PDA

View Full Version : Re-Class During Bootcamp

SR.AO
07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
So sice they give you an opportunity to re-class in BC, should I do it? If there is MA available (my dream job) and they offer should I take it? Will it put me back in BC? Will it alter my contract as far as bonus, time in the Navy, etc? Can you get SG (School Guarantee) in my contract to where I'm for sure going to get trained to be an MA? Just some hopes, wishing MA will be available during Basic :)

asailorswife
07-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I have no clue, so I can't help you, but make sure you know all the facts first.. A lot of MA's are going overseas with unaccompanied orders...

sweetmtn
07-20-2009, 05:48 PM
IF you decide to change rates while in boot camp, you really need to be careful. It should not put you back in your training, as all training there is the same for everyone. Your time in the navy is basically all the same, everyone signs up for 8 years, mostly 6 years active and 2 reserve or 4 active and 4 reserve, check your contract for this. As far as your signing bonus...yes it very well could change, your bonus was awarded for the rate you got, it could very well go down or be eliminated all together..make sure you ASK before you sign!

Craig
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
:iagree:

I totally agree with Sue...

You have to be really careful AO.... Being an AO you probably signed up for a $8K bonus for going into that rating... Since you are would not complete your "A" school, then that bonus is gone.....

Secondly, if you get one of the longer "A" schools, then you would have to extend your present contract to 6 years. They don't give you the training for free....

If my heart was set on MA or something else, then I would do it. Sometimes money isn't even part of the equation.

SR.AO
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Ah, good advice. Yeah I got a $6K bonus for AO. Yes, we all know my heart is set on MA, but I guess we'll take it as it comes. :)

Logicalchaos02
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
You dont really get to re class at boot camp. They just go over your record with you. They never asked me if I wanted to change rates. They just said, ur an MA, do you have your drivers license, and thats it. So I dont think you can actually change your rate. I dunno, I could be wrong.

SR.AO
07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I've heard from numerous people and my recruiters they tell everyone which jobs are available and ask for volunteers to re-class if they want. BUT I heard they do this alot to alter your original contract that got you hooked and enlisted. This way they might be able to give you a new contract with no bonus, or get you in for more years. Or they say if you do another 2 years we'll add 1K to your bonus. stuff like that. They do it, but I dont think for everyone. Who knows.

kforbs126
07-21-2009, 07:49 AM
You will not be able to reclass at boot camp unless it is into a special warfare program or they deny you your security clearance and they have to give you a new rating. They specifically told us during classification that you will not reclass nor change your current contract. Personally it seems your recruiters are lying to you to keep you happy.

SR.AO
07-21-2009, 10:48 AM
well they're not lying to keep me happy since I dont WANT to re-class during BC. It would've been cool only if I got MA, and my contract didnt get changed too much