NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   AG = AEROGRAPHERS MATE (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Prior Service Question (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7107)

thatnavyguy87 02-20-2016 01:01 PM

Prior Service Question

Afternoon folks,
I am a prior service Marine vet, and just recently re-enlisted in the Navy reserve as an AG. I know that I have to go to A school, which was stated in my contract. However, I read that AG's are "supposed" to go to C school by the 4-6 year mark in their career. I am currently at 5.5 years TIS, and wondering if you have heard of an E-3 going through A school and then immediately reporting to C school. Thanks for any info.

AGAN Langan

LT Guppy 02-20-2016 02:49 PM

Since you're going in as an E3, I wouldn't expect to go directly through C school.

FlyNavy 02-20-2016 04:31 PM

Once you get to your reserve command start poking them about getting you schools. Reserves move at a muuuuuch slower pace than what you're going to be used to coming from the Active force, so be patient. It can literally take years sometimes, but in the grand scheme of your reserve career that's really nothing.

/r
CTT1

FlyNavy 02-20-2016 04:32 PM

Also, congrats on making the return trip. We're glad to have you back!

/r
CTT1

YN2(AW)Williams 02-20-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatnavyguy87 (Post 57613)
Afternoon folks,
I am a prior service Marine vet, and just recently re-enlisted in the Navy reserve as an AG. I know that I have to go to A school, which was stated in my contract. However, I read that AG's are "supposed" to go to C school by the 4-6 year mark in their career. I am currently at 5.5 years TIS, and wondering if you have heard of an E-3 going through A school and then immediately reporting to C school. Thanks for any info.

AGAN Langan

It is not totally unheard of, but not very likely. When they say 4-6 year mark they really mean Time in Rate. Having said that, even YNs can get picked up for Flag Writer right out of A school, and that is one of the most selective programs in the entire Navy. So it ~can~ happen.

Mparker181 07-18-2016 03:56 PM

AG3 Buritica here. Not sure if you still check this but none of the above is 100% true as an AG. Because the way our job works the push you to go to C school as fast as possible, even in the reserve. The reserve component goes through a much different C school however and can be done through online courses mainly. They are just now phasing out the fast paced class down in Gulfport. At 2 years most of the AGs I work with are off to C school, with the exception of me because I chose not to reenlist as an AG at this time (stupid choice).