NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   CTR vs IS (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7045)

blueice6102 01-08-2016 01:24 PM

CTR vs IS

What is the difference? They seem very similar to me. Which is better?

jzhaun 01-08-2016 10:10 PM

ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.

blueice6102 01-09-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 57145)
ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.

Thanks. Which one leads to a better job after the Navy? Is one more desk based than the other?

jzhaun 01-09-2016 02:28 PM

Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).

FlyNavy 01-09-2016 08:01 PM

IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1

blueice6102 01-10-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 57150)
IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1

Thanks.

blueice6102 01-10-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 57147)
Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).

What is an "IA"?

LT Guppy 01-10-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice6102 (Post 57157)
What is an "IA"?

Individual Augmentee. Where you go somewhere by yourself to augment (support) another unit.
Most well known were IA tours supporting the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan. But they can be literally anywhere in the world (including places in the US)

JayMaple 01-11-2016 07:52 PM

ha PR is the best so be a PR

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie 01-12-2016 02:15 PM

CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.

blueice6102 01-12-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 (Post 57187)
CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.

Whats TIR? Time iin rate? I think I would like a 6 year contract. I live right by the IS school in Virginia. I think I am starting to prefer CTR/IS to the Admin rates of YN/AZ/PS.

jzhaun 01-12-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 (Post 57187)
Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury.

But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.

blueice6102 01-13-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhaun (Post 57199)
But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.

Interesting. Thanks for all your insight.

SBE6287 09-20-2017 12:55 PM

So I was in CTR A school and was dropped because I wasn't handling how technically advanced it is. CTR was the alternative rate my recruiter came with because I originally wanted IS but it wasn't available unless I did Reserve and I wanted active duty. How advanced is IS?