NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500 (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Questions for Active Duty HM's (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6297)

Raca1234 12-11-2014 10:02 PM

Questions for Active Duty HM's

Alright guys. So long story short, I've been waiting two years for HM, then when I finally got my contract last July, I was ecstatic. However, I really wanted a guaranteed C-school, and didn't get it. I didn't know if FMF could ever be guaranteed, but if it could I wish I could have gotten it.

For the actual question: Where would I get stationed as a basic Corpsman? Without an NEC? I would definitely take FMF if I was given the opportunity, however there's always the possibility they won't have female orders.

Second question: Where are the best places to be stationed?

As always, thank you all for your input! I know it's very much appreciated by everyone, including myself.

sweetmtn 12-12-2014 11:01 AM

The basic answer to your question of where you might get stationed....where ever the navy needs you and what is available at the time. You could be on a ship or on land...needs of the navy come first, not what you may want or not want.

FlyNavy 12-12-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raca1234 (Post 50612)
I don't want to take anything I wouldn't be happy in, and I would only take FMF. I've come to that conclusion after two years.

If that's really the case, then then the military probably isn't for you. You're absolutely going to be in a position at some point where you're not doing your dream job. If you're limiting yourself to FMF and FMF only, then you should probably look into something else because there's only so much of a chance to get that specific duty in that specific rate. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you need to be ready to accept it if it doesn't happen.

***EDIT***
That's not to say though you couldn't go FMF after your first tour if you don't get it the first time around. But that would take a few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raca1234 (Post 50612)
Second question: Where are the best places to be stationed?

You're most likely not going to have a say in your first duty station. After your first tour is when you actually get to start picking orders for real. Personally the East Coast was alright. I always hear West Coast sailors talking about how much better it is out that way; but the grass is always greener right? haha

/r
CTT1

Raca1234 12-12-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 50637)
If that's really the case, then then the military probably isn't for you. You're absolutely going to be in a position at some point where you're not doing your dream job. If you're limiting yourself to FMF and FMF only, then you should probably look into something else because there's only so much of a chance to get that specific duty in that specific rate. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you need to be ready to accept it if it doesn't happen.

***EDIT***
That's not to say though you couldn't go FMF after your first tour if you don't get it the first time around. But that would take a few years.

You're most likely not going to have a say in your first duty station. After your first tour is when you actually get to start picking orders for real. Personally the East Coast was alright. I always hear West Coast sailors talking about how much better it is out that way; but the grass is always greener right? haha

/r
CTT1

I'm only saying if I was offered a choice, I would take FMF over others. I'm perfectly fine with sticking it out, I know as long as I'm an HM I'll be happy. I'd be content if I was just a basic corpsman, or if they told me that they need me as a surgical tech, that's fine! I know I can always try something different down the road. I'll probably try and try and try, until I could get offered an FMF spot, but if it never happens, then it happens. Needs of the Navy I guess.

FlyNavy 12-12-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raca1234 (Post 50638)
I'm only saying if I was offered a choice, I would take FMF over others. I'm perfectly fine with sticking it out, I know as long as I'm an HM I'll be happy. I'd be content if I was just a basic corpsman, or if they told me that they need me as a surgical tech, that's fine! I know I can always try something different down the road. I'll probably try and try and try, until I could get offered an FMF spot, but if it never happens, then it happens. Needs of the Navy I guess.

Even if you don't get it the first time around, there's going to be another shot. If you really want FMF you're going to get it eventually.

/r
CTT1

Haasino 12-12-2014 06:45 PM

HM's are literally everywhere there's a Navy installation... when I was at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine, the only uniformed personnel were SERE students and instructors, MA's at the gates, and HM's. You could get orders across the world... or you could get orders right back to RTC and give P-Day recruits shots.

The one place you're very unlikely to go right out of school though, is to a ship... that's generally seasoned Corpsmen since manning on ships are less than shore-based medical clinics or hospitals.

Raca1234 12-13-2014 01:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback!