PDA

View Full Version : Attaining your security clearance.

Haydaman712
01-23-2017, 01:36 AM
When does the process start? Also besides the criminal/legal background check is there a medical background check? As in do they conduct a separate medical check (unrelated to what MEPS already has on record and the flight physical) into your past medical history?

Barbazu
01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
It's different for different people. It depends on their workload when they can get to you. My clearance started before I left for boot camp. As for medical records, they won't check those unless one of your reference brings something up. For example, if John Smith says, "I'm really proud of how he overcame his bipolar disorder, and decided to join the Navy." Otherwise they won't check medical records.

contigo26
01-29-2017, 10:36 PM
It's different for different people. It depends on their workload when they can get to you. My clearance started before I left for boot camp. As for medical records, they won't check those unless one of your reference brings something up. For example, if John Smith says, "I'm really proud of how he overcame his bipolar disorder, and decided to join the Navy." Otherwise they won't check medical records.

so what happens if it got started before bootcamp and you backed out and didnt want to join anymore just curious what will happen?

CoolHandL
01-30-2017, 10:11 AM
so what happens if it got started before bootcamp and you backed out and didnt want to join anymore just curious what will happen?

What are worried might happen? The worst case is that some taxpayer money is wasted. And the government finds out some stuff about you. If you back out, that is the end of the story. They aren't going to come after you about anything.
Somewhere in all those forms is one that authorizes the military to conduct a background check. In answer to your original question, that is when you can assume the process starts. If you have something that you don't want the government to know, best not to sign that form. If there is something that might disqualify you for entry, just disclose it and seek any waivers you might need.