PDA

View Full Version : So, how to prep for CTI school -- Mandarin?

blacktemplar
11-04-2014, 07:30 PM
How would one prep for CTI school, trying to learn mandarin? I'm looking to try and make my time easier because the dropout rate scares me.

jzhaun
11-04-2014, 11:05 PM
If you go to the dliflc website, you should be able to find a program called head start (http://hs2.lingnet.org/), which is offered in just about all the major languages. I've heard some of the audio doesn't really sound right, but the mandarin course is pretty decent.

I would not recommend focusing on only one language though, because you never know what's going to be available. I got Mandarin, which was my first choice, but there were people in my class who wanted other languages (Arabic, French etc) and a lot of people in other languages who told me they were jealous because they had wanted Mandarin. Familiarize yourself with everything and you'll have a good idea which languages you'd be okay with when the time comes. I'd also suggest your local library, but don't go out and buy anything (it isn't worth it).

JoeSpook
11-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Le français est une option? Merde...

Of course, they have the one language I actually have classroom experience with. Wrote a children's book in French at the end of my 3rd year of university, even, complete with stick figure drawings (with a disclaimer of "dans le mode de XKCD").

Ah well, it doesn't matter. I'd still prefer Korean or Mandarin.

JoeSpook
11-05-2014, 05:35 AM
dans le mode de XKCD

Ha! And of course, the current strip is about language.

Permalink to linguistic chuckles (http://xkcd.com/1443/)

blacktemplar
11-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Jzhaun, are there any languages that generally have open slots?

jzhaun
11-05-2014, 09:05 AM
French actually isn't an option for navy, although you can get it if you're army. That person didn't do their research ahead of time.

Generally speaking, there will always be at least two or three of the big six (Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, and Korean) open at any given time. Occasionally you might get Hebrew. From what I've seen, Farsi, Russian and Spanish are generally open, and the cat iv will vary.

But you'll also be competing against everyone else from your division as to which slot you get. They take not only your preference and your dlab score into account but also your previous experience with language. So if there's someone in your group who already knows x language, they'll be the most likely to get it (Spanish is an exception, if you speak Spanish but have a high dlab, they might still give you a cat iv). Self study isn't really enough to make a difference, I'm talking years of study at the minimum.

blacktemplar
11-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd rather not learn Russian, and get stationed in someone I don't want to go. :(
But we'll see -- just kinda worrierd about a really crappy duty station.

TBBURKE
11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm preparing by enjoying all the free time I have left with no study obligations :)

JoeSpook
11-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm preparing by enjoying all the free time I have left with no study obligations :)

Aye aye... It's going to be vocab vocab vocab once we get there. May as well breathe easy now. I think that's the best prep we can have, both for RTC and DLI.

chemelle1
11-08-2014, 05:27 PM
French actually isn't an option for navy, although you can get it if you're army. That person didn't do their research ahead of time.

Generally speaking, there will always be at least two or three of the big six (Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, and Korean) open at any given time. Occasionally you might get Hebrew. From what I've seen, Farsi, Russian and Spanish are generally open, and the cat iv will vary.

But you'll also be competing against everyone else from your division as to which slot you get. They take not only your preference and your dlab score into account but also your previous experience with language. So if there's someone in your group who already knows x language, they'll be the most likely to get it (Spanish is an exception, if you speak Spanish but have a high dlab, they might still give you a cat iv). Self study isn't really enough to make a difference, I'm talking years of study at the minimum.

So, I scored a 103 on the DLAB, but I have experience speaking Japanese and living in Asia...so do you guys think I have a chance at a CAT 4 language? I'm hoping so. I kind of rushed myself on the test and am not happy with my score, but there was a 6 month wait to retake so I went ahead with my original score. I was hoping for Mandarin or Korean but that's probably not going to happen.

TBBURKE
11-08-2014, 07:31 PM
retake in boot camp to imporve score

jzhaun
11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
So, I scored a 103 on the DLAB, but I have experience speaking Japanese and living in Asia...so do you guys think I have a chance at a CAT 4 language? I'm hoping so. I kind of rushed myself on the test and am not happy with my score, but there was a 6 month wait to retake so I went ahead with my original score. I was hoping for Mandarin or Korean but that's probably not going to happen.

A 103 is going to get you Spanish. Anything else is a shot in the dark. Language experience only really helps if you have the scores to back it up. You may be given a chance to retestin boot camp, but don't count on it.

Also, as a general precaution, your time spent in Asia may complicate things. You might get through school but then be stuck on hold for months/years unable to do the job. I have some acquaintances that this has happened to.

chemelle1
11-09-2014, 10:12 AM
A 103 is going to get you Spanish. Anything else is a shot in the dark. Language experience only really helps if you have the scores to back it up. You may be given a chance to retestin boot camp, but don't count on it.

Also, as a general precaution, your time spent in Asia may complicate things. You might get through school but then be stuck on hold for months/years unable to do the job. I have some acquaintances that this has happened to.

Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. Where are Spanish CTI's stationed?

FlyNavy
11-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. Where are Spanish CTI's stationed?

They can get stationed anywhere the Navy needs their specific skills.

It's not advisable for us to discuss where we are sending specific personnel for specific jobs of a classified nature on a public forum. OPSEC folks =]

/r
CTT1

TBBURKE
11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Its not guaranteed you'll get Spanish don't worry about it until you know what you get. Generally Spanish goes to Texas