NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   PACT Airman (AN) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   A-PACT (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5942)

Navy1013 08-22-2014 03:27 PM

A-PACT

Is there anyone in the fleet can help explain the process of the A-PACT (AN). Someone on here has had to start as AN. I'm kinda lost, I don't have a clue about what is happening or what's going to happen. I can't find hardly anything on here or online. I don't know what to tell my wife, other than I'm shipping out Jan. 6th 2015.
:What:
:newbie:

MickeyMcD 08-22-2014 03:46 PM

You'll be doing all of the nitty, gritty work in squadrons (ex: chip paint, paint over chipped spot, etc). If you're going in as an E-1, it'll be two years before you're even eligible to get a rating. An E-3 could potentially get one in six months (how often this occurs, I can't say) On the flip side, however, you do get to see what all the different aviation ratings actually do so that you know what you might want to try and strike for. There are several other threads on this forum that cover the PACT programs in a bit more detail.

Navy1013 08-22-2014 04:07 PM

I had no desire to go into the Aviation field, but without walking out and possibly not joining (time restraints) I had to chose this. I did research on everything but PACT programs and Aviation. I didn't research Aviation because I was told a lot of the rates are overmanned or where it needs to be so the chance of getting Aviation was slim.

LT Guppy 08-22-2014 04:20 PM

As an A-PACT you will be limited to striking for Aviation rates. You can try to put in a DAR for a different job before you ship, but that is not guaranteed.

Also, read these two posts:
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5936
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4781

Navy1013 08-22-2014 04:32 PM

I'm putting a DAR in for GM, HM, MA. I know they are not guaranteed, but its worth a shot.

Navy1013 08-22-2014 04:34 PM

If the DAR does not get approved the I will make the best of the situation.

Navy1013 08-23-2014 03:50 AM

If you are A-PACT can you fill out a "Dream Sheet" of the place you want to go like Jacksonville, Norfolk, etc.... or do you just go where ever the Navy sends you and you have no say so??????

LT Guppy 08-23-2014 06:49 AM

Everyone fills out a dream sheet, but the reality is for your first assignment it doesn't mean much. For your later assignments, you have a little more influence over where you go.

Temen 08-24-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyMcD (Post 47848)
You'll be doing all of the nitty, gritty work in squadrons (ex: chip paint, paint over chipped spot, etc). If you're going in as an E-1, it'll be two years before you're even eligible to get a rating. An E-3 could potentially get one in six months (how often this occurs, I can't say) On the flip side, however, you do get to see what all the different aviation ratings actually do so that you know what you might want to try and strike for. There are several other threads on this forum that cover the PACT programs in a bit more detail.

As an Undesignated Airman, you will be going to the Line Shack right away. Guess what though? 90% of E-3 and below go to the Line Shack right away.
In the Aviation community (at least in every F-18 squadron I have worked with) they send their Airman to the Line Shack to learn the aircraft before they are expected to start fixing it. This will hopefully teach you basic skills like running support equipment (mobile generators, hydraulic pumps, jacks, tractors), tow aircraft and equipment, all required hand signals (we do work in very noisy places), confidence and responsibility (you will be in charge of ensuring a pilot's safe and successful launch and recovery, also every day you must inspect the whole jet for any issues that need reported).
So for dirty work, yes there will be plenty; but almost airman does it. At least you won't be painting jets or boats! The only real concern is how long you will be "stuck" in the line shack until you are able to get a rating. This will mostly depend on how long it will take until you are eligible to take the advancement exam and which ratings are open at the time.

Navy1013 08-24-2014 07:06 PM

Will I be able to stirke for AO? How would I be able to "see" what they do if I'm in the Line Shack working with F-18's

Auridan 08-24-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy1013 (Post 47876)
Will I be able to stirke for AO? How would I be able to "see" what they do if I'm in the Line Shack working with F-18's

You're not going to spend every waking second there. Part of taking PACT into your own hands (and a lot of other things, frankly) is going to be about spending your off time chasing what you need. And even if you don't actively follow them around, you'll see other ratings' daily lives just by being nearby.

Navy1013 08-24-2014 08:42 PM

That will be my biggest problem, being married with 2 kids and trying to get through the PACT program. Trying to balance spending time off to see other rates and seeing my family will be rough.

Auridan 08-24-2014 08:54 PM

Having a guaranteed rating would keep you away from home just as much as PACT will. Like I said, *everyone* needs to put in some off time to get stuff done sometimes. Not to mention underways and deployments.

Temen 08-26-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy1013 (Post 47876)

You will see plenty of AOs while in the Line Shack. They are usually loading and unloading as PCs (Line Shack qualification) prepare the aircrafts.
Also, there may be some downtime or not enough work to go around at times, so you can ask your LPO/Supervisor if you can go work with other shops.

Navy1013 08-27-2014 07:18 AM

So I would possibly be working with AO's in the line shack?

Navy_blu3 08-28-2014 02:26 PM

Im in a similar situation.I was going for MA but had to settle for this pact program.Now its a mystery if im ever going to get that rate. Im going in as an E-3 but up till this point it looks like im trapped in Aviation

FlyNavy 08-28-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy_blu3 (Post 48010)
Im in a similar situation.I was going for MA but had to settle for this pact program.Now its a mystery if im ever going to get that rate. Im going in as an E-3 but up till this point it looks like im trapped in Aviation

As an MA you were more than likely going to doing gate guard duty anyway. There could be some opportunity to move into security forces from the aviation side though. For instance, I'm a CT but I also did VBSS on the ship. It was a collateral duty but I still had no issues getting to strap up and kick some ass.

/r
CTT1

Temen 08-28-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy_blu3 (Post 48010)

Request to go TAD to security/ASF if your command will let you. This will allow you to work with the MAs and see if that's a rating you'd enjoy. Then hope for the best and cross-rate.

Navy1013 08-28-2014 07:05 PM

What is TAD

LT Guppy 08-28-2014 07:33 PM

Temporary additional duty

Navy1013 08-28-2014 07:48 PM

I will have to check into that when I get to my command

Navy_blu3 08-30-2014 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info!

Navy1013 03-13-2015 02:49 PM

Im back from boot. Any questions??

LT Guppy 03-13-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy1013 (Post 52683)
Im back from boot. Any questions??

Please start a new thread rather than bumping an old one.