NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Master-at-Arms B640 (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   MA availability. (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4632)

SeaBee253 10-08-2013 12:33 AM

MA availability.

So I go back to meps in a couple of weeks to swear in and pick a rate. I really want MA, but after doing some research it seems like it's a really popular job; yet a lot of jobs are open in October or whatever. You can't believe whatever is on the Internet, so I want to ask you guys. My ASVAB score does qualify for MA. If I'm not offered MA I really hope Quarter Master might be offered. Any input would be great. :)

wdpballer 10-08-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaBee253 (Post 36507)
So I go back to meps in a couple of weeks to swear in and pick a rate. I really want MA, but after doing some research it seems like it's a really popular job; yet a lot of jobs are open in October or whatever. You can't believe whatever is on the Internet, so I want to ask you guys. My ASVAB score does qualify for MA. If I'm not offered MA I really hope Quarter Master might be offered. Any input would be great. :)

MA is a really popular job yet everyone gets it... just hope its available when you get there. I wanted MA, now im undes and im going to try to strike for it in about 2 years. best of luck

nick93 10-08-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdpballer (Post 36538)
MA is a really popular job yet everyone gets it... just hope its available when you get there. I wanted MA, now im undes and im going to try to strike for it in about 2 years. best of luck

im going undes too. how do you like it? what do you do?

wdpballer 10-08-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick93 (Post 36539)
im going undes too. how do you like it? what do you do?

im in a school right now, its pretty easy. just need to pay attention. i hit the fleet around nov 4. reporting to a cruiser.

Toxickiba 06-14-2014 09:14 AM

I got MA (i ship 12/16) but my counselor at MEPS advised me that ALOT of people who "get" MA at first usually loose it once they do the second background check and find things that weren't disclosed before.

Texasailor2015 06-14-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxickiba (Post 45291)
I got MA (i ship 12/16) but my counselor at MEPS advised me that ALOT of people who "get" MA at first usually loose it once they do the second background check and find things that weren't disclosed before.

From what I've seen MA only requires a secret security clearance as opposed to a TS that CT/IS's have to get. I would assume most of the people that lose their MA rate didn't disclose medical/financial information when going through the process at MEPS. As long as you were honest about everything you told them, I see no reason why you wouldn't pass the background check.

AustinMA 10-16-2014 01:34 AM

For those in the same situation, my tip is once you arrive at MEPS, be on the go non-stop. I had already taken my ASVAB at an earlier date, so I was able to go straight to medical and was the first one done along with an Army recruit. I was the first to be able to pick from the list of jobs and was able to choose MA. Luckily for me it was the LAST AND ONLY job left for MA that day. So, be prompt and alert, breeze through medical, and don't be afraid to ask questions and assert yourself in order to help hasten the process so you are able to talk to the guy with the list of jobs as soon as possible. Good luck, mate!

Navy1013 10-16-2014 07:03 AM

I'm going in undes also. I think everyone that wants MA ends up undes.

FSIdriss 10-16-2014 11:35 AM

Because it requires a Driver's License alot f people are turned down but you have a chance. You might ship out after 6 months

bluecoatmn 10-17-2014 11:29 AM

Anyone know why there are so many MA positions open lately? it is odd from what my recruiter said. Also, it is rare for MA to be assigned to a shipand it sounds like this is more common. does anyone have insight?

FSIdriss 10-17-2014 12:10 PM

Because Ma's have a lot of billets. Every base needs security and there are many naval bases and air stations. In addition to that i've seen MA's at joint bases and Army bases as well such as Fort Meade.

DPearson 11-14-2014 07:55 AM

I got MA as soon as i asked for it at MEPS, although my recruiter told me it was extremely popular and i might not get it, so have a couple back-up plans (Gunner's Mate and Quartermaster for me).

Squid350 12-07-2014 08:48 PM

Best of luck with it. The rate has been good to me.

DPearson 11-14-2015 07:36 PM

There are so many billets because the rate is expanding. All security on Carriers will now be handled almost exclusively by MA's. There is also a new base or something in Romania they are sending any new MA's to, and of course there are several new MA's being sent to Bahrain evry couple of weeks.

LT Guppy 11-14-2015 09:43 PM

This thread hasn't been updated in nearly a year. Please refrain from bumping old threads to prevent the spray of outdated information.