plain I think. You can buy the stamps eventually with the Navy Exchange card you are issued but he said in a letter that he was glad he took some - it was one less thing to worry about. He was issued some RTC stationary. He also took a very plain black watch ($15 from wal-mart) that he was allowed to keep.

BonzerAsp 10-06-2015 11:53 AM

You're issued a "Recruit pack" which includes RTC stationary, envelopes, and stamps. If they run out of stamps, they can get some more next time they go to the exchange. I still have a bunch of them laying around here somewhere.... lol

Nicknyte 10-06-2015 02:17 PM

Hello! You can always buy stamps while at RTC, but if you keep your stamps in your wallet when you get there, then you should be fine. They will give you a sock to keep your valuables in the day you get there (and yes, I do mean an actual white sock). Getting those stamps again to buy depends on which day you will get to run to the Recruit Nex to buy more, which you may purchase by asking for some from the cashier.

Measiab4543 10-06-2015 10:22 PM

Thank you all so much

biruis 10-10-2015 08:18 PM

I just got out of RTC like 2 weeks ago.
They do not provide you with stamps. But you'll get to buy them at the nex before you'll even be allowed to mail letters.

You will be issued a NEX gift card for like $140. Don't buy a lot of stuff.

Everything besides your uniform items will have to fit in a very small drawer. So be conservative when you buy your living supplies.

You can also bring your own. Just keep them in your wallet. And I had my family send me stamps so I never actually had to buy any at the nex.

And the day you ship, dress as lightly as possible. You'll be sending all your clothes home and you'll pay by weight. If I could go back, I would have just worn gym shorts. No one got in trouble for what they wore into boot camp.