NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bootcamp (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   When you leave for your "A" school after boot camp ~ (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2522)

Craig 05-05-2012 12:44 AM

When you leave for your "A" school after boot camp ~

When you leave for your "A" school after boot camp you might have to wait for your airplane. If it's a long time, just take a break and go to the USO. It free food and you can relax and use the computer...
Here is a link:
http://usoofillinois.org/ohare-center-terminal-2-uso/

btw: Remember there is a big difference between you departure time and your boarding time. The boarding time is the most important. You have to be at the gate according to your boarding time. If you get their at the departure time, then the door to the airplane is already shut and sealed. You will miss your flight.

ctraggie 05-05-2012 02:15 PM

Is our plane ticket paid for and delivered to us? Do we have to pay for it and order it, or just pay for it? How does that work?

sweetmtn 05-05-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctraggie (Post 16481)
Is our plane ticket paid for and delivered to us? Do we have to pay for it and order it, or just pay for it? How does that work?

The navy will take care of all the arrangements and pay for it, you just need to be there on time..but most times you are traveling from bootcamp so just get on the bus!

ctraggie 05-05-2012 06:19 PM

Thanks

bdmahl 05-06-2012 12:28 PM

When my family comes up for graduation, can I have them bring my laptop, cell phone, and iPod to the airport? Or when I get to a-school will they take them away again?

Laworlo 05-06-2012 01:12 PM

Great info thanks Craig! Question, what does USO stand for?

vabchsue 05-06-2012 05:31 PM

USO stands for United Service Organizations and is a nonprofit organization that provides morale and recreational services to members of the U.S. military.

sweetmtn 05-06-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdmahl (Post 16509)
When my family comes up for graduation, can I have them bring my laptop, cell phone, and iPod to the airport? Or when I get to a-school will they take them away again?

If you fly out Sunday night or Monday or any time that week after boot, and they can stay to meet you at the airport..then yes, you can take them with you to your A school.

Shando11 05-07-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmtn (Post 16519)
If you fly out Sunday night or Monday or any time that week after boot, and they can stay to meet you at the airport..then yes, you can take them with you to your A school.

What about if we are flying out on Saturday morning very early after PIR, can they still meet us at the airport to bring the laptop and cellphone?

prop827 05-07-2012 10:42 AM

If you're flying, yes they can. Have them meet you at the USO. There's plenty of food and things going on around the USO to kill time. Its a great organization and they take good care of all the military that comes through Chicago. I highly recommend family drop off cell phones, iPods and the like before your flight. When you get to where you're going and you are in indoctrination at your new command, you tend to have lots of free time and these things will help (til you get busy with actual school anyways). Plus its great for the waiting and the flight too.

As for the tickets, you'll get them about 2 days before graduation at your TOPU brief (Ticket and Order Pick Up). The Navy foots the bill, they give you what you need and you go. That's about it. Its a shockingly painless process aside from how tired you will be (The bus to the airport leaves at 1am typically, even if your flight is at 3 pm).

prop827 05-07-2012 10:45 AM

The USO office is open 24/7/365, they can meet you there any time. After your TOPU brief you'll know exactly what time your flight is and what time you'll be at the USO, they can come any time between then. Also, if your family is there, you can go to a ticketing agent and get a gate pass for your family so they can go through security and accompany you right to the gate and you can spend extra time with them before you fly out. I think (not positive) the USO office can also get you a gate pass. I highly recommend you do this if there's time.

BKinsman 05-07-2012 01:12 PM

Is it alright for your family to give you something (for example my laptop bag with laptop and such) at the airport? Would love having my laptop sooner than later. Smaller things I imagine you could fit into your sea bag, but a bit worried about adding an extra bag to it.

prop827 05-07-2012 01:15 PM

An extra bag is fine as long as it fits within the airlines carry on regulations. You will have your sea bag and garment bag for checked luggage and a backpack for a carry on (these 3 items are all issued to you). A laptop bag should be fine as most airlines allow one small carry on and one carry on for the overhead, but its up to the airline. Just remember, you can't have it until you are at the airport, you can't bring it back to RTC the night before.

BKinsman 05-07-2012 01:23 PM

Nice, and there shouldn't be any issues when I arrive at my A school either? No regulations I need to worry about? Heading to Corry Station in Florida.

prop827 05-07-2012 03:20 PM

It varries command to command, but other than the standards (weapons, etc), no not for a laptop or cell phone

Shando11 05-07-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prop827 (Post 16531)
The USO office is open 24/7/365, they can meet you there any time. After your TOPU brief you'll know exactly what time your flight is and what time you'll be at the USO, they can come any time between then. Also, if your family is there, you can go to a ticketing agent and get a gate pass for your family so they can go through security and accompany you right to the gate and you can spend extra time with them before you fly out. I think (not positive) the USO office can also get you a gate pass. I highly recommend you do this if there's time.

Thanks for all the info. Don't know why I am worried about all the minor details, but I appreciate the information.

enigma92 05-21-2012 01:46 PM

does anyone know how long they'll have after graduation before they go to A school. my husband is a nuke an is graduating in less then a month and before he left he said he would hav anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks off and now i'm hearing he only has a day before he goes to a school. i hoping someone could clear this up for me. please and thank you

sweetmtn 05-21-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma92 (Post 16880)
does anyone know how long they'll have after graduation before they go to A school. my husband is a nuke an is graduating in less then a month and before he left he said he would hav anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks off and now i'm hearing he only has a day before he goes to a school. i hoping someone could clear this up for me. please and thank you

Did HE tell you he only has one day? Also, even if he has to stay at boot for up to 2 weeks, you would only be able to see him over the weekend of his PIR.
If HE hasnt told you he is grad-n-go, he most likely isnt and you will have the weekend with him.

enigma92 05-21-2012 04:12 PM

before he left he said he his recuiters told him that he would hav 3 days to two weeks off. and thn his mom said shed done some research and said that he only had a day and i looked on the navy graduation web site and it kinda said the same thing. but never said he was a grad n go in any of the letters ive go so far.

sweetmtn 05-21-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma92 (Post 16885)
before he left he said he his recuiters told him that he would hav 3 days to two weeks off. and thn his mom said shed done some research and said that he only had a day and i looked on the navy graduation web site and it kinda said the same thing. but never said he was a grad n go in any of the letters ive go so far.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like your mom just doesnt want you to go...so since HE hasnt said he is grad-n-go, count on at east the weekend with him! So you said in a chat post that your mom is "controlling" and that you are an only child...you need to break that apron string now. You say you are married, be the wife your husband expects and go see him! He has made money while in boot, I am sure if you write him he will pay for it!

enigma92 05-21-2012 10:21 PM

no it was his mom who told me the one day thing and im trying to with my mom shes just uber stubborn. but she said if i wasnt able to find someone to go w shed come w me, she told me after work today. so il b going either way

scarswell95 06-19-2013 10:14 AM

This is probably a stupid question but is there a bus that picks us up from the airport that takes us to our A school?

warehimer33 06-19-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarswell95 (Post 33041)
This is probably a stupid question but is there a bus that picks us up from the airport that takes us to our A school?

I'm wondering the same thing haha

Haasino 06-19-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarswell95 (Post 33041)

Not always... it depends on your school, when you arrive, and how many are with you. You'll have the number for your school's quarterdeck and be instructed to call them when you arrive; they may send a bus, a duty van, or they may tell you to take a cab and save the receipt for later reimbursement.

johnplisac32 06-19-2013 03:42 PM

Glad my a school is in great lakes

Haasino 06-19-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnplisac32 (Post 33048)

Just don't miss your shuttle, or you're walking over there with your seabag... I saw it happen a few times. ;p

johnplisac32 06-19-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 33049)
Just don't miss your shuttle, or you're walking over there with your seabag... I saw it happen a few times. ;p

How far is it ? I thought I had to walk but transportation is better

camfurr 06-19-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnplisac32 (Post 33048)

HAHAHAHAHA have fun with that. My first A school was in great lakes, from december to March.... coldest I've ever been in my life

johnplisac32 06-19-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camfurr (Post 33052)
HAHAHAHAHA have fun with that. My first A school was in great lakes, from december to March.... coldest I've ever been in my life

I live in Ohio so I am no stranger to the cold :drunksailor: so my girl can come see me on liberty which is great although it would be nice to to in the south for school

scarswell95 06-19-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnplisac32 (Post 33053)
although it would be nice to to in the south for school

You DO NOT want to be in the south during the summer trust me

johnplisac32 06-20-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarswell95 (Post 33054)

Yea I know . My a school would start sometime in November:juggle:

warehimer33 06-20-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarswell95 (Post 33054)

Summer= May-October

scarswell95 06-20-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warehimer33 (Post 33058)
Summer= May-October

I remember last year going to Mississippi in July for a baseball tournament and it was 113. I told myself that that's the last time I'm going to that place ever again

warehimer33 06-20-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarswell95 (Post 33076)
I remember last year going to Mississippi in July for a baseball tournament and it was 113. I told myself that that's the last time I'm going to that place ever again

Yup. That's the South for ya. It's not so bad if you're used to it. I feel bad for the people that come to Florida from up North. They'll be miserable if they're outside.

FutureSailor24 07-06-2013 08:22 AM

My A School is in Great Lakes but it shouldn't be bad at all since it will be March when I go to my A School and July when I finish unless I get held at boot camp.

warehimer33 07-06-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureSailor24 (Post 33525)
My A School is in Great Lakes but it shouldn't be bad at all since it will be March when I go to my A School and July when I finish unless I get held at boot camp.

Yeah, Great Lakes is nothing in the summertime.

FutureIC 07-06-2013 11:42 AM

Yay I'm going to be at Great Lakes for A-school November until at least March... I'm going to freeze.

FutureSailor994 07-06-2014 03:22 PM

What about if your a-school is in Great Lakes then can they give you the phones and everything else?

Haasino 07-06-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureSailor994 (Post 45920)
What about if your a-school is in Great Lakes then can they give you the phones and everything else?

You'll be checked into your barracks over at NSTC before you meet your family on liberty, so they should be able to give you your phone and whatnot to take back that evening... you'll also have all day Saturday and Sunday for liberty.

bebajejo 07-26-2014 02:55 PM

Question about Graduation

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetmtn (Post 16883)
Did HE tell you he only has one day? Also, even if he has to stay at boot for up to 2 weeks, you would only be able to see him over the weekend of his PIR.
If HE hasnt told you he is grad-n-go, he most likely isnt and you will have the weekend with him.

Do they inform you through letters if they were to be a "grad n go"? How would they know that they are that, and when would they know? His graduation is on August 29th, and he will be attending A school in San Antonio, Texas. So do you think we will have the weekend with him?

jzhaun 07-26-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebajejo (Post 46886)
Do they inform you through letters if they were to be a "grad n go"? How would they know that they are that, and when would they know? His graduation is on August 29th, and he will be attending A school in San Antonio, Texas. So do you think we will have the weekend with him?

Some of the information in this thread is old. Generally speaking, last I heard, anyone who isn't staying in Great Lakes for A school will get sent to the airport early Saturday morning. Only those who have A schools in Great Lakes will have the whole weekend to spend with their families.

FutureSailor011 10-21-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasino (Post 33045)
Not always... it depends on your school, when you arrive, and how many are with you. You'll have the number for your school's quarterdeck and be instructed to call them when you arrive; they may send a bus, a duty van, or they may tell you to take a cab and save the receipt for later reimbursement.

Hello, I had a quick question about this post. If they ask you to take a cab, how will you pay them? You won't have your wallet (cash) or any way to pay, right? Thank you.

SonMeeker 10-30-2016 12:32 AM

You pay for the cab yourself, and you'll talk to PSD about getting reimbursed. The reimbursement would come in your next paycheck. I haven't heard of anyone taking a cab. They usually send a duty driver or you can ask the quarterdeck if they have the number to the duty van so they can pick you up.

Carolyn.2019 10-10-2019 08:30 AM

Hi someone told me that even if their flight to Pensacola is on Sunday, that they are still taken to the airport on Saturday morning. Can you confirm if this is true or not?

BetsyS 10-06-2020 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdmahl (Post 16509)

I'm not sure if every A school is the same but Corps school in San Antonio let us have everything. My dad brought my stuff to the airport in Greatlakes along with a small suitcase full of normal clothes that I packed for that reason before I left.

BetsyS 10-06-2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureSailor011 (Post 59055)
Hello, I had a quick question about this post. If they ask you to take a cab, how will you pay them? You won't have your wallet (cash) or any way to pay, right? Thank you.

Why would you not have a way to pay? Even at boot camp you need a card and a little cash. If you don't have an account going in, then you can start a navy federal account.