PDA

View Full Version : AS info

NavyASjoe8
12-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Any AS out there that can let me know how A school is and life of an AS. Wanted to do something in aviation with a skill or trade that transferred over to civilian. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wes272
12-30-2016, 01:21 PM
AS's are Aviation Support. They work on support equipment and teach other rates how to operate them. The skills definitely transfer to the civilian world, its mostly Diesel engines and small engines. I am An AD that works on MH53Es and we use a crap ton of support equipment. The school house is in Pensacola just like most others. If you need any other advice or info feel free to ask.

BonzerAsp
12-30-2016, 05:54 PM
When you're up for orders in "A" School, if you have a choice, avoid TACAMO (VQ-3 and VQ-4). That's if you want to actually learn and perform your rate your. If you don't and would rather work on college or something else, then I suggest it. Our AS' work with our LS' and run Supply/Tool Room. They don't touch or see any SE whatsoever.

Wes272
12-30-2016, 06:43 PM
When you're up for orders in "A" School, if you have a choice, avoid TACAMO (VQ-3 and VQ-4). That's if you want to actually learn and perform your rate your. If you don't and would rather work on college or something else, then I suggest it. Our AS' work with our LS' and run Supply/Tool Room. They don't touch or see any SE whatsoever.

Wow bronzer I learned something new haha. I just know what I've seen from our 900 division.

BonzerAsp
12-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Wow bronzer I learned something new haha. I just know what I've seen from our 900 division.

Haha yeah I feel bad our for our AS'. They get screwed over in a sense. They also have it super easy here though

Wes272
12-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Our As don't really know anything there's like 1 guy who does all the work and the others just chill mostly it kinda a sad scene

NavyASjoe8
01-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Def appreciate the info. Thanks for the heads up also about stayring away from VQ-3 and VQ-4. Not looking to go in and not learn my rate which is why I chose it. Actually wanted to go AD but couldn't get a opening both times I went to MEPS.