NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Ask a Naval Aircrewman (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4163)

Haasino 09-10-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDMARIE (Post 48441)
Ok so I'm kind of freaking out, I ship to basic next Tuesday as AIRC which I'm pretty excited about but I have a few concerns. My husband is currently at selection for the Green Berets, I haven't had contact with him, and he gets home friday after I leave so it's been a while since I've seen him and obviously going to be a little while longer til I do. My question is about taking leave while going through the pipeline. I graduate basic the week before thanksgiving, so I'm not sure if I could take leave for that. Also how often can I take leave, if I have it, throughout school. Are they pretty cool about letting you leave on weekends, holidays, etc. or am I basically stuck there my whole pipeline?

Probably not for Thanksgiving... but you will be able to take about 16-18 days of leave over Christmas/New Years which'll happen while you're at NACCS. This is known as Holiday Stand-down and happens at most training commands... so if you're in training long enough you might get to take it twice like I did. Other than that, you're generally not going to be allowed to take leave once you're actually in class... some commands may let you take leave if you're on hold waiting to class-up, however. As far as weekends go, you're going to have to be Phase III in Pensacola in order to stay out overnight... and you'll need to sign out with a liberty buddy. You'll also be limited to how far from base you can travel... I think it was 75-100miles or thereabouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid.life (Post 48449)
Any info on what to expect for this? I'll be reporting to Whidbey island after training since I live in the Seattle area. I'm guessing a year from home for boot camp and training time. That sound right? And do we do SERE school?

Yeah, you'll be going to VR-61 as an AWF on the C-40 Clipper... unless the moons align and you get one of the ultra-rare reserve AWO billets and go to VP-69. You won't be going to SERE as an AWF... you will if you get AWO. And, yes... I'd say about a year is a fair assumption... maybe 1.5 if you end up waiting for a while to class-up at NACCS or A School.

RANDMARIE 09-10-2014 10:24 PM

Ok so there is a chance a reservist doesn't have to be a damn flight attendant? That just sounds awful. And there's a chance a reservist can go to SERE? I was pretty excited about that part.

Haasino 09-10-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDMARIE (Post 48462)
Ok so there is a chance a reservist doesn't have to be a damn flight attendant? That just sounds awful. And there's a chance a reservist can go to SERE? I was pretty excited about that part.

Are you Full Time Support, or one-weekend-a-month Reserve? From my experience, only FTS AWF's have been given C-130 orders... and even that was rare for them. The rest went to C-40 or C-12 squadrons... you'll do loadmaster duties as well though; not just flight attendant stuff. As far as SERE goes, you'll get a lower level online course at some point to cover the Code of Conduct and whatnot... but you're not gonna get the Level-C slap & tickle course as a Reservist.

SanDiego 09-11-2014 05:35 AM

Hey Hassino, I just came from MEPS yesterday and was fortunate enough to pick up the AIRC contract. The experiences you've given as an AWO sound great and a rating I'd like to shoot for. My questions are currently as an AW dry where are possible places for being stationed? Obviously I grew up in San Diego and I know North Island is an NAS but are only wet stationed there? Just curious on what some of my options may be for duty stations. Also, is it possible to go wet although AIRR isn't in my contract? Lastly, clearly I passed the basic requirements to gain the contract but how much more in depth was the flight physical? Do you know people who have gained an AIRC contract yet failed a flight physical and had to choose another rating? Thanks in advance.

Haasino 09-11-2014 08:01 AM

If you get the AWO rating... which is the most likely option right now... your duty stations will be Jacksonville, FL if you fly on the P-8 Poseidon, and Whidbey Island, WA or Kaneohe Bay, HI if you fly on the P-3 Orion. There are 3 squadrons in Hawaii, but they're going to be moving to Whidbey Island starting in 2017... so ultimately all Patrol Squadrons will be in Jax or Whidbey. There are no AWO's stationed in San Diego... however, we do make dets (Think, few days to a few week mini-deployments) to San Diego from Whidbey for counter-narcotics missions. AIRR is a Naval Special Warfare program, so it's technically always available to you if you want to try to compete for it... once you leave for RTC, however, the chances of getting it go down significantly. And unfortunately, yes, a lot of people get disqualified from Aircrew by the flight physical... some are non-waiverable and have to choose another rating, but most can obtain a waiver... I had to stick around RTC and work an admin job for 2 months waiting for a waiver to clear; I actually spent more time in Great Lakes as a Sailor than I did as a Recruit, lol. They've since streamlined the waiver process though... so you wouldn't be waiting as long as a lot of us did before you if you need a waiver.

SanDiego 09-11-2014 09:47 AM

Much appreciated. Guess there's nothing I can do regarding the flight physical. It will be what it will be. Lol That's funny. I wouldn't mind being on hold at any point I'll still be getting paid! Haha. Although I'm sure sitting and waiting on the outcome for waivers can be a constant buzzkill. But dang, I spent my high school years in Hawai'i; kind of a bummer it may not be an option by the time I get orders. I don't ship till May of 2015 and by the time I would complete the pipeline I'm sure everyone will already be in Whidbey. I'd much rather be an aircrewman than black shoe Navy just to get Hawai'i though. I guess if I can't make the flight physical there's always that option haha. But are only AWS/AWR stationed in San Diego? I won't ship for 8 months so maybe somewhere down the line while I'm in DEP I could volunteer for the challenge contract for AIRR. If not, just curious if other AW can be stationed in SD? Honestly, I don't mind not being in SD but I also wouldn't mind being able to surf while home lol.

proudmama 09-11-2014 11:56 AM

Hi Hassino,

I've seen you alot on here. I'm mom to NavyPrincess.. Anyways now it's my son's turn to dep in an is interested in Aircrewman. From reading over this, there's an additional schooling between rtc and A school that is more physically demanding than rtc? I want to make sure my kid is ready.

Thank you for your service and information

Haasino 09-11-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiego (Post 48469)
Much appreciated. Guess there's nothing I can do regarding the flight physical. It will be what it will be. Lol That's funny. I wouldn't mind being on hold at any point I'll still be getting paid! Haha. Although I'm sure sitting and waiting on the outcome for waivers can be a constant buzzkill. But dang, I spent my high school years in Hawai'i; kind of a bummer it may not be an option by the time I get orders. I don't ship till May of 2015 and by the time I would complete the pipeline I'm sure everyone will already be in Whidbey. I'd much rather be an aircrewman than black shoe Navy just to get Hawai'i though. I guess if I can't make the flight physical there's always that option haha. But are only AWS/AWR stationed in San Diego? I won't ship for 8 months so maybe somewhere down the line while I'm in DEP I could volunteer for the challenge contract for AIRR. If not, just curious if other AW can be stationed in SD? Honestly, I don't mind not being in SD but I also wouldn't mind being able to surf while home lol.

No prob! Yeah, the flight physical is just one of those things that you can't control... so no point in worrying about it. Hawaii is scheduled to start moving in 2017... but everything gets delayed when it comes to Navy planning. And as far as fixed-wing AW's in San Diego... there are Reserve AWF's in VR-57, and active duty AWF's in VRC-30. However, AWF's are going through a rough time right now as their billets are steadily cut and the rate ultimately disestablished... so advancement for active duty is near zero. I would advise taking a change of scenery over bucking for AWF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by proudmama (Post 48474)
Hi Hassino,

I've seen you alot on here. I'm mom to NavyPrincess.. Anyways now it's my son's turn to dep in an is interested in Aircrewman. From reading over this, there's an additional schooling between rtc and A school that is more physically demanding than rtc? I want to make sure my kid is ready.

Thank you for your service and information

Yes, he'll be going through Naval Aircrew Candidate School (NACCS), which is a candidacy school involving more strenuous PT than what other non Naval Special Warfare ratings have to go through... it's mostly running and stress-sets, with water survival tests that require you to be comfortable in the water. It's perfectly doable as long as your son gets some experience in the pool and shows up in shape and able to pass a PRT well above his minimum requirements.

squid.life 09-12-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 48461)
Probably not for Thanksgiving... but you will be able to take about 16-18 days of leave over Christmas/New Years which'll happen while you're at NACCS. This is known as Holiday Stand-down and happens at most training commands... so if you're in training long enough you might get to take it twice like I did. Other than that, you're generally not going to be allowed to take leave once you're actually in class... some commands may let you take leave if you're on hold waiting to class-up, however. As far as weekends go, you're going to have to be Phase III in Pensacola in order to stay out overnight... and you'll need to sign out with a liberty buddy. You'll also be limited to how far from base you can travel... I think it was 75-100miles or thereabouts.

Yeah, you'll be going to VR-61 as an AWF on the C-40 Clipper... unless the moons align and you get one of the ultra-rare reserve AWO billets and go to VP-69. You won't be going to SERE as an AWF... you will if you get AWO. And, yes... I'd say about a year is a fair assumption... maybe 1.5 if you end up waiting for a while to class-up at NACCS or A School.

So, as a reservist, who will join full time as soon as I can, I'm 36 and had to do the reserves to get in. Am I screwed? Flight attendant/loadmaster is fine, but it sounds like AWF is going away from how you're talking. And when I do reenlist after my two years, how will it all pan out? Also are you stationed at Whidbey as well?

Haasino 09-12-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid.life (Post 48511)
So, as a reservist, who will join full time as soon as I can, I'm 36 and had to do the reserves to get in. Am I screwed? Flight attendant/loadmaster is fine, but it sounds like AWF is going away from how you're talking. And when I do reenlist after my two years, how will it all pan out? Also are you stationed at Whidbey as well?

It is and it isn't... P-3 flight engineers and in-flight technicians are going away as the P-3 is gradually phased out and replaced with the P-8, which only has AWO's onboard. However, the flight engineers, reel operators, ESOP's, crewchiefs, loadmasters, and TSS' on the E-6, EP-3, C-40, C-12, C-130, and C-2 platforms aren't going anywhere. If you get one of the jobs and platforms other than P-3, you'll still retain that billet... your rate is probably going to be changing. Currently, they're discussing the future of the AW series ratings and are most likely going to return to the pre-2008 system where AWO was the only true AW rate, AWF was mostly AE's, and AWV was mostly AT's. This'll let you advance at the rate of the Aviation Electrician community... you'll just be volunteering for Aircrew duties.

And yep, I'm up here in Whidbey... love it!

squid.life 09-12-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 48515)
It is and it isn't... P-3 flight engineers and in-flight technicians are going away as the P-3 is gradually phased out and replaced with the P-8, which only has AWO's onboard. However, the flight engineers, reel operators, ESOP's, crewchiefs, loadmasters, and TSS' on the E-6, EP-3, C-40, C-12, C-130, and C-2 platforms aren't going anywhere. If you get one of the jobs and platforms other than P-3, you'll still retain that billet... your rate is probably going to be changing. Currently, they're discussing the future of the AW series ratings and are most likely going to return to the pre-2008 system where AWO was the only true AW rate, AWF was mostly AE's, and AWV was mostly AT's. This'll let you advance at the rate of the Aviation Electrician community... you'll just be volunteering for Aircrew duties.

And yep, I'm up here in Whidbey... love it!

Awesome. PM'd you Haasino.

Haasino 09-12-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid.life (Post 48516)
Awesome. PM'd you Haasino.

Replied!

Gremmin 09-13-2014 06:14 PM

Has anyone on this forum been through the rescue swimmer program? I've got some questions about that.

Haasino 09-14-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremmin (Post 48572)
Has anyone on this forum been through the rescue swimmer program? I've got some questions about that.

There are no helo guys on here that I'm aware of... but I've got some 2nd-hand knowledge of what goes on at RSS from the AWR's I know who went through it. What are you interested in knowing?

Gremmin 09-14-2014 12:03 PM

I've been trying to research but really haven't come up with clear answers.
Does everyone on helo's that are on the boats have to go through rss, or only people designated as rescue swimmers.

I don't feel like I will have a problem with NACCS but because of my size I don't know how well I will do with RSS. So I was wondering if anyone had seen smaller guys go through it without problems.

I'm not even sure if I will be going to it since I am still waiting to go to meps and my recruiter isn't giving me any info on when I will be able to go because of the male lock out.

Haasino 09-14-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremmin (Post 48580)
I've been trying to research but really haven't come up with clear answers.
Does everyone on helo's that are on the boats have to go through rss, or only people designated as rescue swimmers.

I don't feel like I will have a problem with NACCS but because of my size I don't know how well I will do with RSS. So I was wondering if anyone had seen smaller guys go through it without problems.

I'm not even sure if I will be going to it since I am still waiting to go to meps and my recruiter isn't giving me any info on when I will be able to go because of the male lock out.

Everyone on the H-60 platform (Be it AWR's on the MH-60R Seahawk or AWS's on the MH-60S Knighthawk) are also designated as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer and have to go through NACCS and RSS. AWS's on the MH-53E Sea Dragon are not Aviation Rescue Swimmers and only have to go through NACCS... these are the guys you'll hear referred to as AWS "Dry".

One of the AWR's in my A School class was pretty short... whenever anyone teased him about it, his reply was that he'd be the only guy without back problems in 6 years from having to hunch over in the back of the -60 all day. Yeah, you're going to have to do buddy-tow swims and they'll probably make you tow the biggest guy... but even if you're 5'1", it's not like you're fireman carrying someone 250lbs up a flight of stairs. You will need to make sure you're running and swimming endurance is very high though... don't expect to succeed if you're having to push yourself just to make the minimum PST scores.

Gremmin 09-14-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 48581)
Everyone on the H-60 platform (Be it AWR's on the MH-60R Seahawk or AWS's on the MH-60S Knighthawk) are also designated as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer and have to go through NACCS and RSS. AWS's on the MH-53E Sea Dragon are not Aviation Rescue Swimmers and only have to go through NACCS... these are the guys you'll hear referred to as AWS "Dry".

One of the AWR's in my A School class was pretty short... whenever anyone teased him about it, his reply was that he'd be the only guy without back problems in 6 years from having to hunch over in the back of the -60 all day. Yeah, you're going to have to do buddy-tow swims and they'll probably make you tow the biggest guy... but even if you're 5'1", it's not like you're fireman carrying someone 250lbs up a flight of stairs. You will need to make sure you're running and swimming endurance is very high though... don't expect to succeed if you're having to push yourself just to make the minimum PST scores.

Thanks, I am ok with PST scores. the thing that concerned me is that I don't weigh much so I am not sure how I will fair with buddy tows. Push ups, sit ups, and pull ups I am good on. running and swimming endurance is what I am working on now.

Haasino 09-14-2014 05:03 PM

How tall are you? Guy in my class was probably 5'6" at the tallest... he made it through alright. You'll have to work harder during the buddy tow evolutions, but it won't be impossible. Some candidates are naturally more buoyant or are better runners than others... just means some have to maintain slightly more motivation than others. Definitely keep working on your running and swimming... those are the two biggest hurdles RSS candidates have to deal with.

Gremmin 09-14-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 48589)
How tall are you? Guy in my class was probably 5'6" at the tallest... he made it through alright. You'll have to work harder during the buddy tow evolutions, but it won't be impossible. Some candidates are naturally more buoyant or are better runners than others... just means some have to maintain slightly more motivation than others. Definitely keep working on your running and swimming... those are the two biggest hurdles RSS candidates have to deal with.

I am 5'5, I'll keep working on my endurance. and hope that I can get aw when I go to meps.

ShotOfWSC 09-16-2014 09:17 PM

Hey man. IT3 Harmon here, and I'm fresh out of IT "C" school. I've always been interested in aircrew. Can ITs volunteer for aircrew? If so, what do aircrew ITs do, and what can you tell me about it?

Haasino 09-16-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC (Post 48699)
Hey man. IT3 Huntley here, and I'm fresh out of IT "C" school. I've always been interested in aircrew. Can ITs volunteer for aircrew? If so, what do aircrew ITs do, and what can you tell me about it?

Unfortunately, IT isn't a rating that's able to volunteer for Aircrew. Outside of the AW[x] series ratings, only certain Cryptologic Technician ratings and SAR Corpsmen can volunteer to fly.

ShotOfWSC 09-17-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 48700)
Unfortunately, IT isn't a rating that's able to volunteer for Aircrew. Outside of the AW[x] series ratings, only certain Cryptologic Technician ratings and SAR Corpsmen can volunteer to fly.

Dang, that sucks...lol. Thanks for the info man!

Haasino 09-17-2014 04:01 PM

Sorry, man... wish I could offer better news. I'd recommend trying to get orders to a VP squadron though, the IT's here really enjoy life.

awishbone 10-02-2014 05:57 PM

aircrew fts

im aircrew fts, and i was just wondering. Where do we most likely get stationed, and do we still get to travel as much as active duty aircrew? and do we have time to sight see and stuff or no?

Haasino 10-02-2014 06:29 PM

FTS is most likely going to give you the AWF rating and put you in a VR squadron on either the C-40, C-130, or C-12. The C-40 squadrons are in Jacksonville, FL... Oceana, VA... San Diego, CA... Fort Worth, TX... and Whidbey Island, WA. The C-130 squadrons are in Jacksonville, FL... New Orleans, LA... Trenton, NJ... Washington DC... and Point Magu, CA. C-12 squadrons are in Japan. FTS is essentially active duty, you just get paid from the Naval Reserve fund. You won't travel quite as much as AD folks, but you'll still get plenty of travel time in and will have plenty of time to sight-see along the way.

awishbone 10-06-2014 03:29 PM

overseas

Aw man, i was really looking foward to being stationed over seas one day. So thats not possible then with fts ?

Diverdee90 10-06-2014 04:17 PM

So my son went to MEPS today and signed his contract and swore into DEP program. He got AIRC contract and after the AIRC it says ATF can you explain what he will be doing/ jobs... Im just curious because i dont see stuff with ATF info....

SanDiego 10-06-2014 04:48 PM

ATF, if I'm not mistaken just stands for Advanced Technical Field, which is what AIRC is a part of. It doesn't necessary refer to which rating he'll get within the Aircrew community. From what I've learned is he won't know what rating he'll actually receive until he's at NACCS after RTC. He could become AWO, AWF, AWS (i believe that's an option without being Air Rescue) or AWV. It's dependent on his performance, interest, and of course the needs of the Navy. I'm also a future sailor in the DEP program with an AIRC contract. I leave for RTC in May.

SanDiego 10-06-2014 04:53 PM

Hey Haasino, I have a question regarding the Class II swim test. It states that I have to jump from a height of 10 feet and then float for 10 minutes. I have a hard time floating on my back, my legs seem to sink while the rest of my body floats. Do they require you to float on your back for this portion of the swim test?

Diverdee90 10-06-2014 05:14 PM

Thanks SanDiego - he leaves for RTC in June :)

Haasino 10-06-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awishbone (Post 49174)
Aw man, i was really looking foward to being stationed over seas one day. So thats not possible then with fts ?

I won't say it's not possible, because I know 2 AWF's who are in Japan on C-12's... but it's unlikely. You'll get to visit plenty of foreign countries though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 49176)
So my son went to MEPS today and signed his contract and swore into DEP program. He got AIRC contract and after the AIRC it says ATF can you explain what he will be doing/ jobs... Im just curious because i dont see stuff with ATF info....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiego (Post 49177)
ATF, if I'm not mistaken just stands for Advanced Technical Field, which is what AIRC is a part of. It doesn't necessary refer to which rating he'll get within the Aircrew community. From what I've learned is he won't know what rating he'll actually receive until he's at NACCS after RTC. He could become AWO, AWF, AWS (i believe that's an option without being Air Rescue) or AWV. It's dependent on his performance, interest, and of course the needs of the Navy. I'm also a future sailor in the DEP program with an AIRC contract. I leave for RTC in May.

^ Exactly what SanDiego said... ATF just means he has follow-on training past "A" School and will be advanced to Petty Officer 3rd Class automatically upon completion of training. Right now the most likely option for him out of NACCS, assuming he's active duty, will be the Naval Aircrewman (Operator) rating, which is a sensor/radar operator on maritime patrol and reconnaissance planes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiego (Post 49178)
Hey Haasino, I have a question regarding the Class II swim test. It states that I have to jump from a height of 10 feet and then float for 10 minutes. I have a hard time floating on my back, my legs seem to sink while the rest of my body floats. Do they require you to float on your back for this portion of the swim test?

You'll never float on your back... doing so in a real-world survival situation would have waves crashing over your face constantly. The prone float is done face-down, with the back of your head and shoulder-blades on the surface... your legs can hang down below you. Check out the NACCS video posted in the other thread for examples of every swim evolution you'll be required to complete while at NACCS.

awishbone 10-06-2014 06:39 PM

put on hold

oh! last question, i heard also that for active duty aircrew women people get put on a hold because there are only a certain amount of women put in to candidate school at a time, but that for FTS its even worse? do you know anything about the wait time? or if you experienced any ?

Diverdee90 10-06-2014 07:26 PM

^ Exactly what SanDiego said... ATF just means he has follow-on training past "A" School and will be advanced to Petty Officer 3rd Class automatically upon completion of training. Right now the most likely option for him out of NACCS, assuming he's active duty, will be the Naval Aircrewman (Operator) rating, which is a sensor/radar operator on maritime patrol and reconnaissance planes.

Yes he will be active duty - the advancement to Petty Officer 3rd Class would be after he has completed "A" school and NACCS correct? Thank you so much for answering all questions, it is very helpful....

Haasino 10-06-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awishbone (Post 49183)
oh! last question, i heard also that for active duty aircrew women people get put on a hold because there are only a certain amount of women put in to candidate school at a time, but that for FTS its even worse? do you know anything about the wait time? or if you experienced any ?

When I got to NACCS in January, 2013 the backlog wait was about 1 month... in the nearly 2 years since then, it's been as little as 4 days, and as long as 3 months. It all varies... but yes, Reserve and FTS generally class up slightly slower than AD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diverdee90 (Post 49184)
Yes he will be active duty - the advancement to Petty Officer 3rd Class would be after he has completed "A" school and NACCS correct? Thank you so much for answering all questions, it is very helpful....

This is where you need to break out his contract paperwork and take a look at the specific details. His Agreement to Extend Enlistment is the form that grants him automatic E-4 in exchange for an extra 2 years of service... the standard form for AIRC states that advancement is authorized upon completion of NACCS, "A" School, and FRS... but some people got the standard ATF contract, which authorizes advancement upon completion of "A" School. Assuming he gets the most likely option of AWO, this would mean either advancing out of VP-30 after about 2 years in service, or advancing upon arriving at VP-30 after about 1 year of service.

Codyrunescapeo9 10-07-2014 02:44 PM

Leaving soon for aircrew.

I am leaving in six days for Naval Aircrew, but I just flew for the first time and honestly I did not like it. I still want to leave on my date for basic. I am under a full time support naval aircrew contract. What are my options as far as unvolunteering from aircrew and rerating? What route do I take to do this once I'm in? Do I need to wait til after basic to rerate? And will I lose my FTS status and go back part time by doing so? Any advice is appreciate. Thanks!

Haasino 10-07-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codyrunescapeo9 (Post 49198)
I am leaving in six days for Naval Aircrew, but I just flew for the first time and honestly I did not like it. I still want to leave on my date for basic. I am under a full time support naval aircrew contract. What are my options as far as unvolunteering from aircrew and rerating? What route do I take to do this once I'm in? Do I need to wait til after basic to rerate? And will I lose my FTS status and go back part time by doing so? Any advice is appreciate. Thanks!

Being a Navy Flyer is completely voluntary, and you can DOR (Drop on Request) at any time in your career. It usually means you'll go PACT/Undesignated... I don't know how it will work as FTS.

For the love of God, drop now if you don't like flying! This is a very challenging pipeline that's going to push you beyond your limits... your wasting your time, and everyone else's, if you wait til NACCS to DOR. You're also going to be thrown into hold until the Navy can figure out what to do with you... expect a long wait if you're Reserve and DOR.

Best thing to do is just don't sign the forms volunteering to fly when you go back to MEPS... let them sort things out while you can still be at home... rather than scrubbing toilets and pulling weeds in Pensacola in a hold status.

Codyrunescapeo9 10-07-2014 04:46 PM

That's exactly as I was feeling, I thought flying was something I would like and it's absolutely not. Have you ever heard of any one dropping flight status or rerating at basic? I'd really like to leave on my original ship date regardless, but I don't want to screw myself or others in the process. Is that possible at basic, or is that just an absurd question?

Haasino 10-07-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codyrunescapeo9 (Post 49207)
That's exactly as I was feeling, I thought flying was something I would like and it's absolutely not. Have you ever heard of any one dropping flight status or rerating at basic? I'd really like to leave on my original ship date regardless, but I don't want to screw myself or others in the process. Is that possible at basic, or is that just an absurd question?

They're not going to drop or re-rate you at RTC unless you are medically disqualified from flying (Something you have no control over)... the reason being is that RTC is designed to pump you out 8 weeks after you arrive; they don't have the time or facilities to hold you while you voluntarily wait for a new rate. If you try to DOR, they're gonna tall you to talk to the folks when you arrive at NACCS... and NACCS is just gonna put you on hold cleaning toilets until they can figure out what to do with you (Assuming they can't just send you across the street undesignated).

Trust me, dude... you'd rather delay your ship date and re-rate prior to leaving than sit on hold while the Navy drags its feet to find a purpose for you.

Codyrunescapeo9 10-07-2014 05:31 PM

I appreciate all your help man, means a lot! Thank you!

awishbone 10-07-2014 07:22 PM

Thank you!

ive been asking questions on here for a couple months about aircrew and you've answered all of them and definitely eased my mind a lot! Thank you so much!