NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   IT A School Length? (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5794)

Spook 07-15-2014 10:30 AM

IT A School Length?

I just picked up a job as an IT. I received a sheet at MEPS saying that A School was 14 weeks. Other sources tell me that it can be almost 24 weeks. Can anyone clarify for me?

FlyNavy 07-15-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spook (Post 46401)
I just picked up a job as an IT. I received a sheet at MEPS saying that A School was 14 weeks. Other sources tell me that it can be almost 24 weeks. Can anyone clarify for me?

IT A-school is a self-paced CBT (computer based training) program for the most part. You'll have actual instructors as well, but a majority of the class is self-paced. That's why you're seeing a variance in the time frame.

/r
CTT1

Musicgeek007 07-16-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 46410)
IT A-school is a self-paced CBT (computer based training) program for the most part. You'll have actual instructors as well, but a majority of the class is self-paced. That's why you're seeing a variance in the time frame.

How does the CBT work? Do you have a set time frame it has to be finished in? Can you get behind? Does failing a test set you back the same way it would in a non-CBT A-school? How is class ranking determined if everyone finishes on different schedules? Or do ITs not have class ratings that can determine billet selection likr the other ratings. Just curious how this all works.

FlyNavy 07-16-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicgeek007 (Post 46457)
How does the CBT work? Do you have a set time frame it has to be finished in? Can you get behind? Does failing a test set you back the same way it would in a non-CBT A-school? How is class ranking determined if everyone finishes on different schedules? Or do ITs not have class ratings that can determine billet selection likr the other ratings. Just curious how this all works.

I'm pretty sure there are certain time frames specific things need to be done by, but what those are specifically you would need to ask an IT. We went to school in the same building and a good friend of mine was an instructor there. So I have a good idea of the general stuff but as far as course specific timelines it would be a good idea to ask an IT.

CBT as a whole works just like it sounds. You're on a computer and run through training courses. You'll do plenty of these in the military (NKO, GMT, ect) and you'll get plenty of time doing them in boot camp.

/r
CTT1