NavyDEP

NavyDEP (http://www.navydep.com/forums/index.php)
-   AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR) (http://www.navydep.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Ask a Naval Aircrewman (http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4163)

BWWhite2275 10-27-2016 06:23 PM

I am currently talking to a recruiter and I eat to go be AWR or AWS. I'm confused as to what steps I should take to have the best opportunity of getting AIRR. Outside of passing all requirements and asvab, is there any additional steps I can take to set my self up to pursue AWR & AWS?

FlyNavy 10-28-2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWWhite2275 (Post 59086)
I am currently talking to a recruiter and I eat to go be AWR or AWS. I'm confused as to what steps I should take to have the best opportunity of getting AIRR. Outside of passing all requirements and asvab, is there any additional steps I can take to set my self up to pursue AWR & AWS?

Answered via message but I will repost here:

Rescue Swimmer is considered a "challenge program", so if you meet the requirements physically there is a high chance you'll get a shot.

Specifically you should be talking to your area Spec War Motivator. They're a point of contact in the area for challenge program applicants.

Talk to your recruiter about it. But aside from voicing your desire and being able to meet the requirements, it isn't that hard of a process to get a shot at it.

/r
CTT1

tasteytots 10-29-2016 11:59 AM

Orders to NACCS, only 18days long? Thought it was much longer then that?
And classifications also said A school is now 18days? Anyone have any idea what is going on?

FlyNavy 10-29-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasteytots (Post 59097)
Orders to NACCS, only 18days long? Thought it was much longer then that?
And classifications also said A school is now 18days? Anyone have any idea what is going on?

The course length itself is listed on paper as 19 days, but that's actual training days; not the amount of time you'll actually spend there. So that may be what they're referring to and it's just getting lost in translation. You'll still have plenty of time in holding waiting to class up, extra PT days if you fail something, weekends and holidays, all kinds of things could happen. Most people spend a couple months there before moving on to their respective A-schools. Take a look at your orders and look for anything that is temporary duty; that's most likely where the rest of your time there is.

Even as a Fleet Returnee, which they try to get through as soon as possible, I was still there from October to December.

/r
CTT1

PhildoBaggins 11-09-2016 02:39 PM

Ok, I have searched all over the internet, and have not found a decent answer. And yes, this is a serious question, haha. How you use the bathroom when you're on a mission? I read before on this thread that the P-8s have a "real bathroom", but what about the smaller planes and helos?

FlyNavy 11-10-2016 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhildoBaggins (Post 59154)
Ok, I have searched all over the internet, and have not found a decent answer. And yes, this is a serious question, haha. How you use the bathroom when you're on a mission? I read before on this thread that the P-8s have a "real bathroom", but what about the smaller planes and helos?

Helos I have no idea. They don't fly for that long anyway so it's probably just suck it up.

On P-3's and EP-3's it's basically a little tower with an opening at the top. We call it an R2-D2 haha The trainee's usually empty it after each flight and hang it up.

P-8's have a working head and have it suctioned out after each flight, just like a regular commercial flight.

/r
CTT1

PhildoBaggins 11-10-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 59155)
Helos I have no idea. They don't fly for that long anyway so it's probably just suck it up.

On P-3's and EP-3's it's basically a little tower with an opening at the top. We call it an R2-D2 haha The trainee's usually empty it after each flight and hang it up.

P-8's have a working head and have it suctioned out after each flight, just like a regular commercial flight.

/r
CTT1

So basically, do not eat anything crazy that might give you the runs then? Lol, poor R2D2. Glad to know that will be one of the things that I can possibly look forward to if I get AIRC when I go to MEPS. I guess I will have to invest in some Vicks Vapo Rub for the nostrils. hahahaha.

FlyNavy 11-10-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhildoBaggins (Post 59156)
So basically, do not eat anything crazy that might give you the runs then? Lol, poor R2D2. Glad to know that will be one of the things that I can possibly look forward to if I get AIRC when I go to MEPS. I guess I will have to invest in some Vicks Vapo Rub for the nostrils. hahahaha.

We call taking a dump on the plane "breaking the code", as in its just the accepted code that you don't. Some people still do (there's a way to do it but it's not especially fun), and are then on known as Code Breakers haha There's even a pretty tongue in cheek patch about it that some people have (especially in the EP community, since we do intel anyway it makes it more of a joke).

/r
CTT1

PS: If you go AIRC now you're going P-8. P-3 and EP-3 are getting phased out. So enjoy that nice cushy Boeing haha

PhildoBaggins 11-11-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 59157)
We call taking a dump on the plane "breaking the code", as in its just the accepted code that you don't. Some people still do (there's a way to do it but it's not especially fun), and are then on known as Code Breakers haha There's even a pretty tongue in cheek patch about it that some people have (especially in the EP community, since we do intel anyway it makes it more of a joke).

/r
CTT1

PS: If you go AIRC now you're going P-8. P-3 and EP-3 are getting phased out. So enjoy that nice cushy Boeing haha

Cool. Thanks for the info. I will keep in mind, if I get AIRC, not to eat at any crazy restaurants before a flight. Also nice to hear I would be on a cushy Boeing, so I retract my previous statement about the Vicks. haha. My recruiter sent all my paperwork "up" to be reviewed, and said I should hopefully be able to schedule my MEPS visit in a few weeks.

On another note, Happy Veterans Day to all you active and prior service members, and Thank You for your service!

Kobynewport 02-15-2017 04:31 PM

Question about training pipeline

I'm depping in My rate is AW and I leave in a few weeks. I was wondering when they gave me my specifics rate such as AWF?

FlyNavy 02-15-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobynewport (Post 59526)
I'm depping in My rate is AW and I leave in a few weeks. I was wondering when they gave me my specifics rate such as AWF?

You'll get assigned at the end of NACCS. You can let the instructor know you have a preference, but it really just comes down to what's available that specific rotation and where they slot you. My class for instance only had like maybe 2 folks get AWF. Some rotations might not have it though since AWF is drawing down fleet wide with the P-3's being phased out. The rest were AWO (P-8) and then myself and the other CT types obviously stayed CT.

/r
CTT1

NavyHooyah 03-27-2017 10:51 AM

I just went to MEPS with the intension of signing as AIRC, unfortunately it wasn't available so I signed as a CTN. I really want to travel and my understanding is CTNs do not travel, also I have no computer experience. All the sailors I've been talking to say CTN is a great job with good advancement, great training in the field, and amazing jobs outside of the navy. I don't ship until Nov so I could easily change my rate until then. But what I'm wondering is should I keep CTN and be happy with my free training in the field and nice jobs when I get out, or be Aircrew and travel the world on the navy's dime and enjoy per diem and flight pay. Also, what can AWOs do for a living outside the navy?

FlyNavy 03-27-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyHooyah (Post 59667)
I just went to MEPS with the intension of signing as AIRC, unfortunately it wasn't available so I signed as a CTN. I really want to travel and my understanding is CTNs do not travel, also I have no computer experience. All the sailors I've been talking to say CTN is a great job with good advancement, great training in the field, and amazing jobs outside of the navy. I don't ship until Nov so I could easily change my rate until then. But what I'm wondering is should I keep CTN and be happy with my free training in the field and nice jobs when I get out, or be Aircrew and travel the world on the navy's dime and enjoy per diem and flight pay. Also, what can AWOs do for a living outside the navy?

So the biggest thing I want to touch on right off the bat is this idea that you can easily just change rates in DEP. That's not the case. You can put in a "request" via the DAR process (DEP Action Request), but at the end of the day you signed for the rate you did. You made an agreement between you and the Navy that you would enlist in order to be provided that training. So from now on you need to be under the assumption that you'll be shipping for that rate. Anything that happens besides that is something special and not the norm. The reason I say that is we as an organization wouldn't be able to function if we had our anticipated numbers being all over the place and unpredictable if people were changing all the time. It was up to you to sign the paper so they're expecting you to keep your word.

None of that is to say though that what you signed makes you "in" the Navy yet, however. You're not gonna be held to that enlistment until you actually sign your enlistment contract on the day you ship. I just wanted you to be aware that getting your rate changed isn't as simple as just changing your mind.

-break-break-

As a current Aircrewman, I can also answer some of your aircrew questions.

So flight pay and per diem are cool and all, but it's really not THAT significantly more money than you get other places. You could still make a fat check getting sub pay, hazard duty pay on a ship, etc.

Travel is good and you'll definitely get to see some new places and experience new things. If you've never been outside the country before, doing so via aircrew is a great way to go.

AWOs outside the Navy can get into more government work if they'd like or do some contracting gigs with some civilian firms. Like anyone else as well, they can always get training on whatever they want on the Navy's dime (Tuition Assistance and GI Bill) to go pursue whatever career they'd like!

Navy side for your career, there are tons of opportunities outside of just flying ASW/MARPAT missions as well once you're done with your first tour. Not many that I can talk about here, but there is a large pool of different opportunities within that community.

/r
CTT1

bwall0430 11-21-2017 06:56 PM

aircrew rate info

I'm graduating NACCS soon and was curious about the active duty side of AWF as well as AWS dry. These are the two common billets being given out right now. Where can you get stationed as an AWF and is it a decent gig?

FlyNavy 11-22-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwall0430 (Post 60280)
I'm graduating NACCS soon and was curious about the active duty side of AWF as well as AWS dry. These are the two common billets being given out right now. Where can you get stationed as an AWF and is it a decent gig?

I'm assuming you're asking about the FE track, and not the FTS route.

I'm not an FE myself so I can't speak to everything for them, but they do work long hours and are pretty involved with maintenance; much more so than the rest of us. That being said though, you're flying a lot more you're in the cockpit 90% of the time, and you get a great rapport with your pilots.

Since P-3s and my beloved EP-3 are destined to go away, most FEs that aren't in the community already can most likely expect to head to platforms like the C2 and I also think they might be taking a few people down at Tinker AFB for the E-6B. Additionally, AWFs that aren't FEs will serve as Loadmasters in VR squadrons.

Either way, you're flying. And flying is pretty dope.

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*
Just took a look at the AWF community sheet; it indeed looks like most of their new folks are headed for E-6B and C-2 platforms.

bwall0430 11-22-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin (Post 60281)

I'm not an FE myself so I can't speak to everything for them, but they do work long hours and are pretty involved with maintenance; much more so than the rest of us. That being said though, you're flying a lot more you're in the cockpit 90% of the time, and you get a great rapport with your pilots.

Since P-3s and my beloved EP-3 are destined to go away, most FEs that aren't in the community already can most likely expect to head to platforms like the C2 and I also think they might be taking a few people down at Tinker AFB for the E-6B. Additionally, AWFs that aren't FEs will serve as Loadmasters in VR squadrons.

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*
Just took a look at the AWF community sheet; it indeed looks like most of their new folks are headed for E-6B and C-2 platforms.

Thank you so much for the reply, not a whole lot of info on these two rates that's available haha. How about the dry AWS side? I understand you're flying on 53's and only out in Norfolk. What exactly do they do? Also, aren't the c-2's getting phased out? That's what we were told at least

FlyNavy 11-24-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwall0430 (Post 60283)
Thank you so much for the reply, not a whole lot of info on these two rates that's available haha. How about the dry AWS side? I understand you're flying on 53's and only out in Norfolk. What exactly do they do? Also, aren't the c-2's getting phased out? That's what we were told at least

C-2s are planning on getting phased out for V-22s. The Navy is buying about 4 a year and they're looking at making the full transition around 2021. Personally I think transferring the COD mission to V-22 is insanely dumb, so I'd expect they're going to run into plenty of issues along the way that might delay that timeline. So yes it's in the works, but it's not happening for a while.

53's I can't really speak to that much since I've never worked with them. I know they do a ton of mine clearing work though.

/r
CTT1

AirCrew_dad 02-14-2018 12:58 PM

Just want to confirm something. My sons is almost done with NACCS (the PT, swimming, dunker etc.) and should graduate next week while he awaits moving on to A-School. Are you saying he will get his rating AW(F/O/V) BEFORE A-School and his A-School is affected by that rating, or does he get assigned that rating AFTER A-School itself? Thanks again!!

bwall0430 02-17-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirCrew_dad (Post 60467)
Just want to confirm something. My sons is almost done with NACCS (the PT, swimming, dunker etc.) and should graduate next week while he awaits moving on to A-School. Are you saying he will get his rating AW(F/O/V) BEFORE A-School and his A-School is affected by that rating, or does he get assigned that rating AFTER A-School itself? Thanks again!!

He’ll get his rating before he leaves NACCS and go to A school for that particular rate.

BobL 04-25-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyNavy (Post 60281)

Fly Navy!

/r
CTT1

*EDIT*

My daughter graduated NACCS 11-22-17 and I believe her entire class went AWF. She is currently at FRS in Norfolk. She is training for C-2's.

Savi 08-25-2018 10:26 AM

I hope someone can help me out, but I’m currently undes in the fleet, im wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to get a package excepted to cross rate over to AWS. I’ve been doing everything I need to submit it, I’ve done flight physical, second class swim test, I qual with my asvab score and my Pfa. I just need a 1306 and once I get that I’ll be good. Any information on if it is hard or how long it could take would be great, thank you.

Rbishop 03-23-2019 08:45 PM

ASVAB waivers for line scores? I’m one point off from qualifying for aircrew, what are the chances of actually getting the rate? Currently in DEP as An-pact, had the recruiter submit a DAR and he seems fairly confident the waiver will go through

FutureAWOOOO 03-01-2020 03:17 PM

Prep for NACCS

Hello all, this is my first post on this site so I do apologize if I do anything wrong. Anyway, I’m scheduled to ship out to RTC 20200825, of course followed by NACCS. I’m already training my butt off as I’m not in ideal physical shape and I was wondering what else I could do to be ready for the challenges ahead. I am much more worried about the challenges in NACCS as that is known for being so demanding. If anyone has information about that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

sweetmtn 03-02-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureAWOOOO (Post 62132)
Hello all, this is my first post on this site so I do apologize if I do anything wrong. Anyway, I’m scheduled to ship out to RTC 20200825, of course followed by NACCS. I’m already training my butt off as I’m not in ideal physical shape and I was wondering what else I could do to be ready for the challenges ahead. I am much more worried about the challenges in NACCS as that is known for being so demanding. If anyone has information about that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

First let me say welcome aboard...there are a couple here in that rate, they will get back to you soon if they are not deployed.