PDA

View Full Version : disqualification

carz2435
02-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi! I have done tons of research and still can't seem to find the answer to my question. I know the qualifications, I was wondering if I meet all of those and get the scored needed on the ASVAB, could I be deemed disqualified? and if so what are some standard and not so standard disqualifications? Thanks!

jzhaun
02-03-2016, 11:05 PM
If you pass medical, your security clearance, and all the rate specific stuff like ASVAB line scores and having a driver's license and not being colorblind, not having moral turpitude waivers etc you are by definition qualified.

Doesn't mean you will be offered it though, because that depends on availability.

carz2435
02-03-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm going into DEP, so my next question to that would be, when I go to MEPS and I am qualified all around but its not available at that current time, would they still not offer it to me knowing my ship date may not be for many months, when that rate might be available by my ship date?

LT Guppy
02-04-2016, 05:08 AM
If you pass medical, your security clearance, and all the rate specific stuff like ASVAB line scores and having a driver's license and not being colorblind, not having moral turpitude waivers etc you are by definition qualified.

Doesn't mean you will be offered it though, because that depends on availability.

this post pertains to MA, but for all other rates you are not required to have a drivers license.

LT Guppy
02-04-2016, 05:12 AM
I'm going into DEP, so my next question to that would be, when I go to MEPS and I am qualified all around but its not available at that current time, would they still not offer it to me knowing my ship date may not be for many months, when that rate might be available by my ship date?

Jobs open and close daily depending on a number of factors. What may be offered today may not be tomorrow.
If MA is not offered when you go, you can:
Leave without signing and come back another day (most recruiters will tak you back 2 or 3 times before you are just wasting their time)
Sign for a different job
Sign for a different job and put in a DAR to request MA if it opens, knowing that DARs are a request not a guarantee.

MEPS will offer contracts up to a year in advance.

YN2(AW)Williams
02-04-2016, 10:08 PM
One question I would have is are you totally sold/locked in on a specific rate? Guppy mentioned MA so I am not sure if there was another conversation that I missed.

It is a good idea to try and come up with a short list, maybe three or so, that you would be ok doing. You should definitely still aim for your goal, but be prepared for your chosen rate not being available for a while.

Also, your ship date is determined by the rate you choose. When the Navy offers rates to new recruits, they are filling a pre-scheduled class section. The exact details of when the class will start may vary by a couple of weeks depending on how many people how quickly enlist with that rate, but typically they know the month that class will start well ahead of time.

Anyways, point is if you are trying to leave by a certain time, be prepared with a couple of rates, just in case your primary is not immediately available.

LT Guppy
02-05-2016, 05:12 AM
One question I would have is are you totally sold/locked in on a specific rate? Guppy mentioned MA so I am not sure if there was another conversation that I missed.

This thread is posted in the MA rate info section ;)

YN2(AW)Williams
02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Derp. I never look at that haha, I just read that it was a recent post.

carz2435
02-06-2016, 08:50 PM

It is a good idea to try and come up with a short list, maybe three or so, that you would be ok doing. You should definitely still aim for your goal, but be prepared for your chosen rate not being available for a while.

Also, your ship date is determined by the rate you choose. When the Navy offers rates to new recruits, they are filling a pre-scheduled class section. The exact details of when the class will start may vary by a couple of weeks depending on how many people how quickly enlist with that rate, but typically they know the month that class will start well ahead of time.

Anyways, point is if you are trying to leave by a certain time, be prepared with a couple of rates, just in case your primary is not immediately available.

If I go to MEPS and I don't score what I need can I come back to retake the ASVAB to get the required score and then the job? I talked to one of my coaches who is a Marine, and he said don't sign on for a job that you don't want because if you meet all the criteria they are gonna want you and they will work to get you the job you want.

YN2(AW)Williams
02-06-2016, 11:21 PM
Definitely do not sign for a job you don't want to do. While the Navy is better than the other branches about changing jobs, you are still going to be stuck doing whatever you signed for over a period of at least 2 years.

And your coach is mostly right. Navy recruiters have much less control over the process than most believe. Really they sell you on joining the Navy, do your entry paperwork, then send you to MEPS. The detailer at MEPS is the guy who is going to be giving you that job, not your recruiter. The recruiter can't even tell you what jobs will be open in what time frames without getting that info from the detailer. And any recruiter that tells you otherwise is lying through their teeth.

The general advice though is to try and pick a couple of jobs that you might want to do. There is no telling what will be available or what you might get disqualified for. It could be that the next ship date for MAs is not until December of this year. Highly unlikely, but that is the sort of thing that can happen. Or you could find out that the civilian techs working the eye exam equipment are idiots that don't know how to administer the tests right and label you color blind despite every optometrist you have ever been to diagnosing you as color normal. That one right there will DQ you for pretty much everything in the armed services and once the Medical Officer signs it there really is not much you can do to change that. Which is precisely what happened with me.

The point is not to scare you or try to steer you away from MA. Far from it, please pursue whatever you desire. Just, you know, have backup plans. And backups for your backups.