NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What is the longest you have to stand at attention for during bootcamp? (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5792)

mike 07-14-2014 09:33 AM

What is the longest you have to stand at attention for during bootcamp?

Rough estimate? We did a little standing at attention at DEP meeting and it sucks, I felt like I was going to pass out because I locked out my knees apparently lol. Thanks in advance

Atom_breaker 07-14-2014 09:41 AM

I've heard during inspections it's upwards of two hours.

mike 07-14-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atom_breaker (Post 46345)
I've heard during inspections it's upwards of two hours.

2 hours :What:

Is that with the strict position with hands on the side? And are you allowed to breath with your mouth or does it have to be your nose?

LT Guppy 07-14-2014 09:48 AM

I went through OCS not RTC, so it's a little different, but on the first day, we were at attention from about noon until 6pm with a couple bathroom breaks. Day 2 wasn't much better.
They should have you "popcorn" your knees (bend then slightly) every so often to keep the blood circulating.

Haasino 07-14-2014 09:51 AM

Attention is easy compared to prolonged periods at parade rest... this gets painful!

jzhaun 07-14-2014 09:57 AM

Yeah, for inspections 2 hours easy. And when we pissed off the RDCs but they weren't mad enough/didn't have time to IT us, they'd just have us stand at attention.

mike 07-14-2014 10:11 AM

Wow, what's the secret/cheatcode to mastering attention and parade rest if you have one? Please

classified9 07-14-2014 10:36 AM

I've found for whatever reason that I naturally slouch a little bit, but at the meetings I've started really keeping my back straight my shoulders back and my chest out and that helps along with shoes with good support. I think standing at attention in bates will make things a little easier than running shoes - but maybe I'm wrong.

jzhaun 07-14-2014 10:52 AM

I've discovered that staying on the balls of my feet helps my balance with keeping knees slightly bent, if I put my weight on my heels they'll go to sleep after a while.

But your feet are going to hurt in bootcamp regardless, breaking in new boots takes a while.

Atom_breaker 07-14-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 46357)
I've discovered that staying on the balls of my feet helps my balance with keeping knees slightly bent, if I put my weight on my heels they'll go to sleep after a while.

Just practiced that, I like that it naturally bends my knees.. As long as I can do it without being obvious about it that's what I am going to do!
Thanks for the tip!

BubbaGumps64 07-14-2014 03:03 PM

2 hours sounds about right for inspections. Don't lock your knees either. If you are going to move around every once in a while don't make it obvious. Your RDC'S will call you out on it. And it can be the reason you fail an inspection for military bearing.

BubbaGumps64 07-14-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46346)
2 hours :What:

Is that with the strict position with hands on the side? And are you allowed to breath with your mouth or does it have to be your nose?

You should probably breathe through your nose unless you want to be called "mouth breather" by your RDC'S.

mike 07-14-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 (Post 46365)
2 hours sounds about right for inspections. Don't lock your knees either. If you are going to move around every once in a while don't make it obvious. Your RDC'S will call you out on it. And it can be the reason you fail an inspection for military bearing.

Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspection at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day

LT Guppy 07-14-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46368)
Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspection at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day

Depending on what you fail you can be held back and put into the next division.

Also, be careful with that attitude. Your RDCs and shipmates won't like it, and you'll just attract unwanted attention to yourself.

mike 07-14-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 46370)
Depending on what you fail you can be held back and put into the next division.

Also, be careful with that attitude. Your RDCs and shipmates won't like it, and you'll just attract unwanted attention to yourself.

They aren't going to hold me back for the next division because of a sloppily made bed, that would be crazy. I got a 98 on my ASVAB. I've never heard of anyone getting held back in RTC too.

Also I am a really humble and introverted person btw, just so you don't get the wrong impression. And I got a 92 on the CSORT so I have the right mental makeup for NSW apparently.

LT Guppy 07-14-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46371)
They aren't going to hold me back for the next division because of a sloppily made bed, that would be crazy. I got a 98 on my ASVAB. I've never heard of anyone getting held back in RTC too.

Also I am a really humble and introverted person btw, just so you don't get the wrong impression. And I got a 92 on the CSORT so I have the right mental makeup for NSW apparently.

Yes, you can get held back for a number of reasons, including discipline/attitude problems, not following instructions, or failing inspections or tests. It happens every week. It's called being ASMO'ed.

If you are a humble person, you may want to take a look at the way you're coming across in your posts.

Atom_breaker 07-14-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 46372)
If you are a humble person, you may want to take a look at the way you're coming across in your posts.

:iagree:

FutureND 07-14-2014 05:46 PM

You will be in an 800 division, you won't be made to do extra workouts often. Most likely you will have to stand at attention for a few hours or go bird watching. The RDCs get creative and know you are TRYING to go spec war. They can, and will, hold you back for any number of reasons, and they couldn't care less what your ASVAB or CSORT scores are. The only time your ASVAB score will ever come into to play again is if you need to pick a new job.

jzhaun 07-14-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Look, the Navy doesn't really care how well you make your bed. What they care about is your ability to follow directions and be detail oriented. Making beds, folding clothes, uniform inspections, all of that is a way to test those abilities.

So yeah, if you leave your rack a hot mess, the Navy will think you'll do the same on a mission.

FutureND 07-14-2014 07:28 PM

Here is what Adm McRaven has to say about making your bed:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/scoop...make-your-bed/

Haasino 07-14-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Nobody actually gives a shit what you got on your ASVAB... that will hold no bearing on the Navy's determination on whether to keep you, kick you, mast you, ASMO you, promote you, etc. It only matters for determining what job you qualify for at MEPS... or what job you qualify for after you get dropped from the NSW pipeline.

Maverick07 07-15-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

You just don't get it do you? Nobody likes a bragger. Work hard, be humble, and everything should fall into place in the navy and life in general. You clearly come across as an arrogant and immature individual. Remember there is always somebody better than you. And an ASVAB score doesn't equate to shit other than picking ratings for the military. It's a high school level test.

meeli 07-15-2014 12:01 PM

please do not be that guy that your division hates. everyone works as a team there. there is no smarter than the others!

FlyNavy 07-15-2014 12:47 PM

I'm starting to think that Mike is just a troll.

Nobody is that hard headed that they have every single Sailor (Officer and Enlisted) on this forum telling him he needs to chill out and keeps posting the things he does.

If it is legit, he's not going very far in the fleet.

/r
CTT1

FlyNavy 07-15-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Oh, and they absolutely will roll you back (ASMO) for not being able to properly complete basic things like making your rack.

The Navy isn't going to trust you with sensitive jobs if you can't do something as basic as folding a sheet without supervision. Which it sounds like you're going to need a lot of.

/r
CTT1

LT Guppy 07-15-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 46408)
I'm starting to think that Mike is just a troll.

Nobody is that hard headed that they have every single Sailor (Officer and Enlisted) on this forum telling him he needs to chill out and keeps posting the things he does.

If it is legit, he's not going very far in the fleet.

/r
CTT1

We try to be really generous when it comes to possible trolls, just incase they really are that misguided. Unless there is something blatant or spammy, they tend to stay.
That's partly why I wanted to try the reputation system. I try to read every post, but frankly I miss some things. So hopefully with the reputation system, people will self regulate a little more.

mike 07-15-2014 02:53 PM

I can't figure out how to lock thread since I got answer I wanted.

Haters gonna hate. Haasono, I will post up once I make it through Hellweek.

LT Guppy 07-15-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46427)

Only Moderators can lock threads.

FlyNavy 07-15-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46427)

Go ahead and let your LPO or 1st class know that in the fleet. Let me know how that DRB goes for ya.

/r
CTT1

BubbaGumps64 07-16-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike (Post 46368)
Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspectio. at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day

It depends on your RDC'S really. No one in my division ever got IT'ed for it. Usually they just make you do A LOT of practice inspections for the next inspection. And i mean a lot, maybe 3 times a day which could take up to an hour and a half at a time. You may get chewed out and made to feel like crap afterwards too.

BubbaGumps64 07-16-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

You actually can. Say your rack constantly looks like shit in bootcamp, your RDC'S will notice. They can ASMO'd you if they feel you aren't fit to continue. I've seen it happen. Your ASVAB scores dont mean anything when you get to boot camp.

If FQA sees that and gives your division a compartment hit for that it won't be a good day either.

LT Guppy 07-16-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 (Post 46468)
You actually can. Say your rack constantly looks like shit in bootcamp, your RDC'S will notice. They can ASMO'd you if they feel you aren't fit to continue. I've seen it happen. Your ASVAB scores dont mean anything when you get to boot camp.

If FQA sees that and gives your division a compartment hit for that it won't be a good day either.

Frankly, it can happen in the fleet too. Ship berthings are regularly inspected by the XO, and if your compartment isn't up to standards you can expect to hear from the XO, the Chiefs' Mess, and everyone else in your berthing, and then reinspect until it passes.

FlyNavy 07-16-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 46473)
Frankly, it can happen in the fleet too. Ship berthings are regularly inspected by the XO, and if your compartment isn't up to standards you can expect to hear from the XO, the Chiefs' Mess, and everyone else in your berthing, and then reinspect until it passes.

That's if you don't land in DRB or on restriction for consistently not meeting standards.

/r
CTT1

FutureND 07-16-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 46478)
That's if you don't land in DRB or on restriction for consistently not meeting standards.

/r
CTT1

Or kicked out... Failure to adapt

FlyNavy 07-16-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureND (Post 46488)
Or kicked out... Failure to adapt

I always wondered what those guys went home and told their family and friends... Hmmmm

/r
CTT1

ronec 08-13-2014 12:44 PM

Someone mentioned breathing, what about clearing the throat? I hear a lot of people get sick during the winter time, if you clear your throat while standing at attention are you gonna get called out? Silly question, but just popped in my head.

Auridan 08-13-2014 12:50 PM

If they notice, probably so. Either practice doing it as quietly as you possibly can, or try to mask it under other noise, like the inevitable boot noise of the whole division being called to attention.

But RDCs don't like boot noise either, so you may just be screwed. Get used to that feeling.

BonzerAsp 08-13-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auridan (Post 47607)
If they notice, probably so. Either practice doing it as quietly as you possibly can, or try to mask it under other noise, like the inevitable boot noise of the whole division being called to attention.

But RDCs don't like boot noise either, so you may just be screwed. Get used to that feeling.

Well looks like I'm going to get called out a lot lol whenever I get sick, it's usually a cold or something close to that, and I always end up with a cough/ I've tried to resist the urge to cough in case I'm at attention, but after awhile it's just reflex and I cough anyways.

Haasino 08-13-2014 05:49 PM

Unless your RDC or FQA are unreasonably hard, no one should hit you for coughing, clearing your throat, sneezing, etc.

BubbaGumps64 08-13-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 47625)
Unless your RDC or FQA are unreasonably hard, no one should hit you for coughing, clearing your throat, sneezing, etc.

Yes. If you have to cough, then cough. Just dont make a scene.

BonzerAsp 08-13-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 (Post 47643)
Yes. If you have to cough, then cough. Just dont make a scene.

No dramatic opera coughing, got it lol