NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   AM = Aviation Structural Mechanic - Hydraulics (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   More AM rating info stuff... (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1717)

Craig 02-16-2011 10:20 PM

More AM rating info stuff...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...g_Badge_AM.jpg
(AM) Aviatioin Structural Mechanic (Hydraulics and Structures)

Aviation Structural Mechanics are responsible for the maintenance of many aircraft parts such as wings, fuselage, tail, control surfaces, landing gear, and hydraulic systems. AME's maintain and repair oxygen, cockpit and cabin pressurization, and ejection seat systems.

The Aviation Structural Mechanic - Hydraulics (AM), maintains all aircraft main and auxiliary hydraulic power systems, actuating subsystems and landing gear. Responsible for maintenance on the aircraft fuselage (mainframe) wings airfoils, and associated fixed and moveable surfaces and flight controls. These technicians may also volunteer to fly as Naval aircrew. Aircrew performs numerous in-flight duties and operates aircraft systems in turbojet, helicopter, or propeller aircraft.

The duties performed by AMs include:
  • Maintain aircraft landing gear system, brakes and related pneumatic systems, reservoir pressurization, emergency actuating devices, pumps, valves, regulators, cylinders, lines and fittings;
  • Service pressure accumulators, emergency air bottles, oleo struts, reservoirs and master brake cylinders;
  • Inspect, removes and replace components of hydraulic systems;
  • Replace gaskets, packing, and wipers in hydraulic components;
  • Remove, repair and replace aircraft fuselage, wings, fixed and movable surfaces, airfoils, regular seats, wheels and tires, controls and mechanisms;
  • Remove, install and rig aircraft flight control surfaces;
  • Fabricate and assemble metal components and make minor repairs to aircraft skin;
  • Install rivets and metal fasteners;
  • Paint;
  • Weld;
  • Fabricate repairs for composite components;
  • Perform non-destructive dye penetrant inspections (NDI)
  • Perform daily, preflight, postflight and other periodic aircraft inspections.
Working Environment
Aviation structural mechanics may be assigned to sea or shore duty any place in the world, so their working environment varies considerably. They may work in hangars or hangar decks, or outside on flight decks or flight lines at air stations. A high noise level is a normal part of their work environment. AMs work closely with others, do mostly physical work and require little supervision. AMs may also serve as flight engineers aboard certain aircraft.

A-School (Job School) Information
  • Pensacola -- 43 calendar days
  • Pensacola -- 11 caldendar days (only some recruits will attend this course)
Security Clearance Requirement: None (except for those who volunteer for aircrew duty)

Other Requirements
  • Vision must be correctable to 20/20
  • Must have normal color perception
  • Must have normal hearing
  • Must be high school graduate.
  • No history of drug abuse.

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
  • First Sea Tour: 48 months
  • First Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Second Sea Tour: 36 month
  • Second Shore Tour: 36 month
  • Third Sea Tour: 36 month
  • Third Shore Tour: 36 month
  • Fourth Sea Tour: 36 month
  • Forth Shore Tour: 36 month
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

** Note: AM, AME, and AD combine at paygrade E-9 to the rating of Master Chief Aircraft Maintenanceman (AFCM).

depsailorgroff 05-25-2013 08:29 AM

Great info Craig, but when it says the 11 days of A school that only some recruits attend. What are the circumstances on why only some go?

Haasino 05-25-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depsailorgroff (Post 32108)
Great info Craig, but when it says the 11 days of A school that only some recruits attend. What are the circumstances on why only some go?

That's probably AWAT and Firefighting... they teach you basics about tools, MSDS, corrosion, and other stuff. Firefighting is like bootcamp, only you're putting out an airplane fire on a flightdeck instead of spraying water in a compartment.

depsailorgroff 05-25-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 32111)
That's probably AWAT and Firefighting... they teach you basics about tools, MSDS, corrosion, and other stuff. Firefighting is like bootcamp, only you're putting out an airplane fire on a flightdeck instead of spraying water in a compartment.

Is there a way we can request that? How would I get into that?

Haasino 05-27-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depsailorgroff (Post 32112)
Is there a way we can request that? How would I get into that?

Everyone goes through Firefighting after INDOC... AWAT will depend on your school curriculum.

depsailorgroff 05-27-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 32215)
Everyone goes through Firefighting after INDOC... AWAT will depend on your school curriculum.

Youre talking about A school still right? And okay

Haasino 05-27-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depsailorgroff (Post 32218)
Youre talking about A school still right? And okay

Yes... your first week at NAS Pensacola will be INDOC (Indoctrination), where you'll get briefs, briefs, SAPR, briefs, SAPR, and more briefs. The week after you'll do one or two days or Firefighting. I'm not sure how long it is... I didn't do it.

depsailorgroff 05-27-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 32222)
Yes... your first week at NAS Pensacola will be INDOC (Indoctrination), where you'll get briefs, briefs, SAPR, briefs, SAPR, and more briefs. The week after you'll do one or two days or Firefighting. I'm not sure how long it is... I didn't do it.

Oh okay. Understood. I am so pumped.

An AM I talked to told me to request painting class/school? And something else cant remember what its called though

Leus 01-08-2016 11:39 AM

Hi guys. I going to Boot Camp very soon. English is my third language so I little nervous about that. How hard is in A-school in study aspect? How is AMs promotional part goes so far? Thanks everyone

BonzerAsp 01-08-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leus (Post 57130)
Hi guys. I going to Boot Camp very soon. English is my third language so I little nervous about that. How hard is in A-school in study aspect? How is AMs promotional part goes so far? Thanks everyone

This is a very old thread. I suggest starting a new thread with your question. I'll be glad to answer all your AM questions though