NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Something to Learn Before Shipping (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6986)

DPearson 11-16-2015 08:04 PM

Something to Learn Before Shipping

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but i didnt see one. As a recent bootcamp grad, I figure one thing that is easy to learn and pretty necessary in bootcamp is the basics for knot tying. You learn 3 knots while there, but knowing them ahead of time would be advantageous. The knots are the SQUARE knot, the CLOVE HITCH, and the BOWLINE. just google these knots with about 10 minutes of free time and a piece of rope about a foot and a half long and go at it. they are super easy.

LT Guppy 11-16-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPearson (Post 56709)
Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but i didnt see one. As a recent bootcamp grad, I figure one thing that is easy to learn and pretty necessary in bootcamp is the basics for knot tying. You learn 3 knots while there, but knowing them ahead of time would be advantageous. The knots are the SQUARE knot, the CLOVE HITCH, and the BOWLINE. just google these knots with about 10 minutes of free time and a piece of rope about a foot and a half long and go at it. they are super easy.

And don't pronounce it bow-line, it's bowlinn :nono:

Though, outside deck department, there isn't a whole lot of knot tying in the Navy these days...

YN2(AW)Williams 11-16-2015 09:41 PM

And with the bowline knot, learn the over the shoulder method, as well as the in-hand method. Some people are faster with one or the other, and being able to get that knot out fast can save your team precious seconds during marline spike.

Jeff 11-17-2015 09:47 AM

as i learned all those in the scouts.....I only remember the one-handed-bowline and the rabbit-around-the-tree methods.

Auridan 11-21-2015 12:11 AM

You'd better remember the bowline when you go through INSURV and you have to make sure every float coat has its accessories tied on with one at each end. Other than that, yeah...you're not gonna do knots unless you go to the Constitution.

Navylogk 11-21-2015 11:02 AM

What about learning how to tie a Monkeys fist?

blacktemplar 11-21-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPearson (Post 56709)

All I had to know was the square knot for my whites.

Auridan 11-22-2015 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navylogk (Post 56764)
What about learning how to tie a Monkeys fist?

Only real use would be at the end of a heaving line, but for that purpose I'm sure your deck department will 1) already have some made or 2) use a shot line instead.