NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   PACT Seaman (SN) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Striking other ratings in PACT-SN (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6677)

Just4Kixs 05-18-2015 12:53 AM

Striking other ratings in PACT-SN

Per Navy website pdf:
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-Ele...reer-Track.pdf

It gives a list of seaman ratings that PACT-SN sailors can strike for with/without A schools. I wonder though, if PACT-SN sailors can strike for ratings not listed on that list such as HM, Intel, cryptology ratings, nuclear ratings, submarine ratings, etc...?

YN2(AW)Williams 05-18-2015 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just4Kixs (Post 53696)
Per Navy website pdf:
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-Ele...reer-Track.pdf

It gives a list of seaman ratings that PACT-SN sailors can strike for with/without A schools. I wonder though, if PACT-SN sailors can strike for ratings not listed on that list such as HM, Intel, cryptology ratings, nuclear ratings, submarine ratings, etc...?

That gets real complicated real fast.

I have anecdotal evidence from an ETN1 at my recruiting station that they had a PACT Airman strike nuke. It was totally bizarre and they had no warning, but it did happen. Within the week they appreciated it because the guy was buddy buddy with the YN on the carrier that did materials (paint etc.) requisition, so they were able to get everything they needed in short order. So, ya know, probability of striking nuke is somewhere between 0 and 100 percent.

I would imagine, however, that intel/crypto is going to be really really low in the chances of that happening for two reasons. 1) Security and 2) opportunity. Intel/Crypto do not do a lot of at-sea sea duty, so finding an opportunity to strike with them is going to be slim. Though please correct me if I am wrong CTT1 Griffin or other CTs.

Submarine is going to be a negative. Except for nukes who are automatically allowed on subs, everyone has to go through sub school.

HM on the other hand would be a lot more likely. Ships have a medical officer, so striking with them would be like being their assistant for a few days.

Just4Kixs 05-18-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PringleMan (Post 53698)

I have anecdotal evidence from an ETN1 at my recruiting station that they had a PACT Airman strike nuke. It was totally bizarre and they had no warning, but it did happen. Within the week they appreciated it because the guy was buddy buddy with the YN on the carrier that did materials (paint etc.) requisition, so they were able to get everything they needed in short order. So, ya know, probability of striking nuke is somewhere between 0 and 100 percent.

I would imagine, however, that intel/crypto is going to be really really low in the chances of that happening for two reasons. 1) Security and 2) opportunity. Intel/Crypto do not do a lot of at-sea sea duty, so finding an opportunity to strike with them is going to be slim. Though please correct me if I am wrong CTT1 Griffin or other CTs.

Submarine is going to be a negative. Except for nukes who are automatically allowed on subs, everyone has to go through sub school.

HM on the other hand would be a lot more likely. Ships have a medical officer, so striking with them would be like being their assistant for a few days.

I would have thought that if you have a pretty high ASVAB score that qualifies for it and came in as PACT-SN undes seaman, and if you decide to strike nuclear or those "brainiac" ratings, it'd be easy for you given you do a TS/Secret clearance. Submarines negative? What about those in SECF, STS, CS(subs) or even MMS rating(though it's engineering)?
To me , it makes sense with ratings listed close to seaman ratings like HM or MA but curious about the others.
Ships have a medical officer... from this site, I gather that smaller ships have only 1 HM, not even an officer, compared to carriers with a small sick bay vs. the 2 hospital ships.

ejrwelch 05-18-2015 08:14 AM

You can get an A school as a pact seaman. Typically it takes you doing undes for awhile longer in order to qualify but I know about 5 people who went undes and struck for CTI. I heard that you couldn't stike for nuke though so pringles story is news to me! But good for that guy! A friend of mine got dropped from CTI and went undes and instead of waiting for the CTN school he wanted(wouldve been undes for 2 years) he just tested and picked up OS.

FlyNavy 05-20-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

CT's have a ton of sea duty opportunities, including ships company (being stationed onboard like anyone else) and DIRSUP. I know first hand several PACT folks that made it into the CT community both at sea and ashore. You have to meet the ASVAB and clearance requirements like anyone else; but if you push for it, it's possible. I was on a ship for the first 4 years of my career, which is pretty typical of CTTs and a solid chunk of CTRs and CTMs. CTNs and CTIs are the only landlocked CT rates. Doing intel as an IS is a bit more 50/50 though. They can go to sea, but its typically once you're at the E6 level for CGs and below, or they deploy with something large like a carrier or amphib group.

Quote:

Sub service is voluntary and you'll be able to volunteer for that service if you meet the qualifications. When you're ready you'll talk to your commands Career Counselor about your options. You'll do this when you're striking a final rate though, not at the start typically.

Quote:

Only larger ships have actual medical officers. CG's and below typically only have an HM1/HMC and 1 maybe 2 junior corpsman. As someone striking into HM, you would most likely be going to a hospital or similar shore site for your first tour as an HM. If you were to strike into Corpsman you would be an HM from there on out and would be assigned those duties full time (not an assistant for a few days).

/r
CTT1

*Pringle, again try to avoid making big statements if you don't have the experience behind it. It can be misleading to deppers and could potentially affect their careers with incorrect information. But as always we love the enthusiasm ;)

YN2(AW)Williams 05-20-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 53744)
Sub service is voluntary and you'll be able to volunteer for that service if you meet the qualifications. When you're ready you'll talk to your commands Career Counselor about your options. You'll do this when you're striking a final rate though, not at the start typically.

I read his question in regards to that as asking if you can literally do a strike for a submarine rate, as in on a submarine.

Would what you said still be considered striking sub though? I thought striking a rate was more the process of trying out different rates until you found one that you qualified for, liked, and the Navy needed. I guess what I am trying to ask is volunteering for sub duty after you selected a rate be part of the striking process? Or would that just be volunteering for sub duty same as any other rate? Or am I just splitting hairs?

FlyNavy 05-20-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PringleMan (Post 53747)
I read his question in regards to that as asking if you can literally do a strike for a submarine rate, as in on a submarine.

Would what you said still be considered striking sub though? I thought striking a rate was more the process of trying out different rates until you found one that you qualified for, liked, and the Navy needed. I guess what I am trying to ask is volunteering for sub duty after you selected a rate be part of the striking process? Or would that just be volunteering for sub duty same as any other rate? Or am I just splitting hairs?

Once you have a rate then that's when you'd drop your package for sub duty.

Here would be a pretty common situation and what you'd most likely encounter:

I'm an undes sailor getting sent to USS Whatever. After a year or 2 I strike as an IT (or whatever, just an example), but I'm interested in Sub Duty. Once it's time to re-enlist and pick my new orders I would talk to my detailer and be like "Hey, I wanna go subs". With my package already completed (because I'm motivated and got it done early) I would submit that and the detailer would see if he can get me the orders and the schools.

There's other ways to do it, but when you're up for a new duty station is a pretty good time to do it. They won't let you out of your first command to go do it early in most cases.

/r
CTT1

mb11g 05-20-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

As an IS we do have sea duty billets. You can go on carriers which is not uncommon. But there are ways around that you can get squadron duty, or go 3912 which is ground and never go to "sea" also certain locations are considered sea duty like Bahrain. But also our rate is more of a CONOUS/OCONUS rotation more than just sea/shore. You can always get attached as well which isn't uncommon.

FlyNavy 05-20-2015 02:52 PM

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb11g (Post 53754)
As an IS we do have sea duty billets. You can go on carriers which is not uncommon. But there are ways around that you can get squadron duty, or go 3912 which is ground and never go to "sea" also certain locations are considered sea duty like Bahrain. But also our rate is more of a CONOUS/OCONUS rotation more than just sea/shore. You can always get attached as well which isn't uncommon.

^^^Yup!

mb11g, hit up LTJG Guppy to get your account verified as active duty. It helps the deppers know the difference between those in the Fleet and those waiting to join.

/r
CTT1

LT Guppy 05-20-2015 03:10 PM

CTT1, I fixed your post ;)

FlyNavy 05-20-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 53757)
CTT1, I fixed your post ;)

Bout time, ma'am! Gratz haha

V/r
CTT1

LT Guppy 05-20-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 53759)
Bout time, ma'am! Gratz haha

V/r
CTT1

Thanks

Me2hu2hto 01-01-2018 11:23 PM

Need some help

I’m a pact seaman, when it’s time to strike for a rate, instead of striking a rate can I strike for air pact or engineer pact? Is that possible