NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Dental in Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6683)

FCbeans 05-19-2015 09:23 PM

Dental in Bootcamp

Hello all,
I ship out in 13 days, and today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. Turns out I have two cavities and a spot, all on my rear molars. One cavity could possibly need to have a root canal if not taken care of within 8-10 weeks. Should I have the work done ASAP or wait until bootcamp? I've heard that severe dental work could have you sent home. I also have my wisdom teeth so I'll probably get those pulled (so I've heard). Money isn't an issue I have great dental insurance it would only cost a co pay for the appointment. Thanks for your input!!

HM DEEZLE 05-19-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureSailorEJD (Post 53737)
Hello all,
I ship out in 13 days, and today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. Turns out I have two cavities and a spot, all on my rear molars. One cavity could possibly need to have a root canal if not taken care of within 8-10 weeks. Should I have the work done ASAP or wait until bootcamp? I've heard that severe dental work could have you sent home. I also have my wisdom teeth so I'll probably get those pulled (so I've heard). Money isn't an issue I have great dental insurance it would only cost a co pay for the appointment. Thanks for your input!!

Wait until you go to bootcamp. You will get all of that taken care of with no problems. And yes you will get your wisdom teeth pulled. Hooyah SIQ (not really. SIQ sucks)

FCbeans 05-19-2015 09:37 PM

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll be able to deal with getting it done in one sitting which is what it'll be I'm sure. Just didn't want to screw myself over with a procedure I could have done now, but it'll save me a hundred bucks in co pays! Thanks again

BonzerAsp 05-19-2015 10:35 PM

Yea definitely wait until basic. If it's bad enough, they'll do it there. If not, you'll do it in A school or at your first command. SIQ is beautiful when at basic. Those were the two best days while there lol

HM DEEZLE 05-20-2015 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzerAsp (Post 53740)
Yea definitely wait until basic. If it's bad enough, they'll do it there. If not, you'll do it in A school or at your first command. SIQ is beautiful when at basic. Those were the two best days while there lol

Lol the first SIQ day was great after that I just laid there wondering what my brothers and sisters were doing all day... That sucked. At I missed a epic ITE session though.

sweetmtn 10-09-2015 09:24 AM

You leave in such a short time it is not worth doing it now. As for ANY type of medical/dental procedure, you would then need a waiver...and you don't have time for that now. Cleanings don't count...but a major thing like a possible root canal would be...let the navy do the work

rouhanashi 10-09-2015 05:05 PM

I missed all of my inspections except for the first half of the first one because of dental. I got 5 teeth pulled, who knows how many fillings, at least 2 caps, and a root canal I had to wait a very painful week on. You'll be fine lol

Navywife160 11-15-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM DEEZLE (Post 53738)
Wait until you go to bootcamp. You will get all of that taken care of with no problems. And yes you will get your wisdom teeth pulled. Hooyah SIQ (not really. SIQ sucks)

Do they put them completely under anesthesia. My husbands never had anesthesia or has ever been on pain meds. Just worried about him having a reaction.

NavyGirl2015 11-15-2015 06:29 PM

From my knowledge, the just get numbing shots.

LT Guppy 11-15-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 (Post 56683)
From my knowledge, the just get numbing shots.

Yep, just numbing. It's not that bad...

Navywife160 11-15-2015 07:11 PM

Thanks

YN2(AW)Williams 11-15-2015 09:29 PM

Some of the best fun in boot was watching your shipmates coming back from medical/dental high as a kite from the meds and trying not to screw up around the RDCs. We had one guy that was pretty much a constant verbal stream of what was going through his head, which pretty much amounted to "Oh F, F F F F F F F I made eye contact with chief...is he going to drop me now? My face feels funny. That female needs to wash her hair. Am I drooling?" etc etc

Navywife160 11-15-2015 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=PringleMan;56696]Some of the best fun in boot was watching your shipmates coming back from medical/dental high as a kite from the meds and trying not to screw up around the RDCs. We had one guy that was pretty much a constant verbal stream of what was going through his head, which pretty much amounted to "Oh F, F F F F F F F I made eye contact with chief...is he going to drop me now? My face feels funny. That female needs to wash her hair. Am I drooling?" etc :laugh:

DPearson 11-16-2015 07:54 PM

Alot of my division, me included, didnt need to have our wisdom teeth pulled. Lucky us. One guy did get something like 7 root canals though...

Raca1234 11-22-2015 02:44 AM

I was the only one in my div that didn't get their wisdom teeth taken out, but they told me they would have to spend more time than a typical removal so they had me wait. Still haven't gotten them out...

biruis 11-25-2015 01:28 PM

Boot camp dental rocks! Super quick and painless. Good luck!

RSmith 12-11-2015 08:28 AM

My son left for boot camp Dec 2, 2015. He has all four of his wisdom teeth, but they don't bother him. Do you think they'll pull them ? And at what point do they pull them, beginning or end of boot camp ? Thanks :-)

sweetmtn 12-11-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSmith (Post 56916)
My son left for boot camp Dec 2, 2015. He has all four of his wisdom teeth, but they don't bother him. Do you think they'll pull them ? And at what point do they pull them, beginning or end of boot camp ? Thanks :-)

If they felt the need to pull his wisdom teeth, they would have done it early so as not to interfere with training. So since he has been there now for a week or so, if the navy felt the need, he is probably already having them out or will shortly.

blueice6102 12-24-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rouhanashi (Post 56295)
I missed all of my inspections except for the first half of the first one because of dental. I got 5 teeth pulled, who knows how many fillings, at least 2 caps, and a root canal I had to wait a very painful week on. You'll be fine lol

So when you get teeth pulled, do you get dentures/veeners/implants? Or do you just walk around without teeth?

blueice6102 12-24-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 56684)
Yep, just numbing. It's not that bad...

No laughing gas or anesthesia? I figure I will need something like 8 root canals & 6 teeth pulled. I'm not a huge fan of dentist pain.

LT Guppy 12-25-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice6102 (Post 56997)
No laughing gas or anesthesia? I figure I will need something like 8 root canals & 6 teeth pulled. I'm not a huge fan of dentist pain.

It depends on each persons specific dental needs. But they generally just do the shots.

blueice6102 12-25-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 57002)
It depends on each persons specific dental needs. But they generally just do the shots.

So theres a small chance I may get more than the shots, but dont count on it. I will try & get as much dental work done now. Thank you.

LT Guppy 12-26-2015 07:38 AM

Keep in mind, if any of your dental work includes anesthesia it becomes a surgery and you have to report it to meps

blueice6102 12-26-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 57022)
Keep in mind, if any of your dental work includes anesthesia it becomes a surgery and you have to report it to meps

thank you.

gopacgo12 01-15-2016 02:50 AM

Can you get kicked out of boot camp if you need a lot of dental work?

LT Guppy 01-15-2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopacgo12 (Post 57261)
Can you get kicked out of boot camp if you need a lot of dental work?

This question has been answered many times.

It is very unlikely that, if you passed meps, you will be separated for dental.

JayMaple 01-17-2016 09:46 PM

they will fix it and pull wisdom teeth. also it does not hurt for the most part. teeth is not a big problem.