PDA

View Full Version : APACT to Nuke?

Tyuiop4856
05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
So I autoqualified for the Nuclear field, but because of some security clearance issue, one that is getting worked on, I couldn't go in as a Nuke and went in as an PACT airman. My question is will I ever be able to go into the Nuclear field after the PACT program. My recruiter told me that I should try to fill out the STA-21 after e3 and go to college and try going in the Nuclear field as an officer. I just want to know what my options are.

Edit:Actually I'm going in as an PACT seaman if that makes a difference

FlyNavy
05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
So I autoqualified for the Nuclear field, but because of some security clearance issue, one that is getting worked on, I couldn't go in as a Nuke and went in as an PACT airman. My question is will I ever be able to go into the Nuclear field after the PACT program. My recruiter told me that I should try to fill out the STA-21 after e3 and go to college and try going in the Nuclear field as an officer. I just want to know what my options are.

Personally I've never seen that happen, but that's because not many people qualify for NUKE or can pass the school. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it might take some under the table type of deals to get done.

What was your clearance issue? I was an SSO (guy who processed clearances) for a while so maybe I can give you a clearer picture.

Also, Officer is a great path if you're going into the Nuclear field. If you're considering making it a career then it could be a great option for you.

/r
CTT1

Tyuiop4856
05-29-2015, 02:46 PM
The issue is my mother not being a US citizen yet. The career counselor at MEPS put me in the PACT program as a buffer until my mom finished her citizenship

Just4Kixs
05-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I have Heard of a case where one guy was PACT-AN and went to nuke school... it was very rare though, but if it was done, it can be done is how I see it.

FlyNavy
05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
The issue is my mother not being a US citizen yet. The career counselor at MEPS put me in the PACT program as a buffer until my mom finished her citizenship

What country is she from originally? That will make a big difference in the future.

/r
CTT1

Tyuiop4856
05-29-2015, 08:18 PM
She is originally from Malaysia. My dad is from China, but he has a a work permit and a social security number.

BonzerAsp
05-29-2015, 10:42 PM
She is originally from Malaysia. My dad is from China, but he has a a work permit and a social security number.

That's going to make getting a clearance a pain in the ass for sure