NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pay during bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875)

Beau.B 07-28-2011 03:57 PM

Pay during bootcamp

Hey everyone,

I know that the question of pay has been covered in other areas, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question anywhere.

Right now I'm in DEP, and I have been told that if I get everything signed off in my START guide, and then when I get to boot camp, if I pass my initial PFA and the written test that they give you, that I will be promoted to an E-2.

My question is, if I get promoted to E-2 in boot camp, do I start receiving the pay rate as an E-2 right away? Or does everyone get paid E-1, "with less than 4 months of service", pay until after boot camp, or after 4 months?

Thanks!

-Beau

Oh, one more question, do they deduct your initial expenses out of just your salary? Or do they deduct it from your allowances (BAH, ect) as well?

asailorswife 07-28-2011 06:58 PM

You'll be an E-1 until completion of boot camp, so you'll receive E-1 pay until then. They'll deduct out of your pay, they will NOT touch your allowances. but your first paycheck (minus your BAH) will be pretty slim..

Beau.B 07-29-2011 09:17 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Craig 08-03-2011 01:52 AM

Beau - What rating are you? The reason I ask is if your in a rating that gives you E2 anyways, or if you're going in as an E3, then you don't have to worry doing that Start guide....

Beau.B 08-08-2011 02:00 PM

I'm going into the AECF program, though I'm not sure if I'll be ET or FC yet.

vabchsue 08-09-2011 06:59 AM

And old history here, but Michael got paid as an E-2 due to his years in NJROTC. Still treated like every other E-1 though....

LT Guppy 08-09-2011 05:39 PM

Yeah, I thought if you went in at a higher rate, you got "paid more per pushup." Still treated like an E1 for all other purposes though.

asailorswife 08-09-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy2010 (Post 12161)
Yeah, I thought if you went in at a higher rate, you got "paid more per pushup." Still treated like an E1 for all other purposes though.

Micheal is the only person I've ever heard of getting paid more DURING boot. Most promotions in rank are dependent upon boot camp graduation, so during boot, you're still an E-1.. It isn't until grad day you're anything higher than that usually. His case is different than most.

vabchsue 08-10-2011 07:29 AM

While we were chatting last night I did actually ask him again about his situation...he said that everything was correct with what happened when he went in re his pay, etc. :)

Shortone1286689 08-10-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 12094)
Beau - What rating are you? The reason I ask is if your in a rating that gives you E2 anyways, or if you're going in as an E3, then you don't have to worry doing that Start guide....

Hey Craig, I'm curious along this same string. I'm going in as an E-3. Do I receive E-3 pay while in Boot?

sweetmtn 08-12-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortone1286689 (Post 12177)
Hey Craig, I'm curious along this same string. I'm going in as an E-3. Do I receive E-3 pay while in Boot?

NO, you dont, everyone while at boot gets paid as an E1, and you wont get your E3 stripes until about a week before you graduate.

Craig 08-12-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmtn (Post 12200)
NO, you dont, everyone while at boot gets paid as an E1, and you wont get your E3 stripes until about a week before you graduate.

Sue, I think they do get back pay in boot camp to the rate they signed up for. I need to look at my kids LES to see what exactly happened. I'm not positive of what they do.

vabchsue 08-12-2011 07:35 AM

Sue, you are incorrect about this. I've got his LES in front of me and Dan (who is former Navy) verified what's on it for me once again as to what Michael was getting paid.

Natsfam09 08-12-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 12094)

Im going in as an e3 and I have studied the start guide, I am not to sure what you guys mean about doing the start guide. Is there a test or something?

Beau.B 08-12-2011 09:13 AM

One of the ways to get an advanced paygrade before going to RTC is to get the PQS signed off on the back of the Start Guide, pass your first physical test, and pass the written test they give you in the first couple weeks at RTC.

If you are going in as an E1, doing all that will bump you up to and E2.

If you're already going in as an E3, due to college/vocational credits, referrals, ect, the Start Guide and tests won't be necessary for advancement, but will still make your life easier in boot camp.

At least as far as I understand it.

-Beau

Natsfam09 08-12-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau.B (Post 12227)
One of the ways to get an advanced paygrade before going to RTC is to get the PQS signed off on the back of the Start Guide, pass your first physical test, and pass the written test they give you in the first couple weeks at RTC.

If you are going in as an E1, doing all that will bump you up to and E2.

If you're already going in as an E3, due to college/vocational credits, referrals, ect, the Start Guide and tests won't be necessary for advancement, but will still make your life easier in boot camp.

At least as far as I understand it.

-Beau

Ah..ok I gotcha yet.

Thanks.

vabchsue 08-12-2011 09:29 PM

I just noticed that I had written E-2 and not E-3 as to what Michael was getting paid. I missed that on the earlier post. But he was treated as an E-1 just like everyone else.